M Series Rails, Light, Laser ??

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Fireof59, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

Ok, a few more silly questions and requests for advice...

The rails on the M series? I keep reading about items that fit "picatinny" or "weaver" rails. Which is it that the M series has? How would I know the difference on another weapon?

Also, thinking of getting a light/laser combo and looking for advice on a good model that wont cost me both arms (need one to shoot with)
    Can anyone suggest a model that can be used in low and bright light conditions. Why choose a red dot, green dot, laser, etc, over another ?

I know these are loaded questions but appreciate all answers.....

Thanks

2. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

The original M series rails were a silly proprietary rail system that nobody else ever used.

IGB does make an adapter that adapts a regular picatinny rail to it (and they make an optics mount that works with the original M rails ... I've got one on my M40)

[​IMG]

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

For starters, please clarify if you have an original M or M-A1 series...

If you have the M, you're going to be stuck finding an adapter before you can start trying to decide on a lighting option... :wall:

4. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

sorry, should have clarified.

I have an M40A1 and an M9A1

5. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

big differance between M and M-A1 :wink:

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Well that is easy enough then... Any laser/light that will fit a standard picatinny rail (ie "glock style" rail) will work. I think the Steamlight/Insight M6 or M6X is a great option (go M6 if you are trying to keep the cost down). I've been using the M6X for well over a year now and I have nothing bad to say about it - GREAT laser/light! :party:

[​IMG]

7. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

Thanks Syn,
    Besides the ~$100 difference on Opticsplanet.com, I dont see a big difference in the 2 models. I'm gonna feel stupid, I'm sure, but what am missing?

Thanks Again

8. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Opticsplanet.com is really expensive. From different websites you'll only see like 25$ price difference between the two. The difference between the two is the M6 is 90 lumen while the M6X is 125 lumen.

I am not sure if it is okay to link to cheaper stuff on here but I have a link to them cheaper. You can pm me for it.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I certainly see no problem with linking to save a fellow club member some bucks... :think:

The M6X is also somewhat waterproof - I usually just run some water over it in the sink after a range trip (though it usually doesn't get very dirty). Best prices I have seen were at the gunshow - IIRC, $265ish OTD...

The Streamlight TLR-1/2 series are also pretty popular... Might want to hit up forum member jetsiphon, as I believe he can get a deal on them. :wink:

10. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Okay then. This is the link right here

11. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

Thanks very Much for the link. That will def save me some bucks and speed up my "acquisition" :party:

Can anyone make a comment on the handgun Remote switch. The regular switch is just on the side of the unit, correct? Does anyone use the remote switch or have tried it?

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I don't like the remote switches because there are wires dangling that are just begging to get caught on something (that, and I think they make the gun look too "busy"). The paddles are very easy/fast to operate, and I'm not sure how conducive the Steyr grip would be to remote switches with all the curves and such...

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing anyone with a remote kit on their Steyr... :think:

13. socofn

socofn New Member

Are you saying that these can be mounted on the M series? I have an older styer and would like a light /laser combo. Thanks jp

14. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

No, he has the m-a1 models and the laser/light combos that have been linked to do not work for the original non a1 series.

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

...But IGB does make an adapter that would make it possible. If we could drum up nough interest, we could put together an IGB group and resurrect those items, as well as a few others...

16. socofn

socofn New Member

count me in. JP

17. stdsmc19

stdsmc19 New Member

So does the standard m6x light fit on and take off like a glock laser/light combo or does it use a set screw or something like that?

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The glock and Steyr use the same style rail - it just slips right on or off (you depress the levers to slip it off).

19. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Just some food for thought. I work in the repair department for Streamlight. Insight used to make the M lights for us until 2005 when we released the TLR series. The M lights are made of polymer and has a tendency to melt with extreme heat. I cannot tell you how many M lights I've seen were the face cap was melted. The M lights use a Halogen lamp and the TLRs are LED. The TLRs battery will last longer than the M lights.

The M lights are a little lighter due to polymer versus aluminum TLR bodies.

I feel that LEDs offer a greater value because you will get more life out of your batteries and you won't have to change out the lamp every 25-30 hours of use with halogen lamps.

As far as the remote switch for the TLRs. I wouldn't advise using the remote switch unless you are going to mount the TLR to a carbine or shotgun. IMO, there is no reason to use a remote switch on a pistol. As someone stated earlier...the remote switch has a wire and you would have to tape it to your pistol. You can however use the TLR on a rifle or carbine. Our engineers have mounted the TLR2 to a 12 ga shotgun and fired over 100 rounds with the TLR2.

ETA: I wanted to include that the M lights are more difficult to mount compared to the TLRs.

I hope this information helped your decision.