Steyr Club Forums banner
3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Waltherfan01 
#1 ·
Like the title of the thread says, I've got a blind date with a March 2013 production Steyr M40-A1. I have never even so much as held one, but that didn't keep me from ordering one today. I'm super excited and I'm anxious to get to know this pistol.

One area that I seek knowledge in is reloading for the M40. I reload for my Walther PPS using 140gr hard cast bullets launched by 4.0 grains of Titegroup. This is a great range load that provides reduced recoil and reliable functioning. If anyone has experience loading the 140gr bullets for the M40 I'd love to hear about it. I'd also like to know how many rounds it takes to break the M40 in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John

#3 ·
To just break in the parts, you can dry fire, rack, dry fire, repeat for about 600 times. Takes less than a day. Field strip the weapon and clean it using mineral spirits, or your favorite cleaner. Lube sparingly, spray then wipe, I'm a dry luber, so I use moly everywhere but the rails. Use a viscous lube on the rails (SlideGlide or STP), or a lithium grease. Don't get the rails too slick, it can screw the timing up.

Enjoy your Steyr!

#5 ·
Congrats on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. My S40-A1 took about 300 rounds to break in, but I also exercised the action and dry fired it a whole bunch of times.

#8 ·
If you DO have issues, don't immediately give up on the piece. My war story on that comes from buying a new Kahr .380 that would not feed. The stories of Kahrs needing breakin (ridiculous for weapons in this price range...but moving on...)are legendary, and the manual says it needs 200 rounds. Mine took 600, but I still remember the feel of the round chambering when things settled in. The gun suddenly felt RIGHT. it has been perfect ever since.

#9 · (Edited)
Never a dull moment. After the M40 arrived at my LGS I went by to pick it up. Filled out the 4473 and they call it in, goes to further review, then to delayed. The guys behind the counter said that everyone that went to further review was delayed that day. Great. So I get to walk out without my new pistol. I was told it may take as long as Wednesday. Wonderful. I drove off quite frustrated that limbo was the home of my new Styer. This morning I gathered together some ammo and prepared a rifle and pistol to take to the range. I go get gas, and while I was paying the LGS calls. "Come and get it!" was the word, so off I went to collect my M40. I headed to the range and decided to warm up shooting my PPS. After a few rounds I decided to get the M40 running. I pull it from the case and field strip it. I go to the range bag for some oil. You guessed it. No oil. So much for correct lubrication. I press on. I pull a bore snake through the barrel, then reassemble the weapon. I only had 25 rounds of 180gr Blazer brass so I start off with that shooting falling plates at 25 yards. After those I switch to my 140gr reloads and I figure there is no way they will reliably cycle a stiff new action. I was wrong. 165 rounds later the M40-A1 had worked through all of my ammo without so much as a single hiccup. The only problem I noticed was the that the super light reloads allowed the empties to be lobbed right at my upper body. No biggie. The pistol even cycled reliably when using a less than tight wrist. For a first outing I'm super impressed with this pistol. Great accuracy, excellent ergos, intuitive sights, and well controlled recoil.

I purchased the pistol on GB from Trellix Tactical and got great customer service.

What started off rough ended with me smiling ear to ear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.