Local IPSC: Steyr M40A1 wins Production

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

This was my match that I run, which is small, usually around 20 shooters. I have been running high rd counts, and this was a 150 rd match, 5 stages. I had a few decent performances on the stages. I took 9th overall, we had several M or GM shooters there.

My Steyr was flawless for about 153 rds of my case gauged-reloads, as usual. Saw some other guns gag: Para double stack .45, also a 9m 1911 (ammo length), one guy broke a link on his open gun, another guy had a few probs with his Beretta 92 cycling.

There is a night match coming up this month, will take my Trij night-sighted M9A1 to that match.

Go Steyr!

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

Great job, dude!

And good effort you put out to run the match. I know they don't pay you much *wink wink* (FYI for those who do not know, the majority of match directors volunteer their time and physical energy to setup these matches and it's rough!)

I've seen Para's break, also. Extractor died, mag wouldn't seat, etc. The doublestacks.

How come you shot production? You're using a .40! I bet you would have done better in Limited. You won Production with a .40, that's a better effort, though! I'm looking to get a .40, also. Just to convert into .357SIG :)

Keep up the excellence!

btw good luck at the night match! I've used my Steyr to win mine on more than one occasion. I use the factory sights with a light attached to the rail. The Steyr is a joy to shoot once everything's fixed up right.

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The 12 rd mag capacity in M40A1 is too low to play in LTD, and the M&P mags I tried were never reliable with major .40 ammo. They ran fine with .40 minor. When I shoot major .40 from my M40A1, I shoot in L10.

I like shooting the .40 Lite more than 9mm in Production. I'm trying to make A class in Pro, then I'll switch to L10 or SS for a year. At least this match I shot an A class classifier; I had a bad run on classifiers for several months and slid from 74.09% down to ~68%.

Of course, I may get a 5" M&P .40 and start messing with LTD.

4. blueorison

blueorison Member

Now I got it!

Should have thought about the mag cap.

Btw, the quote in your sig... that's pretty funny. It's somewhat the other way around. IPSC shooters > all others on skill level alone. I was talking to the captain of a national squad and other GM's who were helping out with IDPA matches. He said that when they did divisions and rankings IPSC shooters that were ranked a B class or so were beating Master class IDPA shooters.

I shoot everything out there from Hipower CMP to IDPA, Steel, and IPSC. Even (boring) NRA stuff for collegiate. I've known the IDPA "defensive" or "tactical" crowd and the IPSC crowd. I can tell that poster for a fact that IPSC guys know the difference between soft cover and hard cover. And they can shoot "defensively" any freakin day. I know I do when I shoot IDPA, except that I don't reload while running back to cover, my back potentially facing a threat. I hit my reload in a second and kill that bad guy, then take the procedural with the IDPA SO yelling my ear.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

ATTABOY, Ben! :thumbsup:

Keep them Steyr wins agoin', Bro. :)

And hava great Holiday Season.

Wulf <-- listenin' ta 'is new Michael Buble Christmas CD

6. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Great news Ben!

On another note (pun intended) Wulf is going to be attracting every available stray female in his part of the woods - they love men with good taste. I suggest you set up a preliminary triage facility to keep undesirables away. I'll leave it to you to define undesirable...