M-9A1 range report update

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by sewerman, Apr 20, 2007.

1. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

guess i need to post an updated range report on my new CDNN steyr.

i have probably 500 rds thru her.

very positive cartridge removal and dedicated ejection placement.

my only concern is shot placement.

compared to my old M-9 this weapon has shot placement
    consistantly at 9 o`clock when aimed center bull at 20 yds.
    shooting WWB or Wolf makes no difference.

i was hoping that getting use to the sights might be the cause and i have changed
    sight aligment to compensate for shot placement.

my older model has LEO sights which ...frankly at this writing i somewhat prefer.

has anyone else experienced this problem with shot placement during break in?

other then this one item i can find no faults with this weapon though i prefer the feel of the older grip, maybe only because i'm accustomed to it. i 'm still dedicated to this company.
    one of my sons covets his brother's X-9 and i say why do that when you can have a
    steyr for $350 + $9 freight from CDNN? what's the point!

thanks in advance for any feed back,

hoke

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Do the triggers feel the same? If you are right handed, you might be giving the trigger a slight tug which should cause the bullets to go soaring slightly to the left of POA. My guess is you are just not accustomed to the pistol yet on all accounts - practice should remedy all concerns. If you prefer the 3 dots, send your slide off to PT and get a new set of night sights thrown on there. :)

3. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

the grip on the newer model is somewhat fuller.

the trigger is basically the same , the older one slightly smoother from being broke in.

i will do a bench shot later down the road to determine if there's more then human error.

4. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, sewerman,

Twenty yards is a pretty manly distance for a 4" barrel and iron sights. You'll master the new trigger with more range time. I've had my M9A1 for almost a year and about 4,000 rounds. Here's a 100-round group I did last weekend http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tglahn17/ ... pg&.src=ph The grid lines are one inch. This was at seven yards with 115-gr WWB. I fired ten 10-round magazines, emptying each magazine in about seven seconds. I'm inclined to say that the M9A1 is a natural pointer. Later,

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Nice shootin' tglahn17 - I think those 100 rounds would equate to a whole 'lotta hurt on a non-paper target!

20 yards is a pretty good distance for a defensive handgun - I typically focus on the 7-10 yard range, too.

6. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Thanks, Syntax360. By the way, let me be one more person to say that your flash hider is the whole business. Say hello to my little friend! Later,

7. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

nice shootin!

will do the shorter distances and report.

though usually i shoot at the 15 -20 yd distance and do quite acceptable on the old M-9
    and most others, XD-9, even taurus24/7.

i'm beginning to think these tri sight are designed for shorter distances.

thanks

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've always felt that the trap sights are really good for fast target acquisition and short range. I had to step up to 3 dot to pull the to be able to do more precision work. PT's prices aren't bad at all considering they will do the install, and they offer so many different setups you are sure to find something that works best for you.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

sewer:
    Glad to hear it was trouble free. Make sure the contours on the A1 grip aren't causing a finger placement or hand alignment change that is sending the shot left. You may have to grip it in a manner slightly different from the old M grip.

10. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

will be mentally aware of that aspect when i hit the range next time around.

thanks

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Should you discover that your grip is the problem, keep in mind that a rubber slip on grip can help throw off some of the curves and allow you to get a better grip.

12. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I too am grouping at 9 o'clock and also at 11 o'clock. It is totally a trigger control issue for me. When I do it right I hit dead center. I have definitely improved my accuracy over the last few months, in general, but I now consistently have too much finger on the trigger. I think the short reach has actually set me back in that regard.

But the fact that I am hitting slightly right is not big deal because they are still solidly within the center of mass and I am faster and have much more consistent shot placement.