M or S Series Production Run First?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Wulf, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

Hey, whataya think Steyr-Mannlicher should produce first for the American firearms market...M357-A1, S40-A1,S9-A1, M9-A1, S357-A1 or the M9-A1? :shock: I mean, my druthers would be the S357-A1, naturally. <shrug> But whata you guys think? And, why? Thanx in advance for your thoughts. :)

Wulf

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Personally, I would love to say M or S357A1, but I'm afraid I have to advocate what I think would sell the most, fast. Let's get 'em hooked here in the States, and then they can make the fancy stuff. I think there is a very real market here for the S9A1 and S40A1 - conceal and carry is huge right now. I would say everything else would make worthy second place contestants.

3. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

given the recent m blowout at cdnn and the scarcity of S models, there's probably a lot more pent up demand for the S models. agree with syntax on leading off with the best seller - the lower ammo price, lower recoil and availability of +P+ ammo for carry if needed makes the S9 a winner.

what do you think of yours Wulf, now that you've had one a while?

as for myself, i'm still a .357 fan - even though it may not have any advantages in a short barrel and some disadvantages in terms of muzzleblast and recoil - i like the idea of it and think as a cartridge it has not yet reached its full potential. we need a .357 Steyr load that'll take advantage of the better pressure handling of the Steyr M chambers and spit out chunks o' metal at close to 1600fps without a problem. :D

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I find myself agreeing with Syn & Squirrel,

I would think the S9A1 and S40A1 would be in highest demand....

But the 'new' M9A1 and M40A1 should be right on the heels of, and followed not to much longer by...

.357SIG and .45 variants of each.....

My personal collection will consist primarily of 9mm and 40SW.....

I don't own any .45 or .357SIG firearms, and am not planning on purchasing any, anytime soon....

I would add that I have nothing against the .45 round. I just don't see any purpose in carrying/using it, other than smaller capacity to do the same work as my .40SW...

And I am not sold on the .357SIG.... Sure greater capacity and super hot velocity, but I would be very concerned about OVER penetration in a defensive situation and the obvious repercussions of such...

My 2 cents....

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Yep, Me too!

the S9-A1 and S40-A1 seem to fit the bill of what most pistol buyers want. It's a quality compact pistol chambered in the venerable 9mm & 40S&W. I'm waitin' for an S40-A1. :wink:

IMO, the perfect set up would be a S40/357-A1 or M40/357-A1. One gun, two barrels! 8)
    _______
    mugdava

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

It's going to be very hard to sell the MA1 guns at "normal" prices until CDNN is sold out.
    Steyr is going to have too import "S" series pistols and accessories.
    If they develop an "L" series that should be next and include a 45 and 10mm.

Once the CDNN guns are gone (or near gone) they can import the "M" series again including a 45 and 10mm

They should also import a line of holsters from Sickinger in Germany as they make some duty gear. Right now there is no dedicated duty gear for the Steyr. There needs to be a holster that can carry the pistol with a Tac light attached.

If SAI can get at least one department to issue the gun they will have stepped over the hump.

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

My personal vote is with Wulf, the S357-A1, but of course they'll sell a lot more S9-A1s and S40-A1s just because most gun nuts 'R' us haven't ever shot a 357 Sig and don't know what a hot, fun, low-recoil round it is -- Phenomenal! I bet one magazine would convert a lot of 9mm and .40 cal. lovers.

And I would second the new .45 ACP and 10mm models, in MA1 , in a new L series and also in the SA1 series. If Glock can build and sell full-size, 4" and subcompact .45s and 10mms, that proves the market is there and Steyr can enter it. And I certainly believe that Steyr can build a "better Glock."

As for the MA1s in 9 and 40, they will definitely have a hard time selling those at $500+ as long as CDNN's got stock. That's a nice little mess the previous owner handed the new one and they'll just have to wait it out. I surely hope it won't re-establish that unenviable identity that Steyr once had as a "cheap pistol" which came about due to the close-out sales on the original M and S series pistols when production ceased on those.

It's a great pistol and it deserves its place in the sun. As madecov said, when the first LEO makes Steyr its duty weapon, that will be a huge step toward widespread acceptance in the U.S. market. Until then, we'll be owners of the best-kept secret in the pistol industry. But I believe the new ownership with new designs will turn the corner.

