Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am on the verge here of picking up an M9-A1. Here is/are my issue(s); I find the trap sights on this weapon to be unique and exceptional, however I have 2 worries.

First, I put night-sights onto all of my pistols (and in some cases a laser as well) and I really feel this is quite an important facet when situations are low light or no light for that matter. I'm thinking that I've made myself dependent on having them and wonder if I'll be able to have the same confidence without them. I don't buy weapons that some would call range guns or 'fun' guns, I want to be able to depend on each and every one with complete confidence in any situation. Do these have any kind of low light viability at all?

Second, I'm wondering if there are any consequences to total acclimation to these sights. They are so much different than other sights that one can't help but be curious as to whether or not you will still shoot as well if/when you shoot using other mundane sights.

It was almost like an epiphany when upon shooting only my third mag I realized that my target acquisition was faster and smoother than I could ever recall previously. And that feeling only increased the more I shot, the total sight picture with these unique sights clicked in some weird way in my brain. So if the sights are one of the major reasons for picking up this pistol I can't see swapping them out for some night-sights. Hence my conundrum...I would love some feedback from those of you who can see where I'm coming from (if anyone can ;-D), I know I can be obtuse and my OCD doesn't help matters much.

Thanks for your time in advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I switch back and forth between my Steyr M40 and several Glocks all the time. No issues at all.

Night sights are only good for about 30 min. a day. 15 min at dawn and 15 min at dusk. That's when there's enough light to properly
identify a deadly threat but not quite enough for a good sight picture w/o night sights. Any lighter and you won't need 'em and any darker and you probably should have a flashlight on your target before even thinking about putting your finger on the trigger. Of course I'm thinking from a risk management perspective, 15 yrs LE, 6 yrs on SWAT

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm confident enough with my steyr to fire without night sights and hit a human sized target in the dark due to POA.

however, the trap sites are combat sites, they are easy to use, but not accuracy sites.

·
Registered
211 Posts
"Fast and smooth" are the words for the trap sights. These are not tack driver range sights, but fast acquisition combat sights. If you get the triangle anywhere close to inside the trap lines, you'll hit what you aim at. They're big and easy to pick up in any ambient light. Paint them fluorescent green for easier night shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts