Looking for an AK

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by smores, Jan 15, 2007.

Which one?

1. WASR-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SAM-7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SLR-106 FR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other (please give details!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smores

smores Guest

Ok, I've decided my next gun will be an AK variant, and I'm between 3 rifles right now. If anyone has reccomendations or any experience with these rifles please let me know what you think! If the SLR-106 I'm looking at is more accurate with the .223 over the 7.62, I'll most likely go with that, but please share your thoughts Smile

---------

[​IMG]

Romanian (Century) WASR-10 ($450): (yes I know there's a thread about this but I didn't want to threadjack!) - ugly as sin. It looks like they picked it up off a casualty from Iraq or something. Not the best finish, looks thrown together, wood looks like I carved it with the skill I had when I was making pine cars in cub scouts... It looks like the serial numbers look were applied by hand by someone who isn't familiar with the Arabic number system or the English alphabet, and they were probably inebriated. fire control group and trigger, heard of some trigger slap issues. Even with all that it's a reliable rifle for about $450 new (yes I know it's a lot but I live in MD..)

----------

[​IMG]

Arsenal SAM-7 Classic ($900-1100?) (if I can find one): I know it's going to cost a little more, but this is the "original" AK-47 design. Milled receiver, blond wood furniture, barrel nut (no brake). Would love to get my hands on one either solid stock or underfolder.

----------

[​IMG]

Arsenal SLR-106FR ($950): This is a nice piece. It's in .223, and looks like a direct copy of the Izhmash AK-101. I compared it side-by-side with the WASR-10 at the shop the other day. It reminded me of comparing my beat up '94 Civic with a giant rusty dent in the quarter panel next to a new '07 WRX STi. One looks like junk, the other looks refined and well made. Finish is top-notch (nice even black color, matching on all parts). Markings looked laser-etched or stamped and were clear and easy to read. The rifle felt rock solid, awesome trigger. Smooth bolt, not loose at all but not tight. I would probably replace the solid folding stock with the skeleton one, since I really like the look of the standard AK-74S. However I hear this one is pretty nice so I'll keep it so I can swap whenever I like.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The guys over at Sigforum have convinced me to go with the Armory SSR-85 over at Ordnance Outsellers. I got to handle one at the last gunshow and it was the cleanest AK I've ever seen. Price doesn't seem too bad, either. Do a search over there and you will find much praise.

If only that tax money would hurry... :D

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

if you want russian go for a saiga and have it converted better than a wasr10. it all comes down to how much you want and dont want to spend

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I got a WASR-10 2 years ago for $280 and have been happy with it.

5. infrangible

infrangible Guest

+1 for the Saiga. I have one in .223 that is awesome. easily as nice as some of the $600+ AKs out there. well actually I have two :)
    the all black one is mine. the one with the red bakelite grip and tapco folder is a conversion I did for a friend.
    [​IMG]

I had a WASR-10 for a while. Had a badly canted gasblock which would cause the gas piston to occasionally jam up(which wasn't to bad to fix, few taps with the deadblow got it straight). also had to grind out some of the magwell to get regular AK mags to fit. Also, The triggers that Century puts in them are terrible. Mine Trigger slapped bad, and I had to change out the trigger group.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

...we interrupt this thread for the following announcement....

I've been lookin' into an assault rifle for plinkin' around so this thread is of interest to me, as well. I hope you guys won't mind. <shrug> Does this sound like a good deal?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=64417570

[​IMG]

And, what could ya possibly do to make it the best it can be for only havin' $500 into it, if ya can get it for around $325-$350? Sorry for the 'jackin', but it was very convenient. PM me with any info. Thanx...and sorry Cold*. :oops:

Wulf

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled show....

7. infrangible

infrangible Guest

I'd suggest you check out the saiga-12.com forums and see all the cool conversions possible. and Wulf, I hope the info I sent you is helpful.

8. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Another vote here for the Saiga ... and convert it (maybe buy a Tromix conversion).

9. infrangible

infrangible Guest

I'll sell ya mine :) actually I'd rather trade it for a M-A1. I posted it in the for sale section if any lookers are interested. been meaning to do another conversion, just can't justify having more than one AK.

10. smores

smores Guest

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH dammit... my tax refund should be coming in any day now, and I'm torn over whether to buy the SLR-106 or an M40-A1. If my dealer can get me the liquidated price through CDNN for $300 or whatever, I'll go with the Steyr most likely.

I can't pass it up... the SLR-106 guns are limited production, but I think they'll still be around for at least a couple months. Stupid MD laws.... can only buy one "registered" gun every 30 days :roll:

11. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I'd say go with the Saiga.

Then hunt down a Galil magwell conversion (used to convert the .223 Galil version of the AK to use AR15 magazines).

Its my understanding that with a little work you can get the Galil conversion to work on a Saiga.

Of course you could just buy a converted Galil, but for what that would cost you could buy a case of Saigas.

12. smores

smores Guest

Ok, I was laying in bed last night, decided to check my account balance over the phone because I was bored. The refund had been deposited.

I purchased the last SLR-106FR my dealer had, and they said they're not getting anymore. I just had to have it. Now only 7 days until I can actually receive it and hit the range. There will definitely be a range report!

13. +1 for the SAIGA....best out there.

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

AK-47 used by our troops?

This is a bit off-topic, but not much. I read a post on one of the mil blogs on Friday (should have copied it but I didn't) that said one of the new wrinkles in the war in Iraq is our troops using a variant of the AK-47 as a sniper rifle.

The AK snipers are being instructed not to take head shots are they normally do, but go for heart shots instead. Idea is to kill the bad guys but also to sow doubt about just where and from whom the shot came.

When one of our guys blows a head off with a .223, .308 or even more spectacularly with a .50, there's no doubt whodunit. But when the wound is from a 7.62x39 and the shot has that distinctive AK sound, whodunit then?

To get back on topic, the post I read did not say which AK variant our troops are using as a sniper rifle. If you could find out which AK Uncle Sam is using, that would be a pretty good endorsement as to which is the best for sniping.

15. smores

smores Guest

Over on the AR15/AK47.net forums, there are a few posts about AK's being used over in Iraq. Apparently, mostly Bulgarian AK's are being issued to the Iraqi police force and military. Mainly the milled receiver 7.62x39 variant.

The RPK's have longer barrels (23") than standard AK's (standard about 18").

However, if they are using the Dragunov's I'd be very impressed. They use the even more powerful 7.62x54 rounds, and have a barrel length of about 24.4" (full size). They do have a shorter barreled version, but from what I hear these Dragunov's are very nice.

About my choice of AK variant, I went with .223 because I'm a huge fan of the AK-74S rifles. I'm an even bigger fan of the AKS-74U, but since it's an SBR I'm sure it's nearly (if not entirely) impossible to obtain in Maryland. Now the AK-74's are chambered in 5.45x39. That ammo is not the easiest to come by. The most reliable source of 5.45 ammo is Cheaper Than Dirt, and they don't ship ammo to my county. So I went with .223.

I will own a 7.62x39 AK at some point. I do like the Armory USA SSR-85's that Syntax360 linked. I'm not a fan of the Romanian WASR's since they just look too beat up for being new. I'm also looking heavily into getting a Mosin Nagant rifle at the next gun show :twisted: