Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I had the option to try my L40-A1 today with an IGB Austria 357SIG conversion barrel. I used factory S&B .357SIG TFMJ 140grs nontox ammunition and it was an eye catcher. The staff at the Steyr Mannlicher shooting range here next to Wr. Neustadt came inside when they heard the unusual loud bangs from the pistol range. And then they saw the fireballs. They said they hear and see .357 SIG seldom, and then in a Steyr pistol even less often.

The kick is definitely there and muzzle rise is more pronounced. I usually use S&B .40 S&W ammunition and the L40-A1 then doesnt kick as much. Many of us know how soft the L9 shoots, how little it rises and that it is back on target really fast. The 357 is very much different, if you dont focus and keep your grip on it you end up with a gun pointing up.

One problem I encountered was to hand load the .40 magazin! I could only put 3 or 4 rounds of 357 ammo inside! I had no tools or 40 ammo with me at the range and the lighting was less-than-optimal so I couldnt really check onsite. Now back at home I checked the magazine, took it apart, cleaned it inside with a tooth brush, and put it back together. There is no problem hand loading 12 40 rounds in there, but with the 357 it is next to impossible. The top left and right lips of the magazin, that hold the topmost cartridge centered, are as long as a 357 case is, to the point where it begins to neck down. So, what happens is when you stuff in one or two cartridges, the spring will already be so strong that when you press the cartrige down with your thumb and insert the next one you will end up pushing with the rim against the neck of the cartridge inside. And it is very hard to overcome this neck while pushing down and inside, against the increasing spring force. Long text short: come with an Uplula loader and you will be safe and fine!

As for ejection problems there were none ;-) The spent cases flew nicely to the right side, and with such force, that they ricocheted from the wall, onto the back window, and elsewhere. I heard them pling plong jumping around, in the relatively small pistol range area.

Unfortunately I have no access yet to a bench so I cant say much about the accuracy other than it looks like my 40er results at 12,5 meters - given that I dont do double-taps.

Next thing will be to take the 3 dots sights off the L40 slide and put on another set of Truglos, like I got on my L9-side (and being very happy and more accurate with it). And getting some bench-equipment, to fine tune the Truglos, and check how the 357 SIG IGB Austria barrel is doing.

Regards

PS: Unfortunately my smartphone camera doesnt really pick up the stamping of the 357 SIG barrel, so I got no photos yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a M357A1 and I agree with you on the recoil being substantial. I didn't seem to notice with the M9A1 I used to own but with my high thumb grip, the hump on the back of the grip is thrust into my palm with such force that it is quite uncomfortable. If it wasn't for the sizable stock pile of 357sig ammo I have I would skip the Steyr in this caliber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts