Looking for a 1911 specialty forum for advice

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by ChillyWilly, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Just like the title says, do you guys have any suggestions? I need help in learning about 1911's so I can make an informed purchase.

Thanks

Jerry

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

This is my favorite place in the whole wide world M1911

And this is why RIA

Ivan and Ray from Armscor are the best there is :) They monitor the site and help or fix anything !!!!
    I went with the Tactical model for $425 never had a problem..

And Phil is the guy to buy from if you can't find one local..

Phil 615-860-4212

3. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

What is your intentions for the 1911 ? Target, protection, collection or competition? I have researched for quite some time. I priced and shot all that I could get my hands on. What are you willing to spend? I am not saying to spend too much money, because even the Taurus (yes Taurus) has been pretty dang good at some ranges. The Colt (the Grandfather) can be another good choice. There is another issue of what modifications, if any, would you be doing ?

Give me a PM and I will send you some information and see what pistols are great for your needs. I couldn't afford a STI at this moment in my life, I mean WIFE. But found a custom Para for a price I couldn't pass up. I ended up still paying alot of money (compared to the Steyr), but parts are VERY readilly available, and have a good pistol that will perform at regional shoots well.

Give me a PM and I will give you a call if needed. I also spent a few extra dollars for the Dillon reloader that will allow me to save the costs of store bought rounds after about fifty five years of shooting.

Instead of PM-ing me, send me an email to: [email protected] and I will return your email within a few hours, MX.

Take Care,
    MTS

4. heavymetalmachine

Just for the record Armsor makes some of the STI guns The Spartan

Also the Charles Daly stuff

All I'm saying is don't over look RIA because of the name!!

They make great entry level G.I. 45 and nickel plated .38 supers all the way up yo hand made match grade pistols for a lot less than anyone else..

Call Ivan or Ray and tell them what you are looking for they will help you out..Advanced Tactical Firearms

Good luck....

5. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

To be completely honest there are way too many choices and just as many opinions about them, so I am taking another approach to "what is the best 1911". I want to learn about all the different build options so that I can decide what I want and find the best price that provides what I am looking for. The problem is that I need help because I don't really know what there is. So here are the things I can think of I would appreciate any input you guys have in helping me make this a real learning experience. Oh yeah....only interested in 45acp

Frame: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=128370
    Frame Material: Titanium, Steel, Stainless Steel, Polymer, Carbon Steel or ???
    Slide:
    Slide Material:
    Sights: Night, standard or fiber optic
    Guide Rod: yes or none
    Barrel: Hardened, Bull Barrel or ???
    Barrel Length: 4", 4.25", 5", 6" or ???
    Feed Ramp: Part of Frame or Barrel or ???
    Trigger:
    Hammer: Spur or ???
    Grip: Bobtailed or ???
    Frontstrap: checkered, plain or ???
    Backstrap: checkered, plain or ???
    Magazine: Single or Double Stack or ???

Then once I work out the above I want to go into the advantages and disadvantages

p.s. thanks for the offer mid...may take you up on it later but I want to see if this idea works first.

6. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Chilly, the best advice is to try out the different options before buying.

The 1911 is the '57 Chevy of pistols.
    There is no right way, just your way.

HMM is right, go to a 1911 site and chat, see what you like.
    http://forum.m1911.org/ is a good site.
    http://forums.1911forum.com/ is a really good technical site, but the mods are Ban happy Nazis so watch it.

The only two bits of advice I'd give is to avoid the RIA. (sorry HMM)
    For just a little more you can get a Springfield.

And if you can, get a Colt. Every collection needs one.
    Current new roll marked Colt 1991s are gorgeous. Here's one :wink:

[​IMG]

7. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I agree, the Colt IS the original. You can build on it as you will. When I was doing my research, I went to places like Dawson Customs, etc. to research what pistol parts are available for what pistols.

MTS

8. heavymetalmachine

Material: It's up to you! Stainless will most likely out last the rest.

Sights: Look for the Novak dove tail. Popular and lots of options..

Guide Rod: yes or none Well you'll have to have one. G.I. is the simplest to install. I like the full length on my RIA. Yup RIA :wink: I will say I have had bad luck with two piece guide rods coming lose so I wont use them.

Barrel Length: 4", 4.25", 5", 6" or ??? Thats up to you but if you go .45 acp the shorter the more felt recoil..

Feed Ramp: Part of Frame or Barrel or ??? On this the original Colt set up is in the frame. Not a prob a little rub with some fine grit paper will fix you up.

Trigger: I like this one you can set the take up with the little ears.Fusion

Hammer: Spur or ??? This will depend on the type of grip safety you go with. I like the beaver tail so yes..

Grip: Bobtailed or ??? Up to you

Front strap: checkered, plain or ??? I like rubber finger grooves Pearce

Backstrap: checkered, plain or ??? I like the arched mainspring housing I found a rubber Pachmayr

Magazine: Single or Double Stack or ??? Double stack is WAAYYYYYY to big for my hands.

