M357-A1 and P22 range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just got back from the range. A bit chilly today, 46 with a bit of wind that made it feel quite a bit colder. First time I shot with gloves on.

Main reason I went was to try out my new gun, Walther P22, sweet little piece I got in the fond hope I can get my sweet wife interested in shooting. She's a gunaphobic and the P22 is the only one at the local gun shop she liked.

Sights were right on elevation wise, but off about six inches to the right. Oddly enough, the adjustment was the opposite for right-left than the millet sights on my S&W 1076, so after going the wrong way for a few clicks, I finally got the hint and dailed her in right on the money from a rest.

Here's a target with 10 rapid-fire rounds at 7 yds. (the little holes are .22, big ones are M357-A1's #-o). Target is 11x14" small man.

[​IMG]

No FTE's or FTF's on the P22 with 100 rounds of CCI MiniMags and she shoots great. What's not to like?

Also put a few rounds through the M357-A1, as is obvious above. Seemed a shame to leave a perfectly good target with those puny little .22 holes.

The big 357 holes in the red target were rapid fire also at 7 yards.

Then I tacked up a full-size man target and ripped out 15 rounds of 357 rapid-fire. Don't you just love those trap sights, so quick to reacquire?

These are 125gr. Speer Lawman TMJ. My M357-A1 loves those Speer TMJs.

[​IMG]

That's all this week. As the old joke goes, it didn't take me long to look at this horseshoe. Maybe next weekend will be more weather friendly. I can just hear you poor guys north of the Mason-Dixon line saying "What a wimp!" :mrgreen:

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good shootin', *foto* :)

If ya like, I can send ya my 5" target bbl for my P22. I gotta 17 MachII also, but ya gotta take out your extractor. Still works well, just costs way to much for the ammo. <shrug> Let me know. Hava great Sunday. :p

Wulf

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Wulf,

Thanks for the compliment and the hardware offer.

Does this mean you got rid of your P22, but not the extra barrels?

I got the 3.5"-barrel model and I'm happy with it. With the first 100 rds., it seems to be as accurate as I need. I don't plan on entering any shooting matches with it, but it will be a fun plinker, good training to mix in with 357 Sig and 10mm and hopefully to get my wife interested in pistol shooting.

I've read the 5" P22 barrel doesn't provide much if any improvement in accuracy. Did you find that to be true? And do you have to install a different extractor when using the .17 MachII barrel?

I had to punt my AMT .22 Magnum due to it's "Jamamatic" feature and I miss the extra "oomph" of the magnum round. Does the .17 MachII have that much more "pop" and range than .22 LR, or is that only the .17 HMR?

Ain't I full of questions today?

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *foto* :)

No, I didn't get rid of my P22. Fact is, I have 2 of the 3.4" and 5" bbls kits, one black and one in the gray, but I never use the 5" barrels. The 17 MachII I got from a friend that makes the barrels for the P22's. Ya just take off the extractor and go with the Mach II's. Ya can't even tell its not there. Functions spoton. <shrug> He's makin' 'em for the Ruger Mark II's now. The 6" and longer barrels really make all the difference in this little stinger. The ammo is still nearly cost prohibitive, tho...IMHO. I was just offerin' cause I don't mind and I'm inna good place to offer. I don't mind sharin' the love, Baby. 8) Anyway, girls will be girls and I fig'r what one gal likes, so too will another. <shrug> Works for me. :roll: Gotta roll, Bud. Hava great Sunday.

Wulf

5. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

foto,
    Congrats on the p22 :D My wife and I were at a gun show when she saw the p22 and fell in love with it. She wasn't at all looking to by a gun untill she saw IT... She bought it on the spot. It was her first gun ever and after she shot it she totally loved it!!!
    Just let your wife shoot it and I am sure she will like it and then next thing she will be sneaking your 357 out.
    If for any reason she doesn't like the p22 get a good old revolver and let her try that...

6. spokes

spokes New Member

Nice shooting Foto.
    Those 357's are sweeeeeeeet.

Spokes