M40 Look at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by jjuarez, Mar 14, 2007.

1. jjuarez

jjuarez New Member

Hello this is the second time that this happens to me, im not sure if it is the ammo or if my mags are not working properly, or even worse if its something else.

It happened with about 100 rounds shots, my M40 its a 13xxx serial so it should be working just fine, I always clean it and it has just about 2000 round shot overall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I pulled back I was able to get the mag out without problem but the case of the bullet shot its stuck in the barrel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried to get it out but it didnt come out I will take it to the vendor but I wanted to know M40 owners opinion.

This is the ammo that I used cause its cheap for practice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards

Jorge[/img]

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Get rid o' that cheap f'ing ammo, Bro

Wulf

3. jjuarez

jjuarez New Member

:mrgreen: hehehehehehehehehehe thats what I thought.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i would definitely blame the ammo before blaming the pistol

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

pictures are fuzzy.

could be 3 things.

steel cased ammo.
    ejector
    extractor.

not making the ejector out to well in the pics.

6. mikey

mikey Guest

My M40 had the same problem.

I see you're using Russian-made steel-cased ammo. I was also shooting Russian steel-cased ammo (Wolf brand) and it worked fine for maybe 500 rounds, but then suddenly failures to extract started occuring. Apparently that steady diet of steel-cased Wolf ammo had caused premature extractor wear , causing it to improperly "grip" the empty shell casings and leave them in the chamber after firing.

In my case, BRASS cased ammo still continued to function okiay, but stell cased Wolf and nickel-plated high performance ammo (like Speer Gold Dots) both gave me extraction problems (I'm not sure, but I think the nickel-plated cases were "slippery" and not allowing the extractor a good grab).

I sent it to Steyr, and they quickly repaired it for free (they installed a new extractor) but of course that's a pain. My only advice: have Steyr examine the piece (and replace the extractor if necesary) and then don't shoot any more of that steel-cased ammo!

And, if anyone wants to buy a few boxes of Wolf 40 S&W, I still have them sitting on the shelf!

7. jjuarez

jjuarez New Member

Thanks Mikey!!!!!!!!!!

8. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Do not use cheap Russian made ammo in the Steyr - it absolutely will NOT work with it reliably.

Try Gold-Dots, or Hydra Shoks, Whitebox works pretty good too.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Steel cased - no,no. Hopefully it is not laquered also.

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Case is stuck in barrel?

CHEAP AZZ AMMO!!!!

stop using that crap before you destroy your fine weapon!

Garbage In, Garbage Out!!!!

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

General rule of thumb concerning ammunition.

1) Eastern European firearms can use steel cased ammo.

2) Western European and American firearms use brass cased ammo.

The only exception to #1 above is the CZ-75, use brass cased ammo.

12. Boyandhisdog

Boyandhisdog Guest

My Brand New M9-A1 was doing this with Russian Steel cased ammo after 100 rounds. The same ammo worked great in a Glock. I sure hope Steyr can fix mine up. I love my Steyr but not if I have to wonder if the ammo I picked up in the heat of combat will work or not.

13. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I would never trust my life to ANY ammo that has not proven itself in the firearm I carry! I don't care what the brand and reputation of maker. If I can't run 300 to 500 rounds without any failure it won't be in my carry gun. Now at the range plinking away at cans a little hassle my be ok.
    Well that's my 2 cents..

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I'm a firm believer that steel-cased Russian ammo belongs in Makarovs and AKs, and nowhere else.