Steyr Club Forums banner

laser aiming training equipment like Laser Lyte or something else

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  xthexheadx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello from Europe to all Steyroids!

It went harder and harder to get .357SIG ammo for a fair price in Germany. Also here are not much shooting ranges you can enter easily. So I am looking for a laser aiming and trigger training equipment for my M357-A1 and M40-A1.
Saw one of these kind (Laser Lyte Pistol Laser and Laser Lyte Laser Trainer) just the first time on US Amazon site (amazon.com).

Does anyone still use this kit?
Does it work well?
Are their other comparable products you can recommend?

Thanx a lot for your feedback!
Thomas

#2 ·
Welcome to the SteyrCLub!

Based on the Amazon reviews, I'd say it would be about 50/50 that you'd be happy with it. I personally wouldn't spend $80 for it. I got burnt on a .40 bore siter which wouldn't align with the bore on my M40-A1. It was off 20 cm in 5m. It only cost $29 and had a brass case. I'm now using it as a drilling setup guide for my drill press.

#3 ·
Welcome to the SteyrCLub!

Based on the Amazon reviews, I'd say it would be about 50/50 that you'd be happy with it. I personally wouldn't spend $80 for it. I got burnt on a .40 bore siter which wouldn't align with the bore on my M40-A1. It was off 20 cm in 5m. It only cost $29 and had a brass case. I'm now using it as a drilling setup guide for my drill press.

Uuups ETH77, 20 cm aberration on a 5 meter target distance would be a lot.

An other laser ammo / laser target system is built by SureStrike. Seems this SureStrike system also runs with 12 gage and maybe also with 8x57IS (7,92 Mauser).

Anyway accuracy should be in a range that makes training with this equipment also a good target training. And therefore I am still looking too, because enought life fire training is to difficult under present conditions here.

Please what is a "drilling setup guide"?

Thanx ETH77

#4 ·
The problem with the laser is that it's too long to fit into the mag and get picked up and fed properly into the chamber. You must put it into the extractor, and then release the slide to get it into the chamber - it doesn't fit quite tightly enough.

I chuck the laser in my drilling chuck and it points directly at the center of the part. I know this works, because I can remove the laser and put in a center punch and they point to the same point. Big difference between grabbing it on the sides with a precision chuck, and having a single point holding it on the slide.

#5 ·
I believe the kind of laser ammo built for target training I am asking for (propably not that China gadgets built for a sorte of sight "adjustment") will be placed constantly in the chamber in a way the extractor cant pull it out while you recoocking (?right word?) the slide in a M-A1 or in a Glock.

The point of interest #1 is, are this adjustments stable on the real point of impact which will be marked than by the laser flash?
POI #2 is, which laser aiming ammo ist not only on the point of impact and is also a durable product?
Key question is, can you adjust the laser aiming part well in a Steyr M-A1 ?

As you told the laser points is over a longer distance on the exact drill point of impact (?right word?) the laser adjustment in the ammo should be well done. But if the ammo fits not good in the pistol chamber whole thing could not work well.

Do you own SureStrike or a LaserLyte or an other laser aiming ammo?

#6 ·
Last.... i use one of the laserlyte ones when i teach concealed carry classes here in Kentucky. had it over a year and it's great. safe way to practice drawing from a holster to shoot and still see where you would hit. so long as you follow the instructions about storage to save battery life. it's well worth it.

#7 ·
Thanx xthexheadx! On Friday we meet the first time a new pistol trainer at shooting cinema Fulda (the kind of cinema where you can do life fire on the big screen while your hits will be indicated in real time by a red point in the movie scene). This pistol trainer is the first person I meet in Germany who knows this laser training ammo. Laserlyte is in use for round about two years for his indoor home training. He is satisfied with Laser Lyte but doesnt know Sure Strike.
Can you tell me please how laserlyte works in bright natural light? In which surroundings do you use laselyte please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.