L40 to L357 Sig???

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by GLW, Feb 13, 2015.

1. GLW

GLW Member

could a guy purchase a L40 and a L9 barrel THEN run a 357 sig reamer into the 9 barrel to own a L-357 Sig?

Would the 357 sig reamer clean up the 9 chamber??

Recoil spring from the L40 work?

I'd sure like to do one...

And it would be even more awesome if it had a 22 TCM barrel

2. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

You might want to call up Steyr and verify that the 9mm and the 357 have the same rate of twist, too.

3. GLW

GLW Member

Good point, a quick search and it does look like the Sig uses a different twist. I appreciate it! I'll continue to learn more about this. Off the top of my head I epukd think as long as a guy stayed with lighter 9mm bullets (115 gr) thst onemdy be ok??? Just s thought anyhow?

4. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

It might, but you'd be gambling for a limited result at best.

I don't mean to be a downer, I would really like an L357 myself.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

i would wonder if that would compromise the integrity of the chamber?

6. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

I'm not an engineer, but the barrel hoods on the Ms look like they're the same size to me. Remember, the M was designed as a .40 from the get-go.

7. GLW

GLW Member

I also have concerns about getting a magazine to function. But it never hurts to dream. While the Sig and 22 TCM may not be popular I would purchase one of each if they became available in a "L"....

8. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

You should be OK for mags. As I understand it, the Ls use the same mags as the Ms. I can tell you from experience that mags for the M40A1 work just dandy in an M357A1.

A 22TCM might be scary fun, but I'm slowly developing the impression that the cartridge might be at it's best with a 6" barrel. If nothing else, the 5" 1911s seem to develop an awful lot of flash and blast.

9. GLW

GLW Member

I didn't know for sure but say I buy am L9 and had it rechambered to a 357 sig if the 40/357 mag would fit and feed correctly from the 9?

I know where I can get a L for $420 plus shipping. Tempting

Agree the TCM has a fireball from my 5" barrel. Mine is out right now getting all dolled up but when I get it back I have plans to try faster powder like Power Pistol to see if it makes much difference and even some not as fast like Ramshot Enforcer.

10. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

I've held off on answering your question in hopes that someone with direct experience would chime in and give you a definitive answer. I've consistently heard/read that M magazines and L magazines are exactly the same thing. Just to be safe, though, give Steyr USA a call.

11. fiveman

fiveman New Member

It is a shame that Steyr has given up on the 357 Sig. I am hoping that aftermarket barrels become available. What drives me mad is that everything I dream of doing with a Steyr, I can do with a Glock but the barrel axis and the sights on the Steyr are much closer to my personal preference. IGB seems to be a possible source but they have never replied to any query I have sent them.

12. GLW

GLW Member

I'd like to have a L but just haven't got exited enough to get one yet... The 357 Sig would though and I'm not sure why?

Other than that, for me the factory Steyrs are pretty sweet the way they come. And thankful I have what I have!