Looks like the extractor fix for my M9 worked

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Zhukov, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov New Member

Like many others, my M9 was plagued by faulty extraction periodically. I managed to get a 1911 plunger spring and cut it to size to fit in with the original extractor spring. Boy - talk about a PITA to get that spring assembly back in there without losing an eye!

I haven't had a chance to go to the range until this past weekend, but it looks like it did the trick. There's still the occasional piece of brass which will bounce off your noggin, but no jams this time.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats. Think Steyr can do this in original production?

3. Zhukov

Zhukov New Member

Ha!

That would be nice, wouldn't it? I haven't paid attention to the new M9, I doubt they are doing anything to the old(er) models.

4. jba3

jba3 New Member

Extractor

Hi, Steyr now has a newly designed extractor/spring setup. I just sent my M9A1 back to the factory and the swap out was done. I shipped it to them and they shipped it back. Took about a week but I made an appointment. Jeff

5. theFiasco

theFiasco Guest

JBA3,

By shipping to the factory, do you mean you sent it to SAI in Georgia? Or back to Austria?

Thanks,

-tF

6. cobra-viper

cobra-viper New Member

I had to do the same fix to my M9-A1. Next time, try reassembling it inside of a plastic grocery bag, it keeps the springs from being eaten by the carpet monster.

7. mikey

mikey Guest

I'm sure they mean sending it to SAI in Georgia. :D

I had a replacement extractor assembly installed on my M40 by Steyr's boys in Georgia (no charge - fast turnaround) and I recall hearing that the "new" extractor spring (as compared to the old version) is a bit longer, with a few extra coils.

So, as far as I can tell, it's essentially the same end result as the 1911 plunger spring modification.