M-A1 Reliablity

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by raul1427, Oct 27, 2007.

1. raul1427

raul1427 Guest

Hi everyone, I'm the newbie on the block.

Just wanted some opinions on any Steyr's M-A1 reliability issues, ie., FTF, FTE or any other malfunctions.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

My M357-A1 has been a lot more faithful that most women I've known (including two ex-wives). She's been a great shooter right out of the box to somewhere upwards of 600 rounds. I quit trying to keep track several months ago.

Just shoot and enjoy. The more you shoot, the better she gets, particularly the trigger, which some report is a bit stiff before break-in. Mine was fine from the box, but she's had BigTaco's trigger treatment anyway. Check out his tutorial M&S Series "Trigger Tune Up" by Bigtaco link on the homepage, plus these others I'm too lazy to link for you:

* M&S Series "How It Works" by Bigtaco
    * M&S Series "Trigger Reset" by Bigtaco
    * Extractor Removal Steyr M&S Pistols
    * M&S Series Sear mechanism disassembly and reassembly
    * Maintenence for Steyr M&S Pistols
    * Cort's Steyr M Disassembly Guide
    * Steyr M Manual
    * Make your own Kydex Holster

One upgrade you should consider is one of Bigtaco's stainless-steel guiderods. The black anodized version is staring at you just below the muzzle on my avatar.

If you have any FTEs, FTFs, et c. beyond an occasional hiccup during the first 250-500 rounds, call SAI, the U.S. service and import center. They'll fix any problems pronto.

STEYR ARMS, INC.
    P.O.Box 2609
    Cumming, GA 30028
    USA

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (770) 888-4201
    Fax: (770) 888-4863

3. raul1427

raul1427 Guest

Thanks for th info

I thank you for the info. I am teetering between brands. I like the Steyr and tend to be leaning towards it as apposed to Glock or XDs.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Re: Thanks for th info

Dare to be different. :twisted:

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya raul* :)

I would suggest that you phone up a local dealer that has what you think you're interested in purchasing in stock and available for ya to handle. Put a few down range, if you're able. <shrug> The Steyr M-A1's would be the ones most likely not to be instock of those 3. If none of the local firearms dealers can manage ta put one in your hands, post your home 20, and I'll just about guaranty onna our friendly nearby SC Bro's could help ya out. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Wulf

6. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

Hi! I bought an M9A1 and encountered FTE (extract) regularly. Some suggested a break-in of 500 rounds. I sent it to SAI in Georgia instead. They returned the pistol in about 10 days with a note explaining that I had an older style extractor and they had replaced it with the newer style extractor and components and fired 100 rounds of WWB with no malf. No charge.

More to be revealed. The moral of THIS story is that should you ever have a problem with yours, Steyr's customer service is outstanding. Despite what you hear on the net, Steyr is alive and well in the United States (Cumming, GA to be specific) and will take care of the problem.

Enjoy!

7. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

545 rounds of WWB out of a brand new M9A1 don't lie. Steyrs rock. Now where is the S9A1?? LOL

8. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

OWNERS

I own both. And if the M9A1 was a little smaller, it would be my primary carry gun. It is SWEET. :wink:

9. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Listen to the dark side. "Dare To Be Different". Why buy something everyone else is walking around with. If everyone chewed bubble-gum, would you? If everyone took a long weekend and took a beautiful woman to Mexico for a full weekend full of drinking and a no-talking sex..... would YOU :shock: !!!

Tell me, Just because you can, doesn't make it right. Feel the pistol's grip.... go a head touch it. Smell the new construction or the perfectly formed and engineered parts. ..... Wait this is a pistol forum, not "Dear Penthouse".

Take the time and play. Only one rule...... Don't ask the forum what type of caliber to buy! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Syn, I changed my avatar because I didn't have the best saying to go with the .jpg. NOW, I am complete.

MTS

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

Some Steyr pistols have extraction issues, most do not.
    Steyr gets em fixed fast.

Mine has been flawless in over 2000 rounds after they took care of it.

I have enough confidence in mine to carry it as a duty weapon.

11. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

Midtn,

Like the new look! Wish i knew how to make an avatar! I don't even know how to get a regular pic to show up b/c I don't have a url from which to link it!? I'm a gun geek not a puter geek. ;)

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Lookin' good. 8)

I think madecov hit the nail on the head... You are at risk of getting a lemon regardless of what make you decide to go with (yes, this axiom includes the vaunted glocks). You are not, however, guaranteed to get stellar customer service from all manufacturers. I dare you to find someone who has interacted with SAI's customer service and was not supremely impressed. That being said, I'm guessing you will be just fine with your Steyr purchase. :)

13. nixon

nixon Member

Raul,
    don't wait too long before CDNN supply dries up. I have an m40-a1 and an m9 top end coversion and I love it. Those advise/opinion given by net, syn, and others are excellent. Don't forget to tell us as soon as you got yours.

Nixon,

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

IWB in a TAC-1 holster at 8:30 :twisted:

[​IMG]

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...as wrong as it sounds.....

...I must admit, I lust after that which is in Thuunderbears...... eh..... er..... TAC-1 :oops: :oops: :oops:

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

we'll al have s40-A1's for christmas.

we're just not sure which year.

17. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

You, sir, are a tease. :p

I waited and waited and waited before ordering my High Noon holster, hoping that the S9A1 would be around by Christmas. I broke down Monday and ordered.

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Gave ya'll the heads-up on Davidson's when I bought mine.. can't say nobody warned ya. :lol: