M40-A1 review by Gun World magazine

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just picked up the March issue of Gun World, which has a review of the M40-A1 by Jerry Catania. It's a very favorable review. He found absolutely nothing to nit pick about the gun and everything to rave about it.

Catania said he is a previous owner of three M-series and one S-series, two of which he said had "functioning problems." Didn't say which two.

But that's the only negative note in the entire review. He follows that comment with "The pistols were such a delight to shoot, however, that when Steyr came out with their product-improved M-A1 in .40 S&W, I just had to get one."

I scanned the five-page review as PDFs which are linked below. I don't have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, so I had to scan each page as a separate file in Photoshop. The file sizes are large, so they'll take some time to load.

http://www.johnmyers.com/steyr.pdf

http://www.johnmyers.com/steyr-1.pdf

http://www.johnmyers.com/Steyr-2.pdf

http://www.johnmyers.com/steyr-3.pdf

http://www.johnmyers.com/steyr-4.pdf

This is only the second review I've seen of the M-A1. The first was back in October while I was down at the coast (sinners go to the beach, Baptists go to the coast). Both were very favorable. If good press likes this keeps coming, our favorite pistols aren't going to be a well-kept secret much longer. :mrgreen:

2. Heat

Heat Guest

Nice find and thanks for the scans. Makes me feel good about my first purchase being an m40-a1. Just got it yesterday will try it out in the range tommorow.

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Outstanding!

Now aleast a few more folks can see what a fine weapon the M-A1 really is. With XD and M&P sales going through the roof, Steyr needs to put it's great product out there for all to see! :roll:

I just received my copy of G&A Handguns. It has an article about four top polymer pistols. The M&P received the highest marks. If the M-A1 was in the test I beleive it would've done very well, if not beat out the M&P. 8)

Let's see more good press re: Steyr and M-A1 pistols! :D
    ________
    mugdava

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *dav* :)

Can ya get post it here, plz...sugar on top? Thanx.

Wulf

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Wulf!

Sorry no scanner, but here's the results of the shootout!

Ergonomics
    Glock 17...............20
    H&K P2000............23
    S&W M&P..............24
    Springfield XD.......23

Trigger Control
    Glock 17...............16
    H&K P2000............16
    S&W M&P..............19
    Springfield XD.......18

Recoil Control
    Glock 17...............19
    H&K P2000............18
    S&W M&P..............20
    Springfield XD.......20

Sights
    Glock 17...............17
    H&K P2000............17
    S&W M&P..............19
    Springfield XD.......17

Accuracy
    Glock 17...............20
    H&K P2000............21
    S&W M&P..............22
    Springfield XD.......20

Ease of Reloading
    Glock 17...............21
    H&K P2000............14
    S&W M&P..............22
    Springfield XD.......20

5 shooters asked to rate these pistols on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best). IMO, the M-A1 would give M&P some competition if it was tested w/ these four!
    _______
    mugdava

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Xcellent :)

Thanx, *dav*. You rock, Dude. ...And yeah, the M-A1 would definitely have given M&P a photo finish.

Wulf

7. Interesting article.

The author was obviously an avid shooter of the Steyr MA1 I've seen most of his comments given by many of my fellow Steyr Brethern on this website.

It is a BEAUTIFUL pistol that due to poor marketing has not been given its due recognition and I'm glad to see someone pay some attention to it at long last.

8. Angel

Angel Guest

Talking about marketing. I just saw my very first ad for the Steyr M pistol. I'll get you guys the exact magazine and issue later tonight.

I believe it said something like "Because only the target should do the recoiling"

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Thanks!

Thanks for scanning the article. Can't wait to take my brand spankin' new M40-A1 to the range!

10. sreinschmidt

sreinschmidt Guest

DeSantis Hoster

Thanks for scanning and posting this article. I went to the DeSantis website mentioned in the article and they only list the M9-A1 for the “Speed Scabbard”. Does anyone know if this would be the same fit for an M40?

11. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Re: DeSantis Hoster

M40 or M40A1? MA1 40/9/357 slide dimensions are all identical, and all three fit in the same holster. Same for older M and S series guns. M40/357/9 are interchangeable, and the holsters for the M series will fit the S series, as well. The two generations are not cross compatible, though.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Anyone else want to call BS on some parts of the article? I confess I do not have a M40A1, but I have fired CCI shot shells in my M9A1 and shot CCI's .40 and .45 shot shells in a handfull of other guns and have NEVER seen them properly cycle in any semi-auto. Or is he just talking about firing them and then manually ejecting/extracting with no issues?

I also could have done without all the $15/5-rounds bullet-brand pushing in the article.

There is no such thing as .40 +P.

He doesn't know if Ranger and HST are sold to civilians?

And there are many holster makers for the M-A1's, as has already been mentioned. And a couple of the companies are definitely not under-the-radar-mom-and-pops makers.

