M40-A1 Extractor?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by fireblast713, Jan 30, 2007.

1. fireblast713

fireblast713 Guest

So I just bought a M40-A1 at my local turners for $560 out the door (expensive I know but it's CA :-/) I've seen a few posts about extractor issues with the M-A1 line of pistols. I was curious if this effects the entire line of pistol. I haven't ranged my gun yet so I'm just curious if I should be expecting a facefull of brass. For those of you who have shipped out your M-A1's for extractor issues, what was the overall cost and down time (do they ship you a prepaid box etc?). Kinda new to the forum so if this is a stupid question I apologize in advance heh.

2. Ok,

I own both an M40 and an MA140.

Never once did I have a FTE or any other problem with either pistol and my M40 is probably over 20K now in rounds and MA1 is somewhere around 5k round wise.

I did have with the M40 some erratic ejections in the first 200 rounds, but it all smoothed out and by "some" I'm talking maybe three.

My MA1 ran strong like bull from the first go.

Just keep it fed with decent ammunition. Avoid reloads, UMC, and Wolf ammunition and if you don't avoid those types of ammo than please don't post a thread when you get a failure.

Also keep your magazine clean and clean out and "properly" reinstall your extractor. Clean the weapon as per the tutorial on this website before your first range trip and after each trip and you'll be fine.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

shoot the gun first then worry later.
    9mm variants are affected the most. gun was built for 40sw originally then converted.

4. fireblast713

fireblast713 Guest

So I went to the range today and put 150rds through my M40A1. I had 3 FTE's 2 of them were bad enough to require me to need a rod to push out the casing from the barrel. Granted I was using range ammo but it looked like decent stuff a mix of Federal, Winchester, and Remington ammo. Is this an extractor issue? Ministerofdeath how do I "properly" reinstall my extractor? Considering the great things I've heard about these Steyr's I'm a little disappointed. Hopefully it settles out after a bit. Any advice on the issue would be great, do you think I'll need to send it into the factory for repair?

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

mix of ammo? sold in the appropriate factory boxes I hope?

which brand jammed?
    required rod to push out. dont recall many of those even then 9mm.

steyrs have a tough breakin period and generally smooth out after that.

did the slide go back and try to feed a new case with a case stuck in the chamber?

how many rounds were in the mag when that happened full mag?
    is a minor spring fix but keep shooting 3 out of 150 is not bad. .02%

6. fireblast713

fireblast713 Guest

mix of ammo? sold in the appropriate factory boxes I hope?
    They came mixed together in sealed plastic baggies of 50rds... however, the casings looked new no scratches or anything so they didn't look like reloads.

which brand jammed?

I should have checked but I didn't :-/

did the slide go back and try to feed a new case with a case stuck in the chamber?

Exactly what happened, had to lock the slide open, push the round back into the mag, eject the mag, and in two cases push the casing out of the barrel using a pen.

how many rounds were in the mag when that happened full mag?
    The mags were about half full maybe 5-7rnds (10 round CA clips) when I had the FTE's.

It's a minor spring fix
    Just the recoil spring? I saw a post earlier about someone sending their slide into Steyr and getting a new "beefier" extractor. Hopefully it smooths out, FTE's aside I love the gun.

7. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Hang in there man dont' give up :| I had the same number of failures on my first go. They were range reloads as well. I used new stuff the next time out and not one problem... I am almost 100% sure it was due to those reloads, I have since noticed at that range that in a few rounds the case is out of round and that has caused them to get stuck in the gun, also they are dirty... I still have less then 500 rounds but every time I pick it up it gets better and more accurate. I promise you will love it more each time you shoot it, as I do my m40-a1 :p

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

not the mainspring thats for breaking in new gun usually opposite problem FTFd or FTB. 1911 plunger spring added to internal space of extractor spring.

9. fireblast713

fireblast713 Guest

I'll have to try it again with some of the CCI Blazer that everyone raves about. Any particular loads that are good w/ the M40-A1. I've heard the Al ones are pretty decent.

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

depends on what you prefer in 40sw.
    federal hydrashock 135gr is like shooting 9mm recoil wise.
    hydrashock civilian line tends to be reduced recoil and also lower fps and energy. easy followups.
    150-155gr is snappy but fast. 1100-1200fps
    165gr an intermediate 950-1100fps
    180gr 950-1050fps
    pretty much the model in most loads though some will vary
    try it all

my Steyr's have taken it all and done well. some 40sw guns like certain weight better though more often than not probably the shooters preference.

165-180gr is the most common load in 40sw.

11. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

MrA, did I hear you say you were shooting 200gr hot .40 loads? Is it possible to load a 200gr in a .40? I'd be interested in a load like that, or maybe a hotter 180-185.. Do you roll anything like that?

12. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I dont touch 200gr bullets in 40sw. only time I would use 200gr is with a custom 1911 with freebore in front of the chamber reemed to 10mm lengths and load the bullets long. 180gr on the other hand I have no problems loading it. Longshot 8.0gr with 180gr FMJ or winchester JHP or Hornady XTP 1.125" OAL. other bullets require adjustments in charge or OAL.

think I might get away from the load its punishing. beats majority of commercial 10mm 180gr ammo loaded to lite levels which is majority of 10mm ammo. though 200gr 10mm ammo will always beat 40sw. can leave your hand bruised its definitely not for lightweight 40sw pistols or 40sw pistols not put together with extra strength put in mind. I managed to break the front pin in my S&W 40ve using it. gun still worked flawless though had to order a new pin and thats not a fun one to put in. understand why glock went to two pins in the locking block in the middle of the frame. load is within pressure limits of saami but its still punishing.

why saami specs calls for 1.135" OAL max is kinda odd when 9mm goes good amount longer. havent loaded 40sw long in my steyr stick with 1.125-1.135" lengths which function. 200gr bullet and short length not good. max loads for 200gr I have seen fly at 950fps. if you try it 1.135" minimum go for longer but watch out you dont run it into the lands.

13. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

will the improved extractor fit the old model non-a1s? I really want a s40-A1, but i also want a safety. could i buy a nonA1 s40 and then swap out the extractor with an improved A1 version.

14. fireblast713

fireblast713 Guest

So I shot 100 rounds of winchester white box, and I got a similar number of FTE's same issue, a few ~3 of them stovepiped :-/ I tried the extractor cleaning mentioned in the help forum, I'm hoping that that'll fix the problem. I'm kinda worried though, I was hoping the problems would smooth themselves out. It appears on the FTE's that the extractor claw isn't grabbing the rim of the casing. Should I send this into Steyr for repair. Anyone who has send their gun in, what was the turn around time and how much did it cost you to ship, etc?

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe SAI will upgrade any older M or S that needs it to the new style extractor free of charge.

Turn around time is almost always under 2 weeks - 1 week door to door is not unheard of. Their customer service is probably some of the best in the industry and almost all reports from forum members are glowing.

16. nuj

nuj New Member

Hi there,
    I'm from the philippines and I was wondering why my m9-a1 ejects brass erratically whenever I shoot at our local range. I always use 124 gr reload lead bullets for all of my shooting , its much cheaper that way, bullets here are a premium, but my carry bullets are always original USA Winchester Black Talon ammmunition. Anyway going back to the ejection problem, the casing sometimes goes left, right, and even in my face. Do I have a bad extractor or a ejector for that matter.
    Also, ever tried looking at your used brass casing, noticed a dimple at the side of the rim. Both my 1st gen m40 and my new m9-a1 makes such markings on the casing but the m40 ejection is ok

17. madecov

madecov Active Member

Try some factory fresh ammunition. Sounds like a bunch of reloads.
    Winchester (white box)
    Blazer (brass case)

and then feed it some hollow point ammo. I'm willing to bet the gun will preform.

18. Dag

Dag Guest

Ejection Problems

Hi nuj

I had the same ejection problems with my M40-A1 (left, right and in your face), and it wasn't sensitive to ammo type. I shot a wide variety of ammo from handloads to hot SD rounds. I even shot a box of Wolff. :oops: Nothing seemeed to change the ejection pattern much. I ended up doing the "plunger spring fix" invented by IDPASteyr. I had to tweak the size of the plunger spring a little to get it working just right, but that worked for me. I've read that other club members have never had any such problems, and others that sent their gun back to Steyr to be fixed. I chose to try and fix it myself. Current wisdom says that Steyr pistols are sensitive to ammo brand. For me, I shoot reloads because it's much cheaper, and if I get to practice the occasional malfunction clearing drill, so much the better. :) The dimple you see at the edge of the case rim is caused by the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI). It doesn't hurt anything, even if you reload. Good luck with your ejection problem.

Dag

19. West01

West01 New Member

Hi Dag.

Excellent PDF file. Thumb up! Maybe it should posted as a sticky...

Thanks and Cheers!

West01

:D

20. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We've been meaning to add it to the homepage, but I was unsure whether or not Dag had finally figured it out. I recall it took a few "revisions" to get everything tweaked right...

Dag - is everything good to go?