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

S9 A1 and then the M45

9. Kokitron

Kokitron New Member

This is starting to sound redundant but I am with the S9-A1 and of course the one I dream ofevery morning before I wake up, the L45-A1 (14 round double stack just like the Springfield). I would buy both.

K

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If .45 is on the table, I think that should be priority. There is a huge demand for .45 polymer pistols right now, and should the "Anti-Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act of 2007" pass (unlikely, I know...), there will be a HUGE cry for it. When people are limited to 10 rounds, many will want 10 of the biggest, meanest things they can get their hands on. Plus, innovation is always a good thing for pistol manufacturers - the development of an L series would be a huge step towards progress and would definitely scream "we're here to stay", IMHO.

My concern with the S357A1 is that a significant portion of th energy is going out of the shorter barrel in the form of flash and bang. If you rob the .357SIG of some velocity, it loses a big part of it's "edge" over 9mm, etc...

11. squirrelpotpie

well lets kick the ball in another direction since its heading that way anyway.

ok, lets assume the S pistols will make it back to the states this summer and that maybe by next year this time they'll introduce a new pistol in .45 or 10mm.

The question is: Would you more interested in a 10mm Steyr pistol or a .45cal Steyr pistol?

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

My Vote: 10mm

:D :D :D

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Already have a sexy .45:

[​IMG]

10mm!!!

14. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i just want a big beefy frame that will hold up to .40 super. i'm sure that any pistol steyr builds for 10mm or .45 will take that abuse.

i think steyr will find the s40 a1 moves pretty fast.

the other thought i had that plays right into steyr's modular grip, sub-frame, slide system is to make a plastic grip that accomodates s series mags, but has a long enough dust cover for the m slide.

longer barrel allows higher pressure and velocity in any round and the longer sight distance allows more precise shooting; particularly when the same sights are put on both lengths of slide. but that short grip conceals so much better and printing is negligible.

if push came to shove, and a lonely kurt vise was looking for something to do... one could always start with an m series and cut the grip down. or have two grips, one for carry and one for competition. with 2 barrels, a .40 or .357 for carry and a 9mm for competition. the modular design has yet to be put to it's full potential.

for me the perfect gun would be 4" barrel .40 super with a 10+1 capacity in the s size frame. a pretty tall order. but if glock can shove 10 +1 in the g30 and taurus can do it in the pt145, steyr will be able to cram 12+1!!!

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would rather see the 10mm, personally, but again - I would have to vote for a L45A1 because I think it would sell better here in the states. However, a 10mm offering would put Steyr on the radar of every 10mm fanatic in the country and it would sell astoundingly well to that niche market as there is very little competition.

However, for the foreseeable future I think we are limited to M and S frames - Steyr's gotta learn to walk in this country before they can run. :) Doomsday/bankruptcy chatter aside, I think the CDNN blowout was a great move on SAI's behalf to snag all those on-the-fence folks who wanted a Steyr, but didn't want to pay $450-550 to try it out.

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam! :shock:

Perhaps I should rephrase this Subject a bit to include, "Choosing only from the M and S Series Pistols and excluding 10MM, 45 ACP/45 Gap, or 40 Super, which should be produced first for the American market??? For now, pretend that only 9MM, 357 SIG, and 40 SW were in your list of options! :roll: Jeez! :twisted: And all u lurkers out there, stop lurkin' and chime in, if only with a simple little post like:

"An M357-A1 because I want one." <-- a simple little lurker response that I could make use of rather than, "........"

That would be a little help from the cheap seats. So, consider this a little "redirect" from my usual 45/10MM hijackers...and you know who you are. Thanx again for your help with this Subjet. OK, ...

"Game on"

Wulf <-- hopin' to get this thread back on target <sigh>

17. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

It would sell. Heck, I'd buy one today! 8)
    _______
    mugdava

18. squirrelpotpie

Hi ya Wulf,

I see you are trying to steal your ball back and I only have one thing to say about that.

10mm! :lol:

19. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

K, Wulf. Here's a lurker chiming in for you. lol.

I'll take one of them S9-A1's, a kydex iwb, and large fries, please.

I need a compact and I already have a M9-A1. Easier on my budget if I can just buy one type of ammo. :D

20. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It would have been harder to dissent and vote .45/10mm if this had been a poll :p. Surely you knew we would all run with the L suggestions :lol:, and that surely is just one more indicator of how badly we all want the .45/10mm . :twisted: