M357 for Concealed Carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by michaelmew, Feb 21, 2007.

1. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

I just got my M357 about a week or so ago. I would like to use it for concealed carry.

Does anyone use an M Series for their preferred CCW? If so, what state do you carry it in? Lack of a manual safety makes me a little nervous.

Any insight you can offer is appreciated.

Additionally, my high-cap magazines are a real pain to load full. Does anybody know of a speedloader for them?

Thanks!

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I assume yours is an A1?

I carry my M9A1 in a Blade-Tech UCH - with a hard kydex holster, the only think that is going to pull the bang lever is me. We should talk sometime - I'm in the DFW area as well. Never hurts to know a local fellow Steyroid :D.

Pictures of my carry rig here.

I believe a Glock speedloader will work, though I've never tried. Leave the mags loaded for awhile - you'll find they soften up quite a bit. It's something that you just get used to, I suppose. I had a generic HKS magloader than also worked just fine - it was universal and a great tool for those with sensitive thumbs.

(also - check out irc.slashnet.org #steyrclub one evening - if ya have the techno know-how, that is)

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Having carried Glocks for years I can tell you a manual safety is unnecesary and quite safe to carry without one. Just practice with it and keep your finger off the trigger 8)

5. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

Wulf,
    How long have you had the speed loader? Looks a little fragile from the picture, so was just wondering how well it's held up.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *flyr :)

I got it on Ebay bout 3 years ago. It only cost me about $5 or $6 to my door back then...when gas prices seemed a bit more inline with the cost of livin'. :roll: I don't know how it'd stand up against one 3 or 4 X's the cost, but I know its saved my poor ol' arthritic hands. Price was right. <shrug> Hava great Thursday. :)

Wulf

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

8. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

I got my magazine loaders last weekend and they worked great! An instructional photo could have been useful, but I went to college for 6 years, so I was able to figure them out. Once I decided the plastic was not going to break I was loading every magazine I could get my hands on. Thanks for the heads-up :p

9. fossten

fossten Guest

Thanks for the tip Wulf. I ordered mine off ebay too, to go with my beautiful new Steyr M9-A1. I've got a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and a CCW permit pending. Can't wait to carry.

I guess I need to find a cheap source for mags. I'll search the other threads, but if you know anything offhand...

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya fossten :)

If ya don't live in CA, then ya got options. How many ya need/mag? Let me know. Welcome to the Club. :)

Wulf

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Man, this is my peeve with Steyr. How can you send out guns without mag loaders made for your mags. I use my Glock loaders, but they do not fit exactly. What does the little plastic thing coat to make: 10 cents? :x