Looking to shoot the M40-A1 before I buy

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Xahrrn, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Greetings all, I am in Athens, GA, shoot at the Firing Lane and am looking to meet up with someone who will allow me to put a few rounds through their M40-A1 so I can make a fully informed decision on if it is the gun for me as I am currently looking to buy a new weapon.

If you are within 60 miles or so of Athens, email me as to when it would be convenient for you to get together to facilitate this. Naturally, I would be the one doing the driving to your shooting range.

If you let me know what kind of ammo you shoot through it I'll bring 100 rounds, shoot a few and leave the rest with you for your help.

I look forward to hearing from one of the Steyr Club family.

Thanks,
    Xahrrn

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

In in Colorado Springs, Co. sorry :(

3. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Nevermind

Greetings, I want to thank all the readers of my post and tell y'all that I am going to the range in Cumming, GA to shoot the M40-A1 tomorrow. They have a 9 and a 40 for rent and I'll put the whole 100 I have on hand through it.

I'll update tomorrow evening after I go over it in my mind for a bit.

Thanks,
    Xahrrn

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds great! Let us know what you think...

5. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

My report

Well, I drove the hour and a half to shoot the M40-A1 and I must say that it was well worth the trip, time and money.

I took my Kenpo Karate instructor (T) and a fellow Kenpo student (B) with me.

T has owned hand guns for over 20 years and has shot many thousands of rounds. B was a Navy shooting team instructor and competed during his time in the military. I value their input re:guns as they are the closest to me with the most knowledge and are not afraid to give genuine feedback.

T went first with the Steyr. T is left handed and his only complaint was that the ejector sent them back into his face, which was to be expected as he is left handed. His groupings were quite nice in spite of this distraction. He saved his full opinion until I shot after B so as to not color my thoughts before I shot.

B was 9 of 12 in the bull with his strays being only an inch outside of it. He gave a hmmm, nice, head and face gesture without actually saying anything and handed me the magazine to load and shoot.

While I was loading the magazine, T took a Ruger P95 9MM and went on to shoot a much more random pattern than the Steyr as it too was not his normal gun. It was a loaner whilst his P95 40 S&W is being repaired.

B then took his P95 9MM (different P95) and shot a magazine into a pattern which could be covered by 50 cent piece.

It was now my turn with the Steyr....

I shot slow and deliberately with the first magazine from 7 yards. I would drop my arms, take a breath and then shoot each shot as if it were the only shot I would take with the weapon. I had an excellent grouping for having never held the gun before. I had several mini groups touching and none were too far afield from the others so as to indicate that I was flinching, even though I felt the trigger pull was a bit long and right at the end it seemed to be a little sticky, right before it fired. This was a little disconcerting and I know that it is easily fixed so I wasn't overly concerned. It just took a little getting used to is all.

T & B both let me shoot the rest of the 40's and I shot a mag with fuzzy eyes as if I was blurry from getting whacked in the head, I shot a magazine as fast as I could, I shot a mag of 1000 1 1000 2 1000 3, fire as well as at 15 yards and all I can say is that my nipples are still hard.

This weapon performed as smoothly as I thought it might and had hoped it would. The grouping of my rapid fire was most impressive as resetting the sight was effortless. B even commented that he thought I was yanking his chain about never handling the gun before and having taken 20 years off from shooting. He was sure that I had one at home and just wanted to make him drive.

Again, this was a shooting range rental gun, not a new gun by any means.

The only gun to test before I buy an M40-A1 will be the Sig Sauer P229. Only if I like the Sig a WHOLE lot better would I buy it instead of the Steyr.

One last question, is it pronounced St(eye)r or St(ee)r.

I will keep you posted as to when I will be joining the fraternity of Steyr.

May you all be well and only have to shoot for practice.

Thanks,
    Xahrrn

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Well its not a castrated cow, so it would be Sti-er :wink:

One thing that really turned me away from the sig and the springfield xd (besides the price :shock: ) is the height of the barrel over your hand. Both of their barrels sit much higher than a steyr or glock. I personally couldnt stand it, but I have a few wheelgun buddies who like it more cause it rolls back more like a wheelgun.

7. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Thanks for input

RiceCakes, you said: :>>>"Well its not a castrated cow, so it would be Sti-er."

>>>"One thing that really turned me away from the sig and the springfield xd (besides the price Shocked ) is the height of the barrel over your hand. Both of their barrels sit much higher than a steyr or glock. I personally couldnt stand it, but I have a few wheelgun buddies who like it more cause it rolls back more like a wheelgun."

My question then becomes "What part of the cow gets castrated? I thought castration was a bull thang." :wink:

I agree that the price is up there and the way I shot the Steyr in rapid fire mode was so fluid that I would have to put 4-5 in the same hole with the Sig to choose it over the Steyr for the extra money to go bye bye.

While at the range a fellow let me shoot his Glock 22 and I couldn't hit a thing with it, just like the first time I shot one at my local range.

Thanks for caring enough to respond RC, I do appreciate your input.

Be well,
    Xahrrn

8. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

LoL, no problem. Castrated cow seemed to flow better :lol:

I personally cant get follow up shots nearly as quick with the XD, but a lot of people are picking them up, with a lot of good things to say. Might want to look at one of those also, they are in the same price range. I was in the same boat two years ago. Glock Steyr Sig XD. There are some offbrands, but those were the ones I was looking at. The glock and the Steyr are still the only ones Ive seen with a low barrel profile. I know BT and Madecov have handled way more guns, Im sure most here have, I hope they jump in if any other guns have the low barrel.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Just a side note - three friends and I all tested the 4" XD9 next to 2 M9A1s - mine and my friend's "stock" model. Even a first time shooter with zero influence (no, really - we didn't talk him up about the Steyr at all) greatly preferred the Steyrs - perceived recoil from the XD9 is significantly greater IMHO than the M9A1. I believe marketing and price point with accessories (albeit cheap quality accessories) are the reason for the XD series success.

Definitely check out the Sig - they are truly excellent firearms as well. :)

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

How dirty were the range guns?
    I pronounce it Sch-tie-er Mahn-leasher

11. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Dirty guns

I couldn't tell you as I didn't even check. Judging from the fact that it was cleaned upon my turning it back in would at least say to me that they at least got the surface gunk out/off of it.

I would be interested to know as well.

I'm sure that the assumption was that they would not let a dirty gun onto their range as neither B nor T thought to check it either.

I'll know for next time to run a white cleaning patch through it before I shoot it so as to get a feel for the range standards.

Thanks for the question, it'll come in handy next time.

Be well,
    Xahrrn

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Really lucky you got one to rent. I have never seen Steyr rentals in this neck of the woods.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

There definitely aren't any Steyrs for rent around here, either. In fact, I can't say I've ever shared the range with a non-personal friend Steyr shooter. Folks come up and ask me what type of XD I'm shooting, or comment on how they've never seen that model glock before ( :evil: ) when I hit the range. :( They always seem real interested, though... That's gotta count for something. :)

14. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Yeah, I get the same reaction. I had a buddy last time shooting a .44 wheelgun, said he didnt like polymer pistols. Then I kept scoring hits at 100, he was VERY interested. He was so used to 9mm glocks that pattern instead of group.