Kydex IWB

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by luvmy40, Jul 21, 2007.

1. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Here are some pics of a new IWB holster that I made for my M9A1. It is a copy/variation of one that I have seen online somewhere. Possibly Blade Tech? I'm not sure, but it is definitely not my original design.
    The cant' is adjustable from straight(90deg) to two different angles. The least extreme angle is pictured. In the straight configuration, the height can adjusted to two positions. Retention is by friction and is adjustable via the belt clip mounting screws.
    One of these days I'm going to remember to take some pics during the process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Nice! Is that the only clip holding it on??

3. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Yes, only one clip.
    I made a variation of the C.T.A.C. for my M&P40c and had problems with loop spacing on several pairs of pants. I wanted to try a single point anchor and this style looked like good starting point. It is still tuckable although I rarely need that option. The alternatives with the clip as apart of the holster body would not be tuckable.
    So far this seems pretty secure and stable. It does lift a little on the draw but not enough to be an issue or slow the draw. I have yet to use it all day with a loaded mag. I haven't put enough rounds through the M9 to feel confident carrying it yet.

BTW it is very comfortable and the full size grip does not print as much as I thought it would.

4. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

nice. If you really want to go tuckable, J-Clips on the CTAC arent too hard to replicate. Might wanna try a couple :wink:

I havent tried tucking my crossbreed clone, I think my next holster is gonna be a high-thigh for hunting. Or an outside hip, I havent decided if I need to drop it.

5. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

I wanted to use the standard clip with this one since there is only one and I won't likely need to tuck it.
    I made some Hybrid C/J clips for my Cochise. They wrap just slightly over the top of the belt and lip under without wrapping. They support well and virtually disappear. I only use them when I need to tuck as they don't stay in place well if you have to use the bathroom. I tried J clips first and didn't like the support.
    I can't post pictures from here but I'll get one up later.

What part of Colorado are you from? I was stationed @ Fort Carson In '85 and lived in Manitou Springs.

[​IMG]

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i tried tucking my c-tac. i felt like these two huge clips hanging out would be a dead give away.

nope. no one noticed, no one looked, nothing.

i think that most people walk around oblivious to concealed carry laws and it just never registers that someone close by is carrying.

then again, maybe people think the clips hold up a colostomy bag and don't want to be rude by asking. :lol:

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I could throw a rock into Fort Carson. Im pretty much at the corner of Powers and Fountain. So Im in between Peterson and Carson. Finally some Right Wings :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the J-Clips, I formed mine with the belt I wear, so they hold very tight. I formed each one about 4 times, trying to get it to hold just right. But if I got a new belt I would prolly need new clips. I dont think they would work as well unless they were custom to the belt. I like the overhang top part on yours luvmym40, but I didnt have the rivets :?

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I was "made", or at least questioned, about the clip on my CompTac Shirt Tucker. Sent it back the next day. 6 months later I bought a CTAC with V-clips, and I wear it daily under a dresss shirt, invisble. Buit some days that kydex holster is a miserable mo-fo to wear. Other days it's just fine.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Who made and questioned you?

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

A physician associate. Observant guy, but I think the operant factor was that he is attuned to the latest gadget. He kind of tapped on the clip, then said he wondered what the clip on my belt was that had nothing on it. I told him it was for a phone, diverted my attention away, and excused myself.

But I lied to him, and I don't like being in that position of either lying or doing an explanation in a poor environment to a guy who may or may not know when to leave things alone, on a topic that I don't generally discuss.

11. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

So what you are saying is, He was close enough to tap on the clip and still didn't realize you had a gun stuck under there? Sounds like the holster was doing it's job to me. :wink:

Still, I understand your point. I have a Blade-Tech UCH with a s-clip and the day someone does that to me I'm breaking out the dremmel and turning it into a j-clip.

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

What I know is that he didn't say, "Hey is that a gun?". I don't know if he thought so, or if he had no idea. With the V-clips, it's a moot issue.

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Don't feel bad; its your business not anybody else's.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

SD,
    I agree, it is my business, and I don't go about preaching the merits of CHL. When I am among friends from the range or immediate family, I'll discuss it if they want to, and I will discuss the firearm competitions that I do with some folks, but I never volunteer that I carry to anyone other than forum people. My circle of friends from work and kid-related friends tend to be over-educated and along the lines of "sheeple" in the earnest, non-judgmental meaning of the term. Most of their views are of guns as dangerous things that kill people, and so only police and bad guys have them. I don't want to be labeled as a "gun guy" for several reasons. I never open carry, or want people asking me if I "have a gun".

All of which really means....I don't like standard clips OR J-clips without a cover garment.

My new CTAC for the 1911 has clips, but I couldn't effectively tuck that hog anyway.