Local IDPA: Steyr M40A1 takes 1st

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Shot a local IDPA, 22 shooters. I ran my M40A1 with .40 lite ammo and also ran my GP100. The Steyr took first, GP100 took 4th. The best part was...local top dog was there. He hasn't been shooting much lately, and I am closing in to his skill level, but it is still a fun benchmark for me.

One stage was 5 strings of Mozambique, at 2 yards to 4 yards, run for a par time of 1.5 seconds. So 1.5 seconds from start beep to stop beep. Draw and shoot 2 to the body 1 to the head starting from concealed. Only 3 guys got a clean string off in time and I was able to get one of those. It was a pretty tough standard for the new guys, even tho the target is quite close. Try it some time.

Shot ~100 case gauged rounds. Flawless performance from the Steyr.

Go Steyr!

http://www.eugenepracticalshooters.com/cms/idpa-scores/52-december-2010-idpa-match

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Go Ben! Steyr Rules!

3. dinhulks

dinhulks New Member

I've been practicing with my M40A1 for the forthcoming Black Badge this Saturday for IDPA/IPSC preparation.

Two things that bothers me on the M40A1 (i'm a lefty) are:
    1. The mag release is very small and short and hard to depress causing delay in the mag unloading time.
    2. The grip bottom/well on the M40A1 is very thin plastic. The mag is steel. I'm pretty sure it will wear out fast and gets dented and all that because of this.

I hope Steyr will improve on these issues i have.
    1. Make after market extended mag release buttons. Also make it ambi.
    2. Make that grip bottom thick and make after market magwell so the grip but does not get mangled.

Cheers!

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

1. I agree
    2. I do NOT agree

1. I agree
    2. I think you are asking for a solution to a problem that you are "pretty sure" will happen, but that my 4 years of comp shooting with Steyrs does not support.

5. dinhulks

dinhulks New Member

It gives me comfort if they will withstand the mag banging i'm going to make during my test.
    However, i am curious why they made this part of the grip so thin it is pliable if you try to squish the sides with your fingers!
    It also kind of loosen my grip on the bottom part of the grip.