level 3 security holster for m9a1?

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by james, Jun 24, 2012.

1. james

james New Member

Hi, Im waiting on getting my licence through for my m9a1, but thought i would get on the search for a holster for it now. What i would like would be a polymer (kydex?) holster for it with a push button to release the pistol from the holster, i think this is known as level 3, but correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm reasonably new to modern holsters, i just have a nylon one for my browning hi power, but want something more up to date for the steyr.

All help is appreciated, including websites where it could be sourced from and shipped internationally as i live in the UK.
    Thanks

2. Talyn

Talyn New Member

3. james

james New Member

Would you be able to reccomend a good kydex holster for it talyn? thanks

4. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I think there are some others I just seen posted here recently, but blade tech is the only one I remember. Unless you make your own.

the security from the serpa holsters is just un-necessary IMHO. A good kydex holster will allow you to not loose your fire arm, be safe and still have a quick draw with training. All without the issue of messing with a locking paddle.

I've seen the blade tech with a flip over safety strap as well.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Blade-Tech is the way to go. Forum user amybullock13 is the lady to talk to about a Steyr or Caracal rig.

And Talyn is spot on about the Serpa system. Spend some time searching and you will find a litany of very good reasons to avoid that setup (which isn't an option with Steyr anyway).

6. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I really question why police officers use them in all honesty.

I could probably draw from a duffel bag faster than they could get that thing out.

7. BladeTech

BladeTech New Member

Hi James,

It sounds like you need a level 2 retention, not 3. Levels of retention are based on how many steps it takes to remove the gun from the holster and/or the number of locking devices you have to disengage. A level 1 in kydex is generally when the gun clicks into the holster and locks into place. Level 2 can vary from systems like the Blackhawk Serpa, the 5.11 ThumbDrive, or our WRS & Thumbreak holsters. They are all level 2, they just have different means to disengage the gun.

Let me know if this helps clear things a bit for you.

Talyn- I ask myself that same question often. ;)

AB

8. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Thanks Amy.

I actually know the answer, but it's not appropriate.

9. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Actually, they have retention systems to avoid BGs grabbing the guns during close interaction. There are some scary videos of struggles where the BG is trying to grab the weapon out of the holster.

When we get secure enough to use electronic firearm activation, then only the hands of the owner will activate the weapon. That's just a little while off in the future...try "Weaponshops of Isher" by A. E. van Vogt. Also many of the books by L. Neil Smith.

10. DireSteyr

DireSteyr New Member

I know that this is an older thread but if you still need a level two holster I know that the Blackhawk omnivore works. It's a little bulky but it does fit a steyr. Also, you can get a version of it that is compatible with a x300 or streamlight lights. Hope this helps

11. Akis

Akis New Member

Are you sure omnivore fits? Because it's not listed

12. Akis

Akis New Member

Do you have a level 2 for the m9?