M357 A1 Experience

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by louishob, Apr 15, 2007.

1. louishob

louishob Premium Member

Finally got my M357 A1 last month. In the first 150 rounds I had 8 FTF/FTEs. The spent shell was still snug as a bug in the chamber, merrily blocking the round at the top of the magazine. Needless to say, so far, I wasn't impressed. I've put more than 20K rounds through my Colt Series 80 45 and I've only had one FTF, and that was when I let someone else load my magazine. So, back to Georgia my Steyr went.
    Well, Steyr made everything ok. The head armorer said that some Steyrs had ejector problems, so they replaced mine under warranty. I say under warrantly, because technically I had voided the warranty by having the slide "Diamondkoted". The armorer felt that the coating process had nothing to do with the problems, so they hooked me up free of charge. I was very impressed by that.
    So, back to the range. I fired 200+ rounds of Remington UMC and Corbon 125 grain. Occasionally I mixed the two in the same magazine. No problems at all, and the darn thing is far more accurate than I am. These new fangled polymer and steel guns may actually catch on.
    A question though. There is a space between the magazine and backstrap that is slotted. Is something suppossed to slide into that gap ?

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Louishob!

Yep, after gettin' my M357-A1 back from SAI w/ the extractor fix it has been perfect! Glad to hear You're pleased.

Let's see some pics of that "Diamondkoted" hand cannon, You've got my attention! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that slot is where you put your mojo. keeps it nice and handy!!!

nothing goes in it.

were you using umc during your first batch of fte's? umc is a known offender.

surprised the gun ran umc even AFTER being to sai.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

+1. As BT mentioned, I would also be curious to know what ammo you were using when you first started having troubles...

Glad you got everything worked out. SAI has excellent customer service!

5. louishob

louishob Premium Member

I was using UMC the first time. After I got the gun back, I shot 150 rounds of UMC with no problems. No problems with the Corbon either.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Be sure to let us know if you have any future troubles with UMC - some M-A1's can eat it, but most seem to mess up. I would still recommend changing ammo.

7. We've had a lot of bad reports about Remingtom UMC in Steyr pistols.

They don't like the stuff and as far as Steyr pistols go its about on par with Wolf pistol ammo.

I use WWB and CCI Blazer Brass for my M40 and MA140 in .165 gr. FMJ for target practice.

8. louishob

louishob Premium Member

I never liked CCI blazer. The powder seemed to burn a little dirty. However, I haven't used it in years. Maybe it has improved. I'll give the Winchester ammo a try if I can find it.

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

the majority of my practice ammo has been wolf or cci blazer. the blazer has been excellent, wolf dirty but reliable for me. The cci in all calibers has been very good and consistant. clean burning as anything you can get today at the lowest price for quality ammo. http://www.Natchezss.com

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

Mine is a 40

M40A1. It is now my primary duty weapon.
    The gun fits like nothing else. Is as accurate as I can shoot.

Tomorrow I begin the search for a class C holster.

[​IMG]

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

It sure does fit and shoot the best.

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi People :)

FYI, I bought a few boxes of 125 gr FP WWB from Wally-world, way back when, and I've had no problems with FTE's with my M357-A1. From that store bought ammo, I collected enuf brass to start reloading and the world according to Wulf's 357 SIG began. The only problems I've had to date was with a few trial reloads using Bullseye and 125 gr .357 JHP component bullets loaded "hot" and not resized to .356". Hell, the loads were hot enuf to expand the cases so much that I actually had to do a field strip and tap the brass back outta the barrel! :shock: The extractor just pulled a little hunk of brass off the case rim. :shock: My bad. :roll: It was obvious at that point in my reloading experience with the 357 SIG that there were indeed limitations to the little bottleneck cartridge. Since then, I've reloaded thousands of rounds, some exotic, and some very tame and "mainstream". The platform for my reloading knowledge for the 357 SIG has been exclusively my Steyr M357-A1. I've developed a good database of knowledge for this cartridge and the performance envelope is wildly diverse and it's accuracy is phenomenal. 8) So, it's my guess that factory ammo can and will continue to be a lot of the FTE problem, especially when factory rounds are loaded too mildly and too fuckin' dirty. Feed your M357-A1 a steady diet of "greater than mild performance, clean burnin' ammo", and ya got nothin' ta loose. :shock: Just do it. <shrug> And, when ya get really down to it, the harder ya push this little bottlenecked cartridge, the better performance...right up until the SAAMI specs are pushed to their extremes. Beyond that point, "there be Dragons!". If ya wanna 9MM with 9MM performance, get a 9MM. <shrug> If ya wanna 9MM with better than 45 ACP performance, with less recoil and a greater capacity...try a 357 SIG. Texas Rangers did, Navy Seals did, and other National and Global LEO's and Special Forces are jumpin' on the bandwagon. Check it out. <shrug> Hava great week, Guys. :)

Wulf

[​IMG]

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I gotta chime in that my M357-A1 is so phenomenal it knocked my 10mm S&W 1076 off the top of the hill and the 357 Sig is now the new King of the Mountain (residing in my sock drawer when not nestled at my left side).

I loved it so much I finally let loose of my 1076 and traded it for a G29, which I have been lusting after for quite a while. But it's going to have to be one helluva a shooter to knock the M357-A1 off the top of my pecking order.

My M357-A1 is such a great little hand cannon that I was disappointed when I bought a M40-A1. I figured it would be close enough in shootability and with cheaper ammo to boot, but I just didn't fall in love with it.

So now I'm shopping the M40-A1 around to see if I can swap it for a top-notch pocket pistol/backup carry.

357 Sig Rules! :mrgreen:

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Glad to hear SAI made it right. An absolute necessity when a known problem is encountered by an owner.

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Net, why not just get an IGB barrel and just have a pair......... :lol: i know what you mean, I changed out all my 40cal barrels for 357sig.........