Long time Glock owner, first time Steyr owner

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by pcauwels, Jul 15, 2007.

1. pcauwels

pcauwels New Member

Hey guys. I'm finally a Steyr owner!

I've had a strong interest in the M9 when it first came out back in '99.
    My local gun dealer bought some of the first of the M9 series and had some reliability issues with them. I was bummed as I loved the grip, the additional safeties, and the just the whole look and feel. I felt that the build was better then Glock and the trigger was awesome.

Still I didn't want to have a gun that I couldn't depend on so I continued to build up my Glock collection and have been generally satisfied.

About 2 months ago I stumbled across a post on GlockTalk on the Steyr and discovered a lot of love existed for it. Not only had the kinks been worked out but they had an updated model that looked even better then the M9 (in my opinion anyway). I started looking for a model on guntrader and scoured the local used gun shops but couldn't find at the price I wanted.

Another GlockTalk post pointed me to this forum where I learned that CDNN had bought up the remaining MA1 stock and was selling them for 350 bucks!

I got carried away with the salesman and ended up ordering 2 of the 9mm.
    They finally got in and I can't wait to take them to the range. The trigger is even better then I remembered it and the fit and finish is better then my Glocks. In fact, I would compare them to older SIG's in terms of build quality, fit and finish.

Anyway, I'm hoping to make it to the range this weekend with some of my high-end 1911 buddies. I'll let you know how it goes. After reading some of your posts, I've got some pretty high expectations.

2. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Welcome, Welcome...
    You will be pleased with your new 9mm's . The Steyr is a GREAT firearm.
    I just went to the range today and every time I go LOVE my m40-a1 more and more.
    I have had it since december 06 and it was my first handgun I have owned. I am SO glad
    I went for it over the Glock, mostly due to this site, I was on Glocktalk when I saw the word
    Steyr and had never heard of it so I had to check it out since I wanted to be sure I made the right
    choice and be an informed buyer. I took one look and was hooked and got to hold one at a gun show
    a few weeks later and that was it as they say. I was really leaning toward the a Glock but was never
    sure or felt easy about them. I know they are fine weapons but the Steyr just feels "RIGHT"!!!!
    Many happy rounds my new brother...

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Wow - 2? You definitely dived in head first! Congrats! I've been meaning to pick up my second M9A1 for awhile now, but finances are a killer. :cry: Let us know how it goes... 8)

4. Dag

Dag Guest

First Post

Hi pcauwels

One more "welcome to Steyr Club"! Lots of good stuff here, so enjoy!

Dag

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

about the glocks... you won't be needing them anymore. some sucker will take them off you hands, i'm sure.

enjoy!!

6. pcauwels

pcauwels New Member

Thanks!

What do you think the chances are that Steyr will extend the line to include .45 and 10mm? Those are the only two that I can't currently replace with Steyr that I currently have in Glock. One can always hope, but it seems doubtful. Especially since they seem to have a much stronger presence overseas where they love the 9mm and seem to have no use for the larger calibers.

Maybe their long awaited L series frame will accommodate the .45 and 10mm.

Once I get up to speed, I'm going to do a comparison between my g17 longslide and my Steyr 9mm in regards to precision shooting. I'm excited about what I'm reading on the site in regards to 25 and 50 meter groupings.

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

SAI in Georgia is pushing Austria to make the 45. We shall see.
    I've also owned numerous Glock pistols over the years. The Steyr is hands down my favorite polymer pistol. I only wish that Steyr would get some market penetration so that folks like Safariland will make some duty gear.

[​IMG]

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome to the Steyr pool! The water's fine and I'm sure you'll love getting your feet wet at the range.

+1 on the L45 and L10. Many Steyroids have been clamoring for those two. Maybe Austria is listening? :mrgreen:

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Welcome. Great buy on the 2 Steyrs.
    I was also a long time Glock CCWer (G19, 17L, 26, 21), but they have been replaced by my $300 M9 for the last 2 years or so.

10. pcauwels

pcauwels New Member

Thanks for the welcome.
    I can really see me dropping all my Glocks except for my G17l, G20, and G26. I didn't think the trigger would be soo much better then the stock glock. From what I've read, it only gets better as it's broken in. If things go well, I might see how hard it will be to pick up a s9 and then maybe drop my G26 as well...

Thanks again and I'll post my report once I get a chance to head to the range...

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I am also keeping my 17L and 19, but they are in my SHTF bags, not on my hip every day.