Lube recommendations for m40-a1

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by straight_shooter, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Just got the new M40-a1 today and field stripped it. :p I would like a suggestion (yeah, I know this is an issue that has been brought up many times) for a lubricant that will function well in michigan's cold winter as well as in the hot summer months. I have used Remdrilube before and it does prety well, but leaves a white film after drying in many cases. I read a lot of posts refering to remoil, would that be a good general lube (I also use hoppes gun oil in many app's) for the slide horns as well as the spring pivots etc.? I am not familar with the new *space age* lubricants that I have heard about, just the old standby remmington and hoppes (nothing smells better than a freshly opened bottle of good old #9 cleaner) .

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I like Militec-1 for the hot summer months (it's pretty thick) and Eezox (thin) for winter, but either would work just as well in either season and both are highly regarded. Eezox has some of the best rust preventitve qualities on the market, and there is nothing wrong with good 'ol Breakfree CLP (probably the best "bargain" lube as most Walmarts have it). You will likely need to order Militec or Eezox (both are worth it!).

MPro7 is hands down my favorite solvent. Hoppes 9 is fine, too.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I mostly use plain old Breakfree.
    In the summer I have used Wilson's Ultima Lube (and any number of others). For pure lubrication I'm not sure how much difference there is for a well-maintained gun.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

One of my favorites is S&W Dry Lube, plus I also use a small squirt bottle with Castrol synthetic 5W motor oil in it.

And even though I got the idea from a post I saw here soon after I joined the Steyr Club, I seem to be one of the few fans of Slide Glide, as I haven't seen it mentioned by anybody but me in recent lube posts. I think it's great!

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

The Lite version is for carry weapons and I use it on all my pistols. However, we don't get much of a winter here.

5. SELFDEFENSE

Nfoto:
    Does the stringyness of the Slide Glide create sticky or messy conditions when it gets mixed with powder residue and dirt?

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Never for me and I've used it on my M357-A1, G29 and S&W 669. If it was going to get messy, I'd expect it with the 669. Since 9mm is so much cheaper than 357 Sig and 10mm, I tend to shoot more with the 669 when I go shooting and it does get dirty. With its stubby little 3.5" barrel, it's usually blackened all around the business end of the frame when I put more than a few rounds through it and it also seems to get dirtier inside than my others.

But I've never found any gritty mess in the slide rails when I take it apart for cleaning, so I would say the Slide Glide is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, keeping things running smoothly even when it's dirty inside. :mrgreen:

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

For a carry/combat gun, Enos suggests using only the thinnest SlideGlide, and then to use it "extremely sparingly". That tells me something.

8. Dag

Dag Guest

Lube Suggestions

Hi straight_shooter

I'm a SoCal guy, so I can't directly speak to Michigan weather. Just about anything works OK here, as long as you clean your gun regularly. I've read several comments from shooters who use good quality motor oil. Specifically the synthetic blends. They're designed for temperature extremes and harsh operating environments, and talk about cost effective! A few bucks for a full quart, which will probably last the rest of your life (may it be long and prosperous :)). Buy a quart at each extreme of the viscosity scale, and I suspect you'll be good to go.

Dag

9. SELFDEFENSE

Think I might give it a try on my new PPK.

10. Re: Lube Suggestions

Dag - thanks for the tip on synth oil, I agree it would be cheap and easy way to go. I do not know the effects of the synth lube on the poly frame however (as I have read that chlorinated brake cleaner can have a few issues with the frames) - have you ever heard any issues with synth oils on the frames? :?

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

It's an oil, not a solvent. the frame is more chemically durable than the plastic bottle the oil comes in.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

agreed. abs is an oil based product. oil is fine.

13. Dag

Dag Guest

Synthetic Motor Oil

Hi straight_shooter

+1 to both of the above. I've not heard of anyone having problems with any of the synthetics (nor standard motor oil either, for that matter). Be sure and let us know what you decide, and how it works out. :) Thanks!

Dag

14. West01

West01 New Member

Howdi Guys,

Was out of town for some time and kind of miss you guys :D

Synthetic oil like Mobil-1 and so on should be OK, although I have never tried it :? But just to make sure there is no confusion: Fellow Steroid do not use any motor oil containing paraffin. It has a nasty habit to coagulate with powder residue.

Also so called Brake Oil fluid is not a lubricant. It is an hygroscopic mineral fluid and is design for hydraulic circuit only not for firearms. And stay away from any Chlorinate lubricants and or Trycos...It will react with polymer...sooner or later. Pistol polymer are not immune to this. Its maybe OK for occasional use but eventually ...the polymer will react and...not good :shock:

I had good luck with Tetra grease on the slide groove in very small quantity and the cam block under the barrel. I use light oil like Rem-oil for the rest.

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.htm

Cheers!

:D

West01