Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

New to the forum, this being my first post.

I'm currently a resident of Michigan, although we're soon moving to Florida (in the next month or so).

I have been looking for a while into getting an M9A1 for my CC. In Michigan this wouldn't be a problem for EDC/CC as all the extra clothing makes it easy to keep it concealed. However moving to Florida, with thick blood I expect to be wearing less clothing when out and about.

What I'd like to know is: of the people on the forum, who are in Florida and whose EDC is a Steyr; which do you use for your CC?
Does anyone use the M or the C? Or is the S the only option for CC?

All this asked notwithstanding the fact that I'll need to resit my CC classes after I get my Florida driver's licence, so it might be a while before I buy... Unless I buy it before we move in the next 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
This comes up a lot and I'm sure you'll get all the same answers. You can CC a M-A1 just fine so long as you have a good holster and a good belt (seriously, don't skimp on the belt). I carried a M9A1 for at least 6 years here in Dallas/Fort Worth - I dress like a regular [boring] white guy in clothes that fit properly. The S-A1 series pistol will conceal easier because the grip is smaller - grip size is just about all you need to concern yourself with for carry.

My advice would be to start with the M-A1 - if it's unbearable, you have an excuse to get a S-A1 to compliment it. If you just love the M-A1 and have no trouble carrying it, you'll be dying to get another Steyr and will have an excuse to get a S-A1 to compliment it. :D Either way, cut your teeth on the larger gun and you will appreciate the smaller gun all the more later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Syntax,
Thanks for your reply.

I have been concerned about the size of the grip on the SA1, as my hands tend to suit a larger grip; hence I had been more interested in the M or the C. However having never carried somewhere hot I had become equally concerned about concealing.

I can't fault your logic! Worst case scenario I end up with an M that I love and an S to accompany it... I think I can cope with that. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From my perspective, if you plan on getting the C you might as well get the M. Not sure what the market segment is for C, as you get the S slide and barrel and M frame / grip. I personally cc the S very comfortably.
I like Syntax's logic though -- the man has a plan to get you two for one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for confirming my suspicion Eddy. I had the same thought process about the C, but wasn't sure if I was flawed in my understanding of the C.
If I could just get my hands physically on an S then I might get one instead of the M. But I think I'll start with an M.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in Gainesville and I carry the M-9A1 and a CZ P-07, both of which are about the same size. I even carry with a light. The grip on the M disappears because of the angle, it is less quick to print. I admit I've been toying with the idea of an S for warmer months, but I would also change my mode of carry to IWB appendix from IWB 3:00. I think if I moved the M to appendix it would disappear just as easily.

All that to say. The M is perfectly fine to conceal, even in shorts and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to Florida, I live in Ocala which is in the middle of the state. I have several pistols in my carry rotation. These include 1911s, HK P30l, Browning Hi-Power, and a Steyr L-9A1. I wear a short sleeve button up shirt over a t-shirt. I usually use an Avenger style holster. Just make sure you have a sturdy belt. I use a Nelson Avenger holster for both my Steyr and HK.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I am a FL native and I live close to Daytona Beach. I prefer IWB vs OWB. Very easy as most of us just wear our T-shirts or polo shirts untucked. Everyone who actually notices the bump assumes its a phone.
Biggest issue will be sweat. Make sure your holster will cover the gun to keep sweat from getting to it. That will cause rust, collect dust and other "stuff" and get your gun dirty and gummy.
I will suggest for you to check out http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum as they are a great forum dedicated to the GunShine state.

I believe that FL will take your MI card in lieu of the class so that you just have to send it in with your application. Check the Dept of Agriculture website as they are the ones who issue CWL's.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Florida boy here...I carry pistols larger and bigger than any steyr and covering them with a tshirt. I often carry my l9 steyr with no issues No one notices here. In the boonies people aren't afraid and even if they notice they do not care. In the cities most have no idea what a real gun looks like and can't believe anyone would carry one so they have no idea. At worst they'll think ya got some cellphone gadget attached to your belt.

Sweat is your worst enemy. Use a good in holster to protect your firearms and shirt long enough untucked to cover it. Use good sense like not bending over and exposing it and you will be fine.

Welcome to the southland. Ignore all the transplant poor manners and nasty attitudes and you'll find this is the best place to be......unless you can't stand heat..humidity....mosquitos...swamplands....and of course florida worst trait nasty mean and crazy transplants and retirees.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get yourself a bunch of Cuban style shirts with the flat bottoms and that don't tuck in and you'll have no problem. You'll blend in with everyone else.

As for people noticing, you'd be really surprised how few people notice open carried firearms and even fewer see a bulge and think gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts