M-A1 with manual safety

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by rosebud, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I called SAI yesterday and found out that although there are lots of pictures of M-A1 models with the M style manual safety, are only available as an option in Europe currently.

I recall someone here posting that they are possible but very hard to get in the USA, and I was wondering if that could be expanded upon?

Thanks in advance.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

When I first signed on the board there was a user who I recall signed a waiver sent to him by Steyr Austria to release S-M from all liability regard the safety and the pistol. I could have sworn he ended up receiving the pistol, and to the best of my knowledge it was the only one that made it stateside. However, this was quite awhile ago and I do not have any links to support the story.

Regardless, getting a M-A1 with a manual safety does not appear to be an option these days, so even if we did have links/pictures/whatever, it wouldn't do a lick of good. I desperately wanted the M-A1 with a manual safety when I first got the pistol/first started carrying, but I have since "seen the light" and realize a safety would ultimately be to my detriment and I am quite pleased that things worked out the way they did. With a quality kydex holster and a sound sense of safe firearm handling skills, your Steyr will be just as safe as any other CCW candidate, and you won't have to concern yourself performing one more fine motor task should you (god forbid) ever need to use your pistol to defend your life. 8)

3. rosebud

rosebud New Member

OK, that's about what I was expecting. I like having the option of a manual safety even though I don't carry with the safety engaged (no SA-only carry guns for me). I mostly use safety switches when the gun isn't in my direct control, like at the range. People aren't perfect, so more safety in a non-defense situation is something I like.

I'll hopefully be posting about a new M9A1 with perfect functioning in the near future. Now here's hoping the local sheriff doesn't deny my permit (may issue state) and force me to move 20 minutes over to the next county where the sheriff treats people equally :?

4. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

I was given the option of a manual safety when I ordered in New Zealand. I declined the safety as I hope to be shooting it in competition.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

What shooting discipline would have a disadvantage for guns with safeties?