I Have to say to all those who say spend more for a name good luck.. RIA will fix anything in no time. Life time warranty. Springer G.I. $500 a RIA $350 thats more than a little to me. I never did try to price a COLT STI and so on with all the options I got for $425 I could send it out and have it nickle plated and still save a mint.

Anyway look into every company you can!!!!

Good luck....

9. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I'm with you 100% HMM, except I like the perdy wood grips.... :roll: ....I am looking at the Taurus PT1911 but I don't know how long it will take to get of the stupid california DOJ list (DAMN GunControlafornia). I have looked at RIA's but am not sure. I am kind of leaning towards a Para...I really like the hardcore extractor as well as the integral feedramp....

I checked out quite a few at the store today...the s&w trigger is crap...I hate the double stack paras....love the kimbers but they are cast, oh yeah and super model expensive....I have a couple of para ltc's coming, one in alloy one in steel so I can check them out...I also have a LDA para because I want to check that out too but I doubt I will get it because a da trigger on a 1911 is like a plastic frame on one....not okay, not...o-kay....

Any opinions on the alloy 1911's???

10. heavymetalmachine

LOL not ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for what it is made out of it is not as important as the warranty to me.. What I mean is if my cheap o Rock Island cracks the frame after 10,000 flawless rounds and they give me a new one and re tune the internals or if they send me a whole new gun I'm cool with that.

Stuff like crappy triggers and tuning extractors will happen. 1911's like to be tuned.

From all the time I have spent on M1911 it seems to me that there are more happy folks with cheap RIA'S than high end guns.

11. heavymetalmachine

The Colt is SWEET!!!!

So is this..
    [​IMG]

$389 at Sarco

Well you have to get the grips :roll:

12. heavymetalmachine

MTS

I'M a proud member over there as well :)

Just don't like RIA listed as other :lol: :lol:

Where did the post go????

Oh well over there

13. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Don't worry about today's high tech castings, they are actually stronger than forgings from the early/mid `90s on back.
    Yup, with todays metallurgy computer controlled, castings can be stronger than a forged WWII 1911.
    Which was literally checked by eye with a prism and spectrograph.
    RIA is sand cast, weaker than forging, but they have good QC (more computer help).

Kimber is the standard buy which all the "Band X" (not a Colt) 1911s are judged.
    The result is they are over priced for what you get, as you noticed.

Taurus had some problems with their frames and slides being out of spec, making fitting of after market parts difficult to impossible. They may have fixed it. If you really want one, be sure to buy a new one, not old stock.

Para LDA is not know for it's durability.
    All other Paras are hit or miss in the QC department.

Alloy VS Steel.
    Col. Cooper said it best. " Alloy for carry, Steel for Shooting ".
    Which do you plan to do the most with your 1911?

There are 4 major brands and two used 1911s I'd recommend in this order:
    Colt
    Dan Wesson (hard to find, quality is astounding)
    Springfield
    Kimber

I'd buy one of these used before most other stuff new.

Speaking of used:
    Argentine surplus 1911A1 ( Made on actual Colt tooling, getting scarce, but can still be had)
    Norinco (very hard to find these days thanks to billy boys executive order ban)

14. jetsiphon

jetsiphon New Member

1911s can be a lot of fun. They are super easy to carry and you can get a great, great trigger.

I have two, a Para Ordnance LTC and a Sistema Colt.

The Para Ord is a great gun, commander sized, alloy frame, power extractor and well built. I will be working on this as the next project, just fitting it to my taste.

[​IMG]

The Sistema though.....well, it's another animal. Originally from 1945, the original slide cracked and was replaced with a Colt slide. I'm just about finished with this project. Well, by me, I mean my 'smith, all I do is write checks for it. The out word appearance of the gun is Mil Spec. Nothing fancy at all, however, all the internals.....well....heh. Hand fit barrel, bushing, slide to frame fit hand lapped, slide to frame blend, ejection port lowering, Wilson Bulletproof internals, blah blah blah.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a good way to sink about $2,000.00 into a pistol. I did it because it was my Dad's. There are much better deals to have just to get into 1911's.

The STI Spartan is a super, super buy on the market right now. While there are a few MIM parts in the gun, the important parts are still STI tool steel parts. Don't be too afraid of the MIM parts, there are a WHOLE lot of guns out there that are completely MIM that people will argue aren't, like Kimber.

Go look and play. 1911's are as bad as AR's.....or well AK's in my eyes.

15. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Yeah based on what I have learned since this post I am looking at a CZ Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail....I am trying to stay away from cast and mim and this seems like the best balance of cost and forged steel...well steel and other features....

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Took an old rollmark Colt 1991-A1 I paid about $480 for in the the mid-'90s, added a Wilson ss target bushing, EGW ss enhanced slide stop, Wilson ss one-piece guide rod, and Wolff 32 lb. recoil spring, and Wilson 8-round mags. I now have a gun that can shoot everything from standard .45 ACP to 45 Super with no changes.