Loaded magazine

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by crashy, Oct 12, 2007.

1. crashy

crashy New Member

Hi Everyone,

Can I store a fully loaded magazine (not in the pistol) without worrying about the magazine being deformed. I've read elsewhere that sometimes the top metal "lips" can be bent because of prolonged pressure from the spring.

Regards,
    Crashy

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've never heard of this being an issue with our pistols. Most of my mags are kept fully loaded - I haven't had any troubles.

3. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I did read an article once discussing Glock magazines. It mentioned that by "downloading" the magazines by 2 rounds (15 vs 17rds in a Glock 17) you could quadruple the life of the magazine springs.

I adopted this practice years ago, and my 15 year old Glock 17's original magazines are still running fine. They have never been rebuilt---they have never even been disassembled! I do the same with my Steyr; I only load 12 rounds in 2 magazines, and I have a third that is left empty and rotated with the others once a month.

FWIW.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Just FYI - science says that leaving the spring compressed does nothing to impact life of the spring (you don't jack ur car up at night to relieve pressure on the springs, do you?). Rather, the repeated re-compression is what causes eventual failure. However, my own personal experience seems contrary (at least in my HK, but those mags suck anyway). A lot of folks favor leaving mags loaded/unloaded for a month or six months or whatever. My only real advice on this one is to try out various methods and see what works best for you.

5. crashy

crashy New Member

I actually wasn't worried as much about the spring as the top part that holds the bullets in the magazine. I'm not sure what it is called. I thought I read that under the constant pressure from the spring they could deform upwards and cause problems with the operation of the pistol.

But, it sounds like it's ok. I'll probably do the "downloading" just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the replies.

Regards,
    Crashy

6. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I believe it is called the follower :wink: .....

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You won't have any trouble with the follower :lol:. The closest thing I could associate with what you're talking about is when the feed lips of USGI 20 round AR mags (and others) get physically bent or crack from being under constant pressure. This should not be a problem for your Steyr...

8. crashy

crashy New Member

Hi Syntax,

I guess that's where I read about loaded magazines having a problem. Thanks for the clarification. Right now, I have one loaded to 14.

Thanks for the replies.

Crashy