M40-A1 New to me

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by GaryNH, Jul 4, 2013.

1. GaryNH

GaryNH New Member

Had my choice between a "very new" M9-A1 (3 10 round mags w/box), and a used M40-A1. Picked the .40, SMI import, s/n 04708x. 2 12 round mags, no box. What do I need to know? Right choice? Thanks in advance!

Gary
    Semper Fi

Semper Fi - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Clean it well, if you feel capable, that should include stripping the striker out of the striker channel. If it doesn't already have it, I strongly recommend you buy the Big Taco Delrin cup for the striker guide rod, and if the budget allows, a BT recoil guide rod to replace the plastic one.

For cleaning, I recommend using mineral spirits. Put the slide and parts in a clean baking pan with the MS and let them soak for 30 min. When you clean the striker channel, use a paper coffee filter twisted up tight. Don't use a Qtip, they leave cotton fuzz and often cause problems. I use a dry moly, but any good quality lube will do. Don't over lube the striker - it can cause a failure to fire and we don't want that. On the slide, you want something with viscosity like STP. I use Brian Enos' SlideGlide and love it.

Other than that, just shoot it. If you have problems, let us know, one or another of us can probably help.

3. GaryNH

GaryNH New Member

Thanks! Pretty familiar with guns overall, my first Steyr though. Any thoughts on how "old" (not hold) this particular one might be?

Gary

Semper Fi

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Congrats on the new gun and welcome to the club! I have an S40-A1 which is the compact version of the gun you have. It is a great shooter and I really enjoy it.

5. GaryNH

GaryNH New Member

Thanks Waltherfan! I had an AC43 single line P38 up until a few months ago. Still have my PPK though.

6. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Gotta disagree. I've used Hoppe's #9 or Tri-Care for many years. They're made for guns. clean and dry the striker channel well and DO NOT lube it! Any oil or grease in the channel can trap dust and dirt that will cause failures. Any modern semi will run perfectly with the channel dry. U use a pin point of lithium grease at the wear points. Excess oil or grease will damage the gun fast than too little.

7. GaryNH

GaryNH New Member

Thanks for the advice!

8. Lamarr72

Lamarr72 Member

Great model, I have a 2005 M40-A1 and it fits my hands well. Nothing special needed as far as maintenance. The Trapezoid sights are easy to point. I second the Big Taco Delrin cup and Guide rod upgrades. Its a solid firearm.

9. jhb

jhb Member

How? While I've always heard too much didn't help, how will it damage th gun faster? Appreciate the feedback and info, thank you Sir.

10. GaryNH

GaryNH New Member

Still, any thoughts on the mfg date on the pistol?

11. stvan

stvan New Member

Love my M40A1, shots great. I don't do anything special or magical just shoot it and clean it with some good cleaner lube. I don't think they are all that finicky, like some guns can be.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

12. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Look here on the website for the Steyr date decoder. The date code is the 3 letter group on the right side of the weapon.