M&P….Steyr…. Oh no!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I just had a chance to handle a M&P 9 for the first time. Frigin’ WOW. :shock: 8) I love it. I hate to say it but I think I leked it better than my Steyr. :shock: I liked how it looks, feels in my hand (Steyr is tad too small) and it's on sale; my lockal gun store just happend to have the best price on them in Canada (usually they are overpriced on other guns). I can sell my M9A1 and get enough money to buy the brand new M&P! :? :eek:

This sucks... I can’t afford to buy another gun right now and the only way I can get M&P is for me to sell the Steyr… :eek: :? :(

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

dont forget to check the
    M&P Pistol Tech Difficulties section

sounds like they have similarly tight chamber as Steyr's. but it does have a higher bore axis which may be more reliable with faster powders and light loads.

3. macodad

macodad Guest

I like the m&p too. friend has one in the 9mm and the palm swells felt good to grip, much different from my g22. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the m9 feels like (later this week!!!!). There is a lot of good talk about both (the M&P in particular seems to have recently become a hot cover model).
    but the chit chat on the m9 seems more underground, like the wave is building but just hasnt broke yet.

I hear what you are saying about the cost, Ellwood Epps (Barrie, On) has had them at a reduced price for a few months now and they are selling like hot cakes.

thought about the XD in 9mm, I find the package offer a great deal. All you need in one nice package for a decent price.

Why can't anyone else package their offering like that? Would be great if there was a simple kydex holster included with a new m9.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Steyr or not, never sell a gun to finance another one. Never ends well.

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Gray_Wolf!

While I must agree the M&P is a great gun, I wouldn't sell The Steyr for it though! :shock:

I have a 9mm M&P, it's very nice. My next pistol purchase is gonna be a M&P .45acp.
    They're due at the end of this month and I can't wait! :twisted:

[​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

mugdava, why do you say that?

7. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Gray_Wolf!

IMO, the M-A1 and M&P match up well for comparison purposes. It really comes down to Your preference, I rate My Steyr a little higher than My M&P. If You can, sell something else for the M&P. :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I asked IDPASteyr a while back how he liked his M&P and he told said it was great. And most of us know how much he shoots. He especially liked their customer service which I know from my experience was fabulous, probably the best in the business. I think he said he has had to return the gun for service and was very happy with them.

I've shot the M&P 40. It was good, higher bore axis. But I didn't say WOW.....but it was very good.....If I had the money, I'd probably get another Steyr for
    $350.00... :wink:

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

M&P story...

I hear ya Thunderbear... Kinda wished I had kept my Stoeger Cougar 9mm. I sold it for my Steyr. I really liked the Cougar. I am still getting used to my Steyr. Case of the grass is always greener, perhaps.

Funny/embarrasing story about the M&P. Last year the local range had a bunch of reps in, S&W, Sig, Springfield. You could shoot any gun you wanted all you had to do was pay for the ammo. So, I figured *if* I was in the market for a pistol, it would be a 9mm because its cheaper to shoot. That said, I have always had my eye on the PPK/S. I shot the little Walther and boy, I really like that gun and I shot it well. So next up, I wanted to try out some 9mm pistols. The S&W rep was really slick and friendly, he realy dominated the room, so I told him I would shoot an M&P, and I also really wanted to try out the XD. So I bought a box of 9mm. I can't remember which one I tried first, but when it came to the M&P, l loaded up the mag and I recall thinking, this is pretty easy to load for a hi cap magazine. Then I fired the gun and the bullet hit way low on the target, a total flier. Huh. So then I pulled the trigger again and ... nothing. No bang. Wha? I rack the slide and the case from the first round is still in the chamber. It took a second, then I realized, I had a M&P chambered in .40... Oh, sh*t! The 9mm case was blown out. I was rattled. I unloaded the mag, and took the pistol back to the rep and told him what I had done. He was totally cool, said no problem, that happens. Stripped the gun, looked down the barrel and declared no harm done. I was embarrassed and still rattled that I had done something like that. While I had been chatting it up with the rep I had forgotten that he said that he only had the M&P in .40 and I just had it in my mind that I would split a box of 9 between the M&P and XD. So he asked the range to give me a few rounds of .40 so I could really try the gun out, which I did, but I was so distracted that I didn't really get an impression of the gun. :oops:

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

makes life interesting :shock:

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

I just picked up an M&P 9mm because of the size of the gun and since I needed a 9mm.. :lol:

I will say the Steyr has a far superior trigger, the M&P will need a trigger job. The Steyr is smoother all the way around and more refined. The M&P feed ramp isn't as nicely finished (I'll have to do a polish on it).

The M&P isn't a bad gun at all. But it isn't as refined as the Steyr.

I'll report once I get time to put a few hundred through the M&P.

12. Ramshackle

Ramshackle Guest

I ended trading the Steyr for the M&P. No matter what how much I polished, lubed, prayed over it, etc., I couldn't get a smooth and consistent trigger pull. Even with all the polishing, the trigger was gritty and the pull weight was all over the place, going up or down by 2 pounds or more. I dry fired the crap out of it but it wouldn't smooth out. I finally gave up. Believe me, this was a gun I really wanted to love. The fit, feel and ergonomics are in a class of their own. Had Steyr got the trigger sorted it would be a real winner.

I'm sure each gun is different, but out of the box the trigger on the M&P is MUCH better than I could get with the Steyr. After polishing some internals I got the trigger down to a consistent 5 lb pull, something I could never do with the Steyr. I'm sure some Steys have better triggers than mine did.

13. I've found the reverse to be true that the Steyr pistol is a lot more consistent than the M&P. To me the M&P just doesn't have a nice pull that I get out of my Steyr. The Steyr still rates as the best DAO polymer pistol trigger I've used.

14. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I also prefer M&P's trigger; Steyr has a shorter reset/pull which makes the pull kinda stiff maybe because there’s no take up. I find M&P has a bit smother trigger which is also more consistent; Steyr’s trigger is definitely not 100% consistent; about 20-25% of the time it’s heavier than ’normal’.

15. louishob

louishob Premium Member

With the limited amount of shooting I've done with my new Steyr M357 A1, I've found the trigger to be smooth and very consistent. Also, the inference appears to be that a higher bore axis is preferable. A lower bore axis should reduce muzzle flip, perceived recoil and allow for quicker second shots (although the trigger has much more of an effect on second shots than bore axis). Granted practice and training can negate much of the effect of muzzle flip, but all things being equal, why not go with a weapon that has less flip to begin with ?
    Frankly, all the weapons mentioned, M&P, XD and Steyr are excellent designs. We're well into the area of user preferences here. One of the things I like about Steyr is that it's a relatively rare weapon in the US. (That rarity causes other problems, but that's a subject for another thread). There's a certain eltitism and snobbery that comes with that. (Be honest, we all suffer from it.) With a mass merchandiser like Smith and Wesson, in a few months we will be tripping over M&Ps. Where's the fun in that ? :wink: