M40-A1 Range Report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by flyandscuba, Dec 21, 2006.

1. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

I took the NIB M40-A1 with me on this week's business trip. Today, I had the opportunity to take it to the range for a little work out. When I stopped at Wal-mart, they were out of the WWB but had Remington 100-count in stock so I bought two boxes of it.

It wasn't until I got to the range that I realized the Remington 100-count was JHP ammo... Oh well, what better workout to determine reliable function.

The M40-A1 performed flawlessly through all 200 rounds. The trigger didn't seem as nice as those on my M40 and M357, but I expect it to smooth out more with use. Another difference is the trapeziod sights. My other Steyrs have conventional night sights.

One interesting discovery I found, was the shot grouping between firing slow fire versus fast fire. When shooting slow fire -- trying to use the tip of the triangle for accuracy, my groupings were respectable at 1.5 - 2.0 inches at 10 yards. However, when I shifted into faster "combat" fire (shoot - quick reset - back on target - shoot - etc.) my groupings were consistently tighter -- at 1.5" or less at 10 yards.

I guess there is something to the training topic of "looking for your hits" causing less tighter groups... :?

Overall, I am well pleased with the new M40-A1 -- I definitely prefer the grip of the A1 as compared to the original M-series.

[​IMG]

2. ScottW

ScottW Guest

Nice shootin'! Can't complain when your "flyer" is in the 10 ring LOL.

3. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

Thank you for the very good range report and photo. I still have not made it to the range with my new M357-A1, but your range report is very assuring of the success I know I will have also. As I stated in some of my other posts, this is the most comfortable semi-auto pistol I have ever held.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin =D>

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, *Scuba :!:

What'd that bullseye ever do to you? 8-O Great shootin'. :twisted: Hava great X-Mas. :p

Wulf