liabilty or safety concern

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

in the Steyr manual it says not to carry the pistol "condition one" -- one in a chamber.

is this just a liabity thing or do they think it's not safe to carry?

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Liability I presume. If it is referring to models with a safety, maybe they are trying to encourage use of the safety. :?

3. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

Product liability....plantiff attorneys....frivilous lawsuits....pond scum....etc.

As safe to carry with one in the tube as any other handgun.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I dont have the new manual. sure it says carry the pistol or store?

5. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

Liberals and Idiots?

I don't think any firearms manufacturer recommends, for liability concerns, carrying with one in the chamber.

6. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

Typical legal gibberish to minimize product liability...

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Sure, we Civilians aren't capable of safe carry, wait a minute, let me load one in the chamber before you mug me........... 8-O

8. alagator

alagator New Member

Sure, it is from the legal dept., but it would be unnecessary if our court system was comprised of honorable, informed, intelligent people. Last time I was on jury duty, the jury pool was entertained by a wide-screen TV showing those daytime talk shows where the host acts as referee to a bunch of brawling mutants. Turns out, it could have been a training film for the jury I was on. All it takes is for one idiot to harm himself or others, and these guys are looking for someone with deep pockets to take all the responsibility.
    Isn't that pistol dangerous? Yes, thats why I bought it.

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I do wish that Steyr would offer the manual safety as an option on the new MA1s. As far as safeties go it's about the best that I've seen and should be an option. It's another feature that sets it above the Glock.

Buzz

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I thought it was an option! I was specific when ordering my M357, that it not be equiped w/ a manual safety. I'm not overly found of the trigger block, but then again none of my pistols have any safety, other than that required by California law. Although, I love the M-A1's lock-out feature for pistol storage.

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

My understanding is that some MA1s with the manual safety came into the US early on and that for all after that it would not be an option.

Buzz

12. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I'm glad mine doesn't have safety that was on the older M models, but I would like to see some sort of firing pin satety...

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

i believe it was the ministerofdeath or Mr A that did research on firing pin/detonation and found it was very difficult to ignite the primer with Steyr's pre-cocked firing pin...................... I wouldn't worry about it.....you can find that posting in the forums section somewhere.........its excellent............. 8)

14. ScottW

ScottW Guest

Most gun manuals also tell you to take it to a gunsmith for anything more involved than the most basic field stripping. Their way of encouraging people to not dick around inside their guns, also a CYA thing.

When I carry my M9, it's chambered and the manual safety is on.

15. revjen45

revjen45 Member

I find the manual safety to be difficult to disengage. I just carry in cond zero and keep my finger off'n the trigger until it's time to shoot.

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"When I carry my M9, it's chambered and the manual safety is on."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    +1