L9A1 ejects into my face

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Jarvy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jarvy

Jarvy New Member

[​IMG]
    For the most part the brass skims just over the top of my head, but sometimes... it doesn`t. The picture above is from my L9A1 ejecting spent brass directly back at my face; this particular little bugger landed directly between my temple and the arm of my eyepro and happily sat there until I ripped it out.

My round count is at 600 now, and I still have brass bouncing off the lenses of my eyepro. Which is too bad, because I am in love with the handgun otherwise. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

might want to lookup the 1911 plunger spring mod that may help it.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

One would think that after more than a decade and multiple new iterations of their pistol, Steyr could get it together with the extractor. :cuss:

4. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

No, mine have all ejected just fine. The only hits I've had is due to some bouncing off the boundary wall immediately next to my right side at the indoor range.

5. AGoyette

AGoyette New Member

I have tried the 1911 plunger spring trick on my M9-A1 because it too shoots the brass either straight back or to the left. The plunger spring did nothing to help and I think actually made it worse. It seemed like the brass hit our left arms more with the added spring in than it does with out the 1911 spring.

6. photog22740

photog22740 Member

7. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

i tried three different types of ammo...all did the same thing.

8. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

Update: The first 100 rounds or so ejected just fine. This weekend, using a different ammo, my L9-A1 started ejecting straight back. It wasn't as much a problem for me with longer arms, but my daughter kept getting hot cases down here blouse burning her lady parts. I plan to take it back to the range this week with higher quality ammo and different bullet weights to see if it makes any difference. The ejector problems have been known for at least 5 years. Certainly Steyr has figured this out by now!

9. BogdanS

BogdanS New Member

I have over 1000 rounds trough mine and yes,about 10 or 15 brasses landed on my hat. But that was cheep ammo ZVS from Slovakia. I think the ejector "bites" in a diffrent angle that ditch from the brass...maybe...

10. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 Member

Are you sure the casings have not bounced off of something, like the partitions at the range? I have had a few hot ones dropped in my shirt pocket and even in my safety glasses, all from bounces at indoor ranges. If I remember right I have had this happen while shooting a SIG, a CZ and a 1911.

11. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

The casings are not moving at light speed. Yes, we can see the trajectories. In my last trip the range I noticed they were all over the spectrum. Left, right, straight back. Made no difference changing brand of ammo.

12. Branth

Branth New Member

I believe the extractor of the Steyr is very sensitive to the thickness of the rim on the cases. I've noticed that my snap caps and some of my ammo is not held securely - If a round is extracted with no magazine in the gun, they fall right down the magwell. On the other hand, my Speer Gold Dot ammo is held in place securely until it reaches the ejector. Close inspection reveals that the Gold Dot has a thicker case rim, and the snap caps have a particularly thin rim.

13. feedrate

feedrate New Member

Hi there, was out at the club just after I read this thread and paid attention to where the brass flew and was amazed that it wasn't the same ejection all the time. It was in my opinion a little weak (compared to my old CZ 75) and it went up, right and sometimes a little left

14. aceontheline

aceontheline New Member

I bought the L9 from Buds in December of 2016. It fails to extract at least 50% of the time and ejection is totally random. Very disappointed. I'm here reading now trying to find the fix. Errrr

15. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

First off talk to Steyr-USA. They will make it right. My L9 does not like "cost sensitive" ammo. Perfecta, Fiocchi, Remington, Aguila 115gr are known offenders to me. What happens when you run a box of 124gr through it?

b_minus likes this.
  16. aceontheline

aceontheline New Member

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I've run several brands and weights from cheap to very high quality and even premium ammo like Speer in 124 grain is not reliable. This kills it for me. I have to trust my weapon. I will contact Steyr.

17. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Agree, Speer or any 124gr should be flawless. I only have trouble with the underpowered 115gr myself.