M357-A1 Slide Locking Up

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Keltyke, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Got one of the original M357-A1's. Love the gun.

Problem: With the gun completely assembled, including a mag, and uncocked, the slide can be pulled back about 1/2" then it locks. A SLIGHT pull on the trigger gives a audible "click" and the slide releases and functions normally. What's going on?

TIA!

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

How long has this been happening? Did you do a tear down prior?

Without seeing it, I could only guess that maybe the mag follower is up just a bit, and when you pull the trigger it causes the slide to move forward over the follower. From the way you've stated it, this occurs only with a mag in the weapon?

3. test733

test733 New Member

Can you provide some pictures of the situation and with slide taken off?

4. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

Is that with empty magazine?
    Is that a new pistol or new magazine?

5. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

OK, it happens with a mag or without. It's an older model, mag maybe used or not. I'm not sure. We bought several spares. Compared to my other 7 Steyrs, nothing looks different. The gun was completely disassembled prior.

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

sounds like the striker is engaging the sear but doesnt sound right.
    is the slide locking up and failing to move at all till the trigger is pulled?
    when you are pulling the trigger pretty sure you are decocking the striker which is something the pistol can do but is not recommended shouldnt be require for getting pistol back into battery.

sure the slide is not closer to 1/4" back than 1/2"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  7. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

That's right, Apathy. And you may be right. It maybe more like 1/4" than 1/2". When I pull the slide back, it stops tight, and the light touch on the trigger releases it to fully rack. When it goes back into battery, it's the same thing all over again.

8. test733

test733 New Member

Can you check, what happens if you take off the slide and push back on a sear with your finger, just like striker does when slide moves back? Something might be stuck in grooves/rails in which sear moves back and forward or in grooves within a sear where trigger bar moves.
    The best way currently would be to disassemble the frame fully and check the sear mechanism. Recently I had a very strange issue with drop safety, that required me to pull slightly on a trigger in order to unlock the frame. You should check that too. You can take drop safety off and reassemble the gun, and then check if you still have a problem.

9. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Thanks, test733. I'll take the thing completely apart, clean, and reassemble.

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

carefull with the sear lever springs and pins they can be bit of a pita.

might want to check the striker out make sure it has no problems moving back and fourth.

11. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Another note: Make sure to download the disassembly tutorial from the downloads section, as well as downloading the trigger mod tutorial from Big Taco in the same location. Then stock up on transparent ziploc gallon bags and use them to reassemble the parts. Painful experience teaches this...