M40 or S40A1 carry?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Buzz, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

My strong preference for a concealed carry gun is either .357 or .40S&W. I also have a strong preference to have the manual safety. I have an M40A1 but that would seem to me too large for the job, plus it doesn't have the manual safety. My S9 has the safety but isn't a .40 or .357 or convertible to either. It's been a good while since I saw an S40, which would fit the bill exactly. I also have a shot at a very reasonably priced minty M40 with night sights (if its still there). I prefer night sights for a defense gun (as much as I like the trapezoids). Couple of questions.

How will the size of the new SA1 compare to the old S, and the M40. The heights of all guns involved are all fine (the S obviously a bit better) but is the slide length of the new SA1 comparable to the old M?

I guess the question really amounts to whether the old M40, in terms of length, is comparable to the new SA1 so that they would be comparably sized concealed carry guns. I haven't seen slide dimensions on the new SA1.

I'd be tempted to skip the new S40A1, carry the M40, and wait for the S357A1 to buy new (and see how I feel about the manual safety after carrying a gun with it for a while.)

Buzz

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

The S9A1 is reasonably the same size as your S9.

The S40A1 has a redesigned slide to combat the cracking issues experienced in the first generations. It's longer, comparable almost to the M slides.

I'm not a huge fan of the redesign. I, personally, would like to find an old S40 and swap slides to my S9A1 and get one of Bigtaco's uncaptured rods to find the ideal spring rate and eliminate the crack issue.

[​IMG]

S40A1 vs. S9A1

[​IMG]

Right side.

[​IMG]

Left side.

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

not sure how much carrying you've done. maybe you've got all your notions settled from experience.

i notice that the barrel length is of little consequence from a concealing concern. the grip is what ends up printing. from that perspective, the s series is much more concealable. that 1/2" really makes a difference.

the long slide can get annoying if you do a lot of driving. the slide hits the seat and wants to push your belt up.

i kinda like the look of the new s40. i like the lines and angular look of the extended slide.

much more importantly for you....

since you have the s9 and an m40, you can put the m40 slide onto the s9 frame. seriously!!! now you have a long slide s 40. with manual safety. the mags and ejector are the same.

you'll have a 1/2" of barrel and slide hanging out. but it won't hurt anything. it'll just look funny.

after noticing this modularity of design, i slapped my m9 slide on the s40. ran like a champ.

one of the products i will eventually develop will be a dust cover adapter to do just this. put the m slide on the s frame. to me, you've allready got a great carry set up. you just didn't know you did.

try it out. see what you think.

IF... IF.... steyr would sell the manual safety parts. i could add the manual safety to the a1 series. but steyr may not ever go for that. ever.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That is exactly what I was thinking. Personally, I don't think the the difference of S(A1) vs. M(A1) grip size is significant enough to make one "more suited" for carry. I'd just assume wrap my whole hand around the grip with no troubles, especially since I think the M(A1) grip conceals better than almost anything else I've ever carried.

And for the car thing - it will only be an issue if you are spending a lot of time driving, and you can always setup an in-car-carry-system for such occasions. You would probably be able to get the pistol faster, anyway. Several manufacturers make in-car setups that are pretty nice.

IMHO, and I believe most others, you are better off with no manual safety for carry. This topic has been tossed around in-depth, and the general consensus is if you are safety minded and have a good holster, the gun is definitely not going to "go-off". If you involved in a life or death encounter, you are going to wish your gun did not have a manual safety - you won't be able to fire any pistol "fast enough" in that type of situation.

Do you have any previous carry experience, Buzz? That would really help us focus this dialog...

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I have carried guns, but not concealed. I will have my concealed carry permit in the next 90 days. Pursuant to Georgia's Peaceable Journey Statute I carry a loaded gun in my vehicle. I have tried a number of guns mostly with Fobus or BlachHawk paddle holsters. I prefer shorter gripped guns as they seem to conceal better and are less obtrusive when I get behind the wheel of my vehicle.

As of right now I prefer a manual safety. I understand the arguments both ways as to safeties and the Steyr safety in particular, but my preference remains what it is. I'm aware that the grip height of a gun is the major player, but slide length is also a factor, but less so. I'm trying to maximize a number of variables to come up with the best piece. Everyone's comments are food for thought (thanks) and my preferences are certainly modifiable based on your experiences

Bigtacos suggestion regarding using the m40 with the S9 frame fits my bill exactly. The extra .5 inches on the slide is negligible and not a major player anyway. In any event, after some time with concealed carry I'm thinking that I will re-evaluate my preference for a manual safety which should be pretty close to when I will hopefully be buying a S357A1. The one thing about the manual safety is that I don't necessarily have to use it, and I see zero chance of it being accidentally engaged.

I think that ultimately what I end up as a "permanent" carry gun will be shaped by my actual experiences, and finding something now that is as close to where I think I may want to go is a good starting point.

BTW, I passed on the minty M40 with night sites. I already ahve an M40A1 slide that I can use on my S9, and I can put my M40A1 slide on my M9 for the same gun that I could have bought today. $350 for night sights (all that I would be gaining) is a waste. Instead I bought a 98% plus 1981 vintage Walther P1. I've always wanted one ever since I collected Replica Model guns when I was too young to own a gun.

Any other comments are appreciaed and valued. Like I said, I have preferences but not the actual concealed carry experience to base them on.

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

When are the S-A1s going to be available?

And what are mag capacities?

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

For my taste a duty-sized 4" gun is as small as needed as a primary carry gun.

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

As it turns out to go with the M40 slide on the S9 frame I'd need to get S40 magazines, This has me thinking that I already have the S9 so why not just use that gun as is and find a good 9mm defense round? I've generally used Federal Hydra Shoks, but I would consider the 124 gr. Golden Saber JHP. Night sights I can live without since the gun has such good natural pointing tendencies for me.

Problem solved!?

Buzz

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

you could also "roll your own" s40 mags.

m40 10 rounder body/ m40 12 round or m9 15 round base plate. no worries mate.

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Stoke it with DPX 115s, then your problem is solved.

I carry an S9A1 with a tweaked S40 mag for 12+1 147 gr Gold Dots, until I use up the supply and switch to DPX.

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The one problem with putting the M40 slide on the S9 frame is the overhang. The overhang itself doesn't bother me but there is a considerable gap opened up to the inside of the pistol where the guide rod assembly is visible. If Bigtaco makes the dust hood cover adapter that he has mentioned it could be a go, but leaving the internals of a gun exposed bothers me, even though it is most certainly harmless. I think that I'll be happy with my S9 for now.

One point that my search has illuminated is that we need some kind of compatability chart for the major components of these pistols. The modular design allows for so many possibilities that some kind of reference as to what will go with what would be most useful.

I really don't know of any other regular production pistol as modular as Steyr other than maybe HK. It really is a huge selling point that Steyr should emphasize in their marketing.

Buzz