Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MrApathy 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to Styer. I bought the M40-A1 because thats all i could find. I was just curious if I can put the M9-A1 barrel in my 40. If so, where can i purchase one. Thanks!!

#2 · (Edited)
Unless the newest version m slides have changed...i would say no on the barrel swap. Holes for the barrels should be different sizes and barrel lock up would be compromised. In other words unsafe imho.

Plus recoil springs would likely be different. Course I am speculating...I don't know for sure?

Seeing on the online shop at steyrarms they are selling conversions for the s models and include an entire upper...slide, barrel, recoil spring.....plus a magazine....I am guessing my guess above is correct. Hopefully a real steyr expert will come along and answer.

That aside the cost of the conversion kit for the s...you could almost buy a whole other steyr.....which is my suggestion. Buy a m9 online and use your local ffl.

#4 ·
The 9mm barrel has a smaller outer diameter than the 40/357 barrel. And the slide has some metal removed to reduce weight.
So 40 to 357sig is only the barrel.
To 9mm is mag, barrel, slide.....

Unless they made a 9mm barrel with the same OD as the 40 which is possible.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.