M40 nicks in case head after firing

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by spawr, Apr 29, 2007.

1. spawr

spawr Guest

Has anyone had a nick in the case head after firing an M40. It is right on the edge of the case head. I can't see what would cause it and I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Likely it's the loaded chamber indicator. Puts a small indent into the case head.

3. spawr

spawr Guest

Wow. That could be, but it is a pretty deep nick in the brass. I'll go check it out right now.

4. spawr

spawr Guest

Thanks, Thunderbear. That looks like it. The LCI is pretty stiff. Now I will look around to find out how to cure that.

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

doesnt hurt anything. when new it will leave a good mark after good breakin it doesnt leave much.

have taken fired casings and reloaded them up to 8 times all ejected fine.

6. spawr

spawr Guest

Once you pointed it out, I found the LCI to be really stiff. I have fired 1500 rounds at least through this and I think it is probably crud. My plan is to remove the rear sight, dismantle the LCI and clean out the whole thing. While I am at it, I may as well clean out the firing pin mechanism as well since I will be in the neighborhood, so to speak.

This nick, in some cases, was pretty deep. Since once fired brass is so cheap, I discarded those that look too deep and the rest I will clean up and reload, then check to see if my handiwork paid off.

Thanks for your input!
    mls