M40-A1 won't return to battery

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by IrkedCitizen, Nov 19, 2007.

1. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

I just picked up my second M-A1 and I think there is something wrong with it. While the slide is racked back and there is an empty magazine in the mag well, I pull back on the slide a little and press the slide release lever down and it doesn't return to battery. I have to eject the mag and then it will. It does it with both of the magazines it came with. My other M-A1 will return to battery when there is an empty mag in the gun.

Is this a problem?

I ordered it from CDNN and they have a 3 day return policy so I kind of need to know if this is a defect pretty fast.

Thanks.

2. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

well i have since gotten it to go to battery after I loaded the mags and racked the slide back until each mag was empty. But will racking the slide to get rid of the brass a couple times the slide didn't go all the way forward. Stopped about 4mm from the end.

I don't know. Hopefully I don't have one of the problematic M-A1's.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Definitely is NOT proper operation, as you describe it......

Can you send some photos? PM me if ya need to.....

...and Definitely, call CDNN immediately and make them aware of the issue.... maybe they will just swap it out....

4. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

What would you like pictures of exactly?

I don't know if I could get a picture of it stuck back how it was when I first created this thread as it now will return to battery by means of pulling the slide back slightly and pressing the slide release. and it will also return to battery by just pressing the slide release lever without pulling it back.

I called CDNN and they told me to call back tomorrow morning and ask for Randall (sp?) he is the manager.

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

so now it is functioning properly every time?

:?: :?:

6. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Man, I don't know what to think. The other m-a1 I had didn't do that. But it will go into battery now. There are however on the magazines the plastic feed piece. I don't know what it is called has a divot/piece missing on the back of it. Like when it went into battery a piece of metal in the slide took the corner of the back plastic lip off of it. Maybe that was the reason it wouldn't go into battery? I tried to get a good picture of it but the camera wouldn't pick it up well. So I made a drawing in ms paint to show what I mean. I'm not sure if this is normal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only way I will know if it properly ejects and goes to battery would be to take it to the range and shoot. Here is a picture of it not going completely into battery after I racked the slide with rounds in the magazine. It ejected the one round and loaded the next round but didn't go completely into battery.

[​IMG]

I am going to call Randall in the morning and just see what he says.

7. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Sounds more like a break-in issue than anything else. I would use a good lube on the rails like Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite (liberally on a new gun) and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it, then see.

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I just randomly grabbed a few of the 40+ Steyr mags I have, and NONE of them have the marks in the follower you describe....

I have 8 Steyrs [and counting] and NONE of them exhibit your symptoms.

I am curios to hear what they tell you.....

9. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Okay so I talked to him and he said that it could have been just some quirk from a break-in perspective or it could have been something bigger. He told me that I should clean it up, lube it, and go to the range and shoot through four magazines and see if the problems continue. He told me that He would give me over the 3 days return period and that if there is a problem he will give me an RA number and that I could send it back to them for replacement or send it to steyr and have them check it out. That if I decided to send it back to them for another they would have to ship the gun back to my ffl for a transfer and if I sent it to steyr they could send it directly back to my house.

So I am going to clean it, lube it, and go to the range this weekend and put a few rounds through it.

Hopefully it was just some little break-in issue like kraigster and Randall said. But I still have that uneasy feeling. This is my only my second pistol I have owned the first one didn't do this but I sold it to someone local. So I don't know. Time will tell I suppose.

10. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Put more than a "few" rounds through it, more like 200 rounds. I experienced the same thing with my new Walther P99. I now have 500 rounds through the gun and it performs flawlessly. The problem can be ammo-related as well - I was using Rem UMC and found out later it is a dog in this gun (mine is a 9mm). And with the P99 9mm, it is recommended that the first 50 rounds be +P to really give the gun a workout and smooth things out. Very important and I can't stress this enough, that you liberally lube the rails. And I am sold on Enos' Slide Glide Lite for this purpose. Let us know how things work out.

11. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

This wasn't ammo related. At first the problem was it wouldn't return to battery with an empty mag in it. I am going to shoot a box of WWB through it. I might pick up another box.

12. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Okay, so I ordered some slide-glide lite with the super cheap brush and he is going to try and get it to me by Saturday. Since I am going to the range Saturday afternoon. Hopefully it'll make it in time.

13. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

It's the best stuff on the market as far as I'm concerned. If it doesn't help, then we have to look elsewhere for the source of the problem. (We can rule out lubrication and the need for break-in.) Apply the Slide Glide Lite very liberally to the slide rails and run the slide back and forth on the frame unloaded several times before you go live.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I think it is a break in issue, mostly with the mags. I had this occur with my new A1 with the included mags. I observed some slight differences in follower as described, and it was catchiing on that back corner of the folower. It only did it with the A1 and the new mags. It did not reproduce in the A1 with old mags or in M40 with the new mags.

15. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I am beginning to think we may want to check our mag springs too. I have both short and long springs in my 15 round M9A1 mags. The short ones were causing an occasional problem with the slide not locking back after the last round. I'm told this is a fluke but I've now experienced three 15-round mags with too short springs. Go figure. Surprisingly, the mags marked 14 vs. 15 have all had long springs and have given me no problems whatsoever. Otherwise, I love my M9A1. :)

16. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Well I am going to the range tomorrow. The slide glide lite actually got here today so I was pleasantly surprised to see it on my front porch. I ordered it Tuesday night and it went out Wednesday and even with the holiday it got here today. :D

I need to go pick up another box of WWB. I am going to shoot 200 rounds through it and see if I have any more problems.

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

18. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

So I went to the range and put 200 rounds through her. The only issue I had was one FTF somewhere in the 30 round number. My Sister was shooting it so she could have limp wristed it or it could have been a dud. But other than that everything seemed fine.

I have to get used to the trap sights I was all over the place. Haha. But I was more worried about the gun being in good working order rather than accuracy.

But all seems to be well. Though I tried to take the trigger assembly out but it wouldn't come out. It was a PITA just to get the take down lever out of the frame. I lined it up with the line on the frame and pulled upward on it but it would only come up a little bit. I then had to like spin it to get it out. Is that normal removal? *shrugs*

19. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Mine was the same way for a short time. Now it comes right out.. A little practice will go a long way..

20. m00t

m00t New Member

Also make sure the empty mag isn't still in the pistol - the slide lock spring is what holds the takedown lever in until it's at that marked angle... sometimes wiggling the slide release can nudge it in just the right way so as to make it lots easier.