Longslide Compact

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mugdava, Dec 22, 2007.

1. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

Well, I'll let the pics speak for themselves. :roll:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What say You? Good, bad, or ugly! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

2. m00t

m00t New Member

That's exactly what I wanted to do to mine when I get an M-A1!

I like it... could we get a pic without the grip sock on?

...I'm also super jealous that you have a 357-A1 :shock:

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Thank You! Here's a pic w/o the hogue, w/ M6:
    [​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

4. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

:clap: Been wanting to make a CCO Steyr for a while.
    Keep chickening out, you've got guts. :notworthy:

How does it handle / balance compared to an S? M?

5. SharkNet

SharkNet Guest

Outstanding!

I'm also curious as to how you pulled it off, fit and finish, etc.

And now that you've started down that road, can you take the removed part of the handle and create some sort device that would allow good use of your full sized mags? A sort of collar or such that would rest at the base of the mag?

Any thoughts on adding another groove the accessory rail? If one were cut a little further back from the muzzle, an Insight X2 could be mounted so that the end of the light is flush with the end of the muzzle, creating a very attractive package. The only challenge to this would be the obliteration of the serial number. Thoughts, anyone? :think:

Congrats again!

6. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

MAN I LOVE IT :notworthy: :notworthy:

I would also love to see some detail pic's mag out...

Any chance you doing a tut you know a little how to for us wimps??????

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Very cool - this is definitely one of those things that everyone has been wanting to do but no one has had the guts to attempt. Great job mugdava! :clap:

8. NicoX

NicoX New Member

woww..
    u are using S mags? are U crazy?

you cut it ?!!?! :wall: :wall:

good work with big balls! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

very nice!!!!!!!!

:notworthy: :party: 8) :beer:

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

Thank You very much for the kind words!

The mag is a modified M series 10 rounder w/ the extra half inch of plastic removed from the base plate. My S mags should be here in a couple of days.

It still needs a little finishing, but once done I'll put some more pics up.

It still makes one tiny ragged hole w/ 10 rounds! 8) Also, it feels great in hand. :shock:

By changing frames/top ends and mag baseplates My M9-A1 can go short handled too!
    _______
    mugdava

11. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

12. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I've only put 50 rounds through it since doing the mod, but no real difference other than a 1/2 inch less on the bottom of the grip. The weight lost by removing that bit of material doesn't seem to change the balance. At first the grip felt a little weird, but it didn't take long at all to get used to.

I've never handled an S or S-A1, so I couldn't compare the two.
    _______
    mugdava

13. majette

majette Member

i had a notch cut in my ghost holster's rail by a local machine shop. hopefully the next M series will have multiple grooves:

[​IMG]

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Awesome! If Steyr doesn't announce the S357-A1 at the SHOT Show, can you convert my M357-A1? Looks like factory work to me. :mrgreen: :notworthy: :clap: :party:
    Have one on me, I'm buying. :beer:

15. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Please don't try this at home, but I used a hacksaw and Dremel w/ various fittings. If had enough patience I could have waited until after Christmas to have access to a complete machine shop, but I wanted to do it then and did.

Some six months ago or so Bigtaco and I had a text conversation regarding the removal of material from the lower grip/frame of a M-A1. He thought it would be very difficult to save that bit of polymer removed from the grip to use as a grip extension for a full size M mag. Well, He was right. It's damn near impossible to save that material, I tried!

IMHO,it's not doable, but I'll take another look.

Pics are coming soon. :wink:

Maybe not a tutorial because of my compromised method, but if I can find a cut-away drawing of the M-A1 series, I could illustrate where to make the cuts required

Hey Netfotoj! Thank You very much, but I'd be afraid to do someone else's pistol, what if I messed up! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

16. srfl

srfl Guest

Very nice work!

17. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I believe mugdava just solved the problems Steyr has been having with the S40-A1.

The factory should do this.

:clap:

18. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but it was Bigtaco that spawned the notion for me some time back. :wink:

Yep, I agree! It would give potential G19 buyers another option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

19. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

20. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Looks real good! It's very tempting and I think I did a pretty good job on the grip reduction of my Glock 23 so I'm sure I could do this without much trouble.

mugdava: Can you post a pic of you holding a non-modded one and a pic of the modded one so I can see how much of a difference it really makes?