I really don't mean to be critical and normally wouldn't say anything. It's great that our flavor of pistol got some good coverage and I'm thankful for it, but something about this guy's article rubbed me the wrong way.

13. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

gee, this thread makes it easier for me to make a decision :lol: .

as i mentioned in my 'debut' thread, i'm in search of a new 9mm plastic fantastic for summer carry and USPSA workouts. my final two contenders are pretty much the M&P and the MA1. i extensively fondled a used, consignment M&P tonight at the range and was very impressed by the overall 'feel', ergos and the trigger. it points nice and makes my hand happy. i haven't had as much intimate contact with the steyr, but i assume it's just as user friendly as the S&W, if not more so, ergonomically.

i really think the M&P will take off commercially and offer much more aftermarket support than the steyr will ever have. from what i've read, steyr's US customer service is first-rate, but so is S&W's. i think we will see more M&P's on the hips of law enforcement in the next 5 years . . . . it's a 'hometown favorite' and out-glocks glocks by most accounts. the price is also reasonable, although not a steal like the CDNN steyrs.

i do like unique things, i think the steyr fits the bill, but i also like to shoot my handguns, so the aftermarket variety and support that will grow up around the M&P is appealing. i don't have the budget for safe queens or collectibles yet.

please don't hate me steyroids :D . convince me. i really want a steyr, but my practical nature suggests otherwise. is it really worth the aftermarket obscurity?

frye

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

What aftermarket obscurity? Parts and service are top notch, holsters are more available now than they have ever been, in every combination necessary, night sights are reasonably priced and come in far too many options.. what's the problem?

Paging MrApathy for the striker issues with M&Ps...

15. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

i like objective opinions . . . .

i realize this is a steyr board and some opinions will be biased, but . . . . are you honestly trying to tell me steyr has the same level of aftermarket support as S&W or other manufacturers?

6 different manufacturers making the same product for the same pistol is always better for us consumers than 1 or 2 making products.

frye

16. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

check out http://www.mp-pistol.com they have a section with troubles.

I dont have a M&P but I have 2 sigma's and broke strikers M&P's seem to have similar striker of similar material and manufacturing process. all issue seems to revolve around dry firing. some M&P owners have had strikers break

steyr I dont know for sure what is MIM on it. extractor

M&P and Sigma pretty sure sear and striker are MIM. sear its not so bad on sigma not sure for M&P.
    striker definitely could use better quality part.

rarely hear about a Steyr having a problem setting off a primer. usually its because of a dirty striker channel.
    I and other have shot off small rifle primers in Steyr's. Glock and some guns have trouble with CCI small pistol primers which are known for being hard but its nothing for the Steyr. M&P's have had some troubles.

M&P is new not everyone has had trouble.
    Steyr sure has its fair share of troubles mainly FTE with weak 9mm ammo most fixed with 1911 plunger spring mod or trip to SA1.

Steyr has a nice one piece steel frame in polymer shell.
    M&P has replaceable metal frame rails on blocks but between them are plates in the side of the pistol. curious how those will last over years and heat and cold.

[​IMG]
    steyr is a versatile platform more people that buy it and demand aftermarket more it will happen. steyr is not well known.
    should have seen effort on holsters back on glocktalk before steyrclub was around.
    number of aftermarket stuff for Steyr more than the M&P though lots being worked on for the M&P.

$350 or less the Steyr is a steal of a deal. if I had the cash I would add 4 MA1's to accompany my original M series.

at moment want to finish my S&W sigma set for US mfg gun with US parts available. inexpensive simple and trigger improves greatly.
    some days wish the Sigma's were MA1's :oops:

I went with S&W and S&M fwiw

17. sreinschmidt

sreinschmidt Guest

Thanks Thunderbear for the reply.

I have an M40 not M40A1. Just to be clear, does this mean the DeSantos holster will not fit my M40?

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Sorry, it's not going to fit. There are quite a few other holstermakers out there that will have a mold for your M40 though. I'd look at FIST, K&D, or AKJ Concealco holsters.

http://www.fist-inc.com
    http://www.kddholsters.com
    http://www.concealco.com

Capitalism, nofuckingway! I always wondered what that was called. Well, I only own two of the pistols you're still on the fence about, with a great holster collection, night sights, and between them, a round count in the thousands. I couldn't possibly have any experience to speak of. Unfortunately, I've also lost all interest in giving a damn what you purchase. Take a hike, buy whatever the hell you want, and hope it comes with a side order of tact.

19. sreinschmidt

sreinschmidt Guest

20. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

i apologize for sounding a bit harsh, i didn't mean it to come off quite like that :D . i've had quite a bit of experience with brand specific boards and it's sometimes hard to get an objective opinion from those that are 'drinking the kool-aid', if you know what i mean. i saw your post and mistakenly though, "oh no, not this shit again". sorry.

i reread what i wrote this morning and realized how it sounded, but didn't have time to edit it before i left for work.

please care about what pistol i buy :wink: :lol: .

frye