Lining up the front sight

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by fossten, Mar 26, 2007.

1. fossten

fossten Guest

I went out the very first time with my M9-A1 and shot some pretty tight groups. I couldn't be more thrilled with this gun, it's excellent. Nice light trigger pull, not too much recoil, just fits in my hand.

I have an observation and a question.

I noticed right away that my first few shots were going high. I aimed lower and started bullseye-ing the target. My suspicion is that I was putting the white triangle in a position so that it actually filled the trapezoid. My eyes naturally did this, but when I look at the sight in that position, the point of the triangle is slightly above the top edge of the rear sight, which would explain why my shots were going high.

So I'm reading a tip I received from the owner of the firearm training company called FrontSight, and he says you should black out the white part of the front sight because it causes you to aim high by distracting your eyes. This makes sense to me, and I suspect this is why my shots were going high, but I am hesitating to deface my brand spanking new gun-toy until I am sure this is wise.

What do you guys think?

2. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

3. Modgod

Modgod Guest

Howdy Steyr-ites!
    Why not use a dry erase marker to cover the white front sight? You can always remove it with some H20 or alcohol (on the gun not in the operator). Red might tone it down enough yet still contrast a target.

I have no problem shooting high with my M357 perhaps because of 26 years of mil training. I love the sight picture but it does take some getting used to. No jams, hiccups, just sweet feedback and decent groups so far although ammo is slightly higher and somewhat scarce in .357-Sig. Guess I could always drop in the .40 barrel and use the same mags.

Although obsolete in the eyes of hi-techies that want the latest craze, the retired M series seems to fit my hand better as a natural finger pointing extension giving it a built in appendage mentally. The new M*-A1 fits OK but I like the old 3-safety config better and dislike the new cutout. Had I never held the M, the A1 might have been my choice. Both are much more comfy than my original Glock 17 that felt like a bar of soap never soft enough to conform. Glocks were in my hand, the M357 becomes part of my hand instantly. Ergonomics should play a bigger role in weapons design IMHO and should override looks (think squished clay turned into a grip). I don't understand why Steyr pistols aren't nearly as popular as Glock. Obviously the masses like mainstream utility and that millions have been sold moreso than stylish practicality. Both were built by my Austrian ancestors.

Although still a new Steyr owner, I've had Glock, Ruger, Berretta, S&W, Springfield, this one impressed me the most...

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

....happens ALL the time....

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

5. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry New Member

Glock Success

It is my opinion that the MA1 is superior to the Glock, so why the Glock success? Marketing.

Glock, I believe, was the first pistol to use polymer(plastic), in the construction of a handgun. Great idea, but they must have been very concerned on how to sell the concept of a plastic pistol. They did a lot of torture testing, and jumped through hoops to get trials and qualifications. They did all the right stuff to market a new (foreign) concept, and they were successful, and they kept at it for a long time.

They are now the Jello, Kleenex, or BM of polymer pistols, and paved the way for all the johnny-come-latelys. Everybody else will just get a small slice of the pie. Its a shame that Steyr hasn't done more positive marketing to volume markets worldwide. The MA1 is a great design but it hasn't been marketed well.

No matter how good the product, it has to be marketed well, else it will not be successful. And this from the brain of an engineer... go figger!

6. IlovemyM9

IlovemyM9 New Member

7. Angel

Angel Guest

Re: Glock Success

Yeah, as an owner of an M1A that had to be fixed twice by SAI, I call BS on this. The fact is that the Glocks are dead reliable and simple. That is why they are as successful as they are.

There are cases where a better marketed product beats out a better engineered one (Windows vs Macs , anyone?) but the fact is that the engineering of the Glocks are nothing to sneeze at.

Consider this, if the Steyr is not cleaned and lubed properly or if doesn't like a certain type of round, it will produce an FTE or the slide won't lock into place completely. I know several people who hardly ever clean or lube their Glocks with ZERO failures of any kind.

IMHO, Steyrs are better guns in terms of ergonomics and accuracy but when it comes to reliability they are way behind Glock. Having said that I still pick Steyr over Glocks but that doesn't mean my M1A is there to stay for good.

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i know that this turns into the ford/chevy debate, but....

i have seen numerous glocks malfunction. i've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through mine without issue.

as far as cleaning and lubing, i did my own little torture test and went about 1,000 rounds over the course of a month of ipsc without cleaning or lubing or wiping down or anything to the weapon. no problem. that was good enough for me. if i find myself in some weird civil war type combat situation, the odds that i would fire 1,000 rounds before i had a chance to clean it are miniscule.

the only lube problem that causes a malf. is if someone applies WAAAAAY too much lube to the firing pin. this can cause a hydro-lock producing light primer strikes. most casual users never even remove the firing pin making it a none issue to them. the few that have this issue have it once, post their problem on this site, are made aware of the problem and the solution (remove all lube with a clean patch, leaving just a film) and never experience this trouble again.

i have an excellent theory on how to correct this hydro-lock, but until i can aquire sufficient firing pins for testing, i won't be able to pursue this.

my mom, and sister, and grandma, and my non-gun shooting buddies all know what a glock is. guys that are shooting ipsc/idpa, who own numerous guns, and frequent gun stores and ranges have never seen or heard of steyr pistols.

marketing? or lack thereof? i believe so.

9. Angel

Angel Guest

Maybe it is a ford/chevy debate.

My point is I have known 2 people including myself who owned Steyrs and we both had similar, multiple issues. Yet, I know many people who own Glocks and I never heard of a non-user caused issue with them.

I believe that Glocks reputation is a direct result of their almost absurd reliability.

I do understand however that this is a Steyr board and I am trying to be objective about the whole deal.

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I don't own a Glock, but might if I didn't have a Stey, nothing against them, just prefer the ergonomics of Steyr. I have seen a few Glocks bind up in IDPA matches, probably from reloads. Probably can't blame the gun for relaods, but you can't praise it either.

My brother-in-law is an LEO, and he "shot" a guy who was chasing his wife with a knife, using his department-issued .40 Glock. Except, it just went "click". Racked it, round flew out, chambered the next. Knife-guy realized the sudden gravity of the situation and discontinued his idiocy. Happy news, no one got hurt. The primer was undented, and the gun goes back to Glock, checks out clean, they send him a new one anyway. I have no idea what the deal is. My bro-in-law is a reasonable, squared-away guy, but I wasn't there to see it, so.....

My Steyr M40 was flawless from first 2,000 rounds, but then started to stop up on me a bunch and once quite badly, all after shooting a bunch of Wolf. It took a while to figure out that this was the underlying problem. I did the extractor spring addition, and switched ammo back and forth, but what made the difference was polishing (whatever the Wolf left behind) out from the chamber, and not a hitch since....or before the Wolf, for that matter.

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i too know of a cop who's glock failed to fire, then jammed.... during a tap-rack-bang!!!... while the perp was shooting at him. ended up taking two rounds in his vest before he tasered the guy who was charging towards him.

no word on cause, just know it happened.

also saw a guy disassemble a glock by pounding it into the pavement. incredibly did NO damage to the gun, but it was hard jammed to the hilt.

all mechanical devices fail. even natural devices like human organs fail. nothing is ever 100%, but i feel warm and fuzzy about the steyr.

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"My suspicion is that I was putting the white triangle in a position so that it actually filled the trapezoid"

Same with me when I first started. Easy fix as you discovered.