M-9 comparsion to newer A-1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by sewerman, Dec 19, 2005.

1. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

ok so i've not fully decided to purchase the M-9 that everyone was so kind to advise me about.

i would like to know if the A-1 from "on point arms is worth the additional money ? ($132.00)
    is the A-1 much improved over the previous model?....enough to justify the difference in price for the hobby shooter?
    thanks for any responses.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I think you are really just paying for aesthetics. they both shoot and feel just about the same, although the A1 has a redesigned grip. If you plan on fitting her with a light or laser you probably need to get the A1 for its picatinny rail. I went for the A1, because to me it's worth the extra money. To each his own.

3. madecov

madecov Active Member

I have one of each (40)
    The A1 feels a lot better in MY hand

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

cdnn is out of the closeout original M9's.
    there are still some floating around dhops and auctions, but the cheap closeouts from a known reputable wholesaler are gone now. So the price difference might not be that great.

5. Matches

Matches New Member

I prefer the M9 in my hand to the A1. I agree with Syntax360 about accessories though.

Matches

6. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I have an M40 and am planning on upgrading to the A1 in the new year. I've given ALOT of thought about whether the A1 will be worth the money when I already own an M40 and have concluded that the design differences between the two models do justify the upgrade. The extractor has been improved and while I could swap out the old M40 for the new A1 design I also like the rail of the A1 for light attachments.

In addition, the A1 has a much rougher and easier to grip handle that I've heard many Steyr brethern testify on this website is an improvement over the old design. Plus, I just think that a man should arm himself with the most advance weapon he can afford.

Just my thinking behind the A1 vs. the M take it for what its worth.

Safe Shooting.

7. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

M-9 compared to A-1

ok , seems like most everyone agrees that the A-1 has a better grip and frame rail system. yet i read of only one post that stated an improvement over the steyr issues...i.e. fte.
    what i'm trying to justify is the increase in price difference between the two if there is no real internal improvements on the trigger reset spring, and fire pin spring issues etc. etc. if i can hear from some owners that these problems have been improved then i can feel good about spending the extra $110.00 over the M-9 otherwise i'll have an expensive gun that has the same mishaps as the previous model was plagued with.
    this is awful since i seem drawn to this weapon.

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

My A1 seems to get better the more I shoot it.
    Have not had a single malfuntion, and the trigger improves as I dry fire it or fire on a hot range.

9. Tweakmeister

Tweakmeister New Member

Is the grip angle different?

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

Angle of the grip is the same, but the shape of the grip was changed and I think it fits the hand better.

11. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

I still like the feel and look of the M series, specially now that I have seen an A1 in a gunshow last week. But since the 40s here is available in the A1 series only I have no choice, it is a newer production anyways! But if the older version would be made available here... I wont think twice.