M40 Dis-assembly problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by turbojet1, May 27, 2013.

1. turbojet1

turbojet1 New Member

Happy Memorial Day! I'm having a dis-assembly problem with my M40 handgun while trying to remove the sub frame from the polymer grip. I can't get the manual safety engagement pin to come out. I've followed the online sub frame removal tutorial to the letter I believe and still can't get it to come out. I've lifted spring that retains it and then tried to push it out with some what excessive force (I believe). It has moved a very small amount just enough it is not centered and the spring isn't engaging the slot and that took a lot of pressure. Am I missing something or should I man up on it? I don't want to force it and the guy that did the youtube video just used thump pressure to push his out.

Any useful information or personal experiences with removal would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Turbojet

2. test733

test733 New Member

It should be removable with your fingers only. It was hard for me at first, I have even dinged the frame with screwdriver, while trying to get the pin out. Just wiggle it and also move slide catch up and down at the same time. Be sure to align the lever to the line on the frame. Sometimes it pops a little bit out, but catches on something inside and I have to struggle with it for some time. If you still cannot get it out I advise to push it from inside the frame with something, do not try from outside and always move slide release up and down while pushing.

3. turbojet1

turbojet1 New Member

Test733,
    Thank you for the quick response, but its not my slide release that I'm having problems with it's the manual safety engagement pin that I can't remove sorry I wasn't clear on that. My slide lock is easily removed but the safety is tighter than a peckers hat band. I cant get her to budge. Does the safety need to be on to remove it? I've tried it both ways with no luck.

Thanks again,
    Turbojet

4. dash

dash Member

Mine has been tight from day one. As you said, lift up the spring and push the manual safety left or right, then I use a pc a wood to push it out until I can grab it between my fingers and pull it the rest of the way. BTW, after removing the slide. the manual safety pin is the first thing I remove. That way, the sub frame is still held in and down by the locking lever and all should be lined up for easy removal.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. turbojet1

turbojet1 New Member

Dash,
    Thats good to know i wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong I'll try again latter and see if I can get her going.

Turbojet

6. turbojet1

turbojet1 New Member

Mission complete!! Just required a little hammer love and a wrapped punch. I was nervous as hell though! I got another quick question for the Steyr pros, when I vigorously insert the magazine (tac reload) my M40 automatically returns to battery. Is this a design feature or should I chill out a little? I believe it was brought up before but I don't think it was ever answered. My gurl is kinda old but I love her she was made in 99. On another note I have never had a single issue with my weapon in over 12 years and still have the original extractor. I've got 2000 to 2500 down the tube as well (not alot for that time frame).

Turbojet

7. test733

test733 New Member

Great that you have found a solution to your problem! I consider automatic return to battery a feature. It was not designed that way, as much as I know, but proved to be useful.

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

sometimes not always a good mag insertion will trip the slide release and the gun will go into battery.
    keep your booger hook off the bang switch and things will be fine. dont count on it to happen every time I know I couldnt with my M9/M40 but when it did occur during shooting sports coarse it was nice. be sure to keep the gun pointed down range or safe spot to shoot.

9. turbojet1

turbojet1 New Member

:salute: Affirmative Booger hook checked. And that is good advice ,I keep it out of the guard during reloads and drills. It keeps me and other shooters safe.