M357-A1 w/ 40S&W IGB barrel range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mugdava, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

I went to Range Masters last night to test out my new IGB barrel and am I pleased! :lol: It's a 122mm(4.8 inch!), 40S&W, IGB drop-in barrel for my M357-A1. When I first put the barrel in it was a tight fit in the locking block. :shock: I lubed it up and racked the slide 30-40 times, but even after that it was still tight.

I took 100 rounds of CCI Blazer 165gr TMJ, 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 165gr GDHP and got 50 rounds of range reloads. All performed flawlessly! The pistol drew a fair amount of attention and everyone that had any interest shoot 5-10 rounds throught it. The first 50 rounds of CCI Blazer was done in a very rapid manner(Rapid Fire! :twisted: ), by permission of the range master of course. :D All targets went out to 21feet. Here'a a few pics:

Just before range trip w/ 122mm IGB barrel, in 40S&W
    [​IMG]

10 rounds CCI Blazer 165gr at 21feet
    [​IMG]

10 rounds Speer Gold Dot 165gr GDHP at 21feet(I count only nine holes :shock: )
    [​IMG]

Makes me wanna 5" 357sig barrel! :shock:
    [​IMG]

Some more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Give Marc Wagner a call at (207)583-6378 or click http://www.mdwguns.com/
    _______
    mugdava

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Great pics/range report! I'm starting to think the M(A1)'s look even better with a little bit of barrel hanging out...

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

How much more would it have cost to get that barrel threaded?

I'm thinking a suppressor could be fun :twisted:

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I was SO just thinking that!!!!

Make mine a threaded one!

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

I'd of gotten it threaded, but that doesn't go over real well here in California! I'm not sure, but I think it's about $50.00 for threading. I really like the extended barrel when used in conjunction w/ a light.

[​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

how come IGB doesn't make the barrel 4in?

here in Canada Steyrs come with a 4.17in ....here's the pic. NOT my gun(s) btw...

[​IMG]

7. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Gray_Wolf!

They make it in 4 inch. I figured if I was gettin' an interchange barrel it would be extented. 8) MDWGUNS has a 6", 357sig barrel for the Steyr M in stock! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hmmm...very interesting. That makes a 125 gr JHP at 1550 fps which makes it about...brb...

...over 660 ft.lbs of energy at muzzle! :shock: Dayam! What's not to love about that? :twisted:

Wulf <-- wonderin' about a AUG 3 with a 420 MM barrel chambered in 357 SIG :shock: ... Dayam! :shock: <gulp>

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

yea, nice barrel. Seeing that makes me really feel that my IGB barrel never made it to the final finish process. It must have slipped by the inspectors...
    .................... :x

10. ToadWhisperer

ToadWhisperer New Member

I'd heard others complaon IGB barrels had be fitted, did you have to do anything other than the lube you mentioned?

11. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey ToadWhisperer!

I turned another 150 rounds last night at the range and the barrel is still very tight, but not a single failure. I've put a total of 350 rounds through the IGB barrel since it's arrival.

Three of Us had a friendly competition at the range, My M357-A1(.40 barrel) against a USP 9mm and a USP 45. I won 2 out of 8, 5 shot mini comps and had more holes in the bullseye than my opponents by outings end.
    _______
    mugdava

12. nixon

nixon Member

mugdava,

I'm mulling over getting one for myself. I have an M40-A1 and I would love to have a switch barrel just like yours but the other way around. In 357 sig. I like the looks of the extended barrel. It has a balance of handsome but intimidating kind of look with it. Please keep us updated each time you take it to the range.

nixon,

13. GTrain

GTrain Guest

igb barrel

nice, i love the look of the extended barrel. do they make them in 9mm and what did it cost you to get the barrel?

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Impressive appendage for the .40

15. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

Here's a few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava