M357-A1 owners opinions

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by MOTO444, Jun 21, 2007.

1. MOTO444

MOTO444 Guest

What do you all think of the round in the Steyr and how does it compare to the 40'? I have a 40 and am looking at buying a 357 sig in Steyr to match!

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

We just had a post similar to this one. Look through the recent posts and we covered the subject pretty thoroughly. Generally speaking, 357sig lovers ARE 357sig lovers........ :lol: IMO the forty is too torquey, snappy and harder to get back on target.......ballistics is similar enough to make my go with 357 hands down........ :wink:

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I doubled up on MA1's in the other direction, got my M357-A1 first, then later bought a M40-A1 when CDNN started their fire sale. My 357 had me so spoiled that I just couldn't fall in love with the .40. The difference to me was exactly what Shooter said, "the forty is too torquey, snappy and harder to get back on target."

It sounds odd, but the 357 recoil is markedly less than the .40, despite the fact that it's a much hotter round.

If I had bought the .40 first and never shot the 357 I probably would have been satisfied. But I shot them both at the same time, 357 in the left and .40 in the right, and I realized the marked difference between the two that I hadn't observed as clearly just by shooting the .40 by itself.

The .40's odd, snappy recoil is even worse, IMHO, than my 10mm Glock 29 subcompact, which I love.

So I committed Steyroid heresy. I kept my 357 and traded the .40 for a S&W subcompact 9mm, the model 669 which has a super-light alloy frame and shoots like a dream. It became my "car gun" and rides with me daily.

I doubt I'll ever buy another .40. If I didn't like Steyr's .40, I seriously doubt I'd like any other maker's.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

the bummer for me is I have 1500 rounds of 40cal jhp from Ranger and gold dots and I, of course, wouldn't want to shoot them, but the same 357sig ammo would cost me soooo much more that I have to keep 40cal barrels with me in my "BUG OUT" stash along with a caliber I bought before I saw the light...... :lol: