Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new here and looking at my first Steyr.

I've had a fullsize 1911 for a while and recently acquired my CHL. I've been carrying my 1911 and I actually conceal it quite well for it's size, but ultimately started to think about what ifs and started to feel like something with a little more capacity, better sights, better reliability and the ability to mount a light would be a more ideal carry pistol.

Initially since I hide a 1911 so well I was (and still am) looking for an M9-a1, but the only local dealer I can find that has any Steyr stuff is actually Cabelas. I swung today and pushed and shoved my way along the counter and found only an S9 and an S40, but couldn't get ahold of any sales reps to ask if that's all they had (and by the looks of it it was). I like that the size looks comparable to a glock 19, which I feel is about perfect for carry, but my only issue with this pistol is that it only has 10rd mags. That's one of my main reasons for looking at something else, but since my 1911 already has an 8rd mag it seems a little moot. I'm curious if a 15rd M/C series mag will load into the S models? Because I'm one of those goofballs who doesn't really mind having the mag stick out a little.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, it will fit and feed just fine, just sticking out about an inch. S obviously won't fit into M/C being too short, but the M/C will fit the S.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
It has been my experience that the 1911 conceals well because they are so thin - but they weigh as much as a boat anchor, so they don't make for a great carry gun. The Steyr pistols will fix the weight issue, but they are a good bit thicker - this will present new carry woes.

The S-A1 would make a great carry gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I imagine it'd be a bit thicker. My 1911 is thinner in the slide like you stated, but I have the big rubber hogue grips on it so the grip seems to be about on par with a lot of other grips. I think the shorter grip and barrel will make the difference I'm looking for though. Since my usual issues are the mag either gets caught on something that grazes my back or I sit down and the barrel gets caught on something (like the seatbelt latch) and jams the gun into my side. And also, yes, it's heavy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went ahead and grabbed it, last one they had in 9mm. They had also just stocked up on 9mm.

Can't wait to try it out!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Break it down and clean the heck out of it first. So far my S9-A1 has shot 147g ammo perfectly. It doesn't like 115g and under. I'm half way through breaking mine in. Have fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I noticed it wasn't super slick, but I pulled the slide off and saw that it basically had no oil or preservative inside (but no corrosion either). Hopefully I'll have enough time today to tear it down, clean and lube it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my 17rdr in yesterday.

It does stick out a bit, but it's surprisingly comfortable for me to hold a shooting grip with. Which I'm glad to find out, because that means it's comfortable to carry/shoot either the 10 or 17rd mags.

:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts