Knife control?...what next?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RangerM9, May 27, 2005.

1. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

2. Alabama

Alabama New Member

Let's not forget the long flathead screwdrivers, well known to go on rampages across the globe :lol: :lol:

3. Ripped

Ripped New Member

thats some funny ISH

4. alagator

alagator New Member

Don't laugh too hard... I just got back from six weeks over there, and about the third day my English girlfriend noticed the clip to my pocket knife. She told me that it was illegal to carry (the blade is a fearsome 3 1/2 inches), and that if the Bobbies saw it I could be deported. This was a nation that ruled half the world at one time, and they did it with guns and bayonettes. Now the peaceful folks live in fear of gangs of thugs. There aren't enough police to prevent crime, and when they successfully investigate the courts seem more interested in rehabilitating the criminals than in protecting the victims. I am working real hard to get her over here, and last time she was in Alabama I introduced her to a sweet little hammerless purse 38. She really enjoyed a little plinking, but declined an opportunity with the 870. Maybe I could start a little business flying Brits over for a shooting holiday with some long pointy knives thrown in for good measure.:lol:

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

An American chef, however, disagreed with the proposal. "This is yet another sign of the coming apocalypse," said Anthony Bourdain, the executive chef at Les Halles and the author of "Kitchen Confidential."

A knife, he said, is a beloved tool of the trade, and not a thing to be shaped by bureaucrats. A chef's relationship with his knives develops over decades of training and work, he said, adding, "Its weight, its shape - these are all extensions of our arms, and in many ways, our personalities."

He compared the editorial to efforts to ban unpasteurized cheese. "Where there is no risk," he said, "there is no pleasure."
    More Articles in International >
    Click here to download a copy of Today's New York Times

GAWD I LOVE TONY BOURDAIN!!!!!

Everyone who ever thinks of going out to eat should read that book!!!
    I seriously made each member of my family read it, it shows why restaurant people and polite society don't mix!

the nightline special where they took the cameras into his kitchen was also a blast, more bleeps per second than howard stern could ever dream of ....

"IF I DON'T GET THAT DAMN STREAK IN MY WINDOW IN TEN SECONDS MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE, 10, 9 , 8 ,7, JORGE YOU SON OF A BITCH THESE MUSSELLS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE NO PROCUITTO 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, THERE WHE GO FINALY A DAMN STEAK"

"WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SHEET, I ASKED FOR 50 LBS OF SNAPPER AND YOU SENT ME F'ING MINNOWS, I CAN'T SELL THIS SHEET. NO WAY AM I PAYING FOR THIS AND YOU BETTER HAVE ME 50 LBS OF MY GOD DARNED FISH HERE IN ONE HOUR OR KISS MY ACCOUNT GOODBYE"

anyways, the local range i go to does an incredible business in brits coming over and renting guns. I've seen tourists in there blowing $200+ dollars in ammo and rentals of uzi's, thompson's, pistols, shotguns. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION theyare the closest range to the tourist areas.

6. alagator

alagator New Member

And I thought I was on to an original idea. In my own defense, we don't get many international tourists in my neck of the woods. Now, I've just got to be creative here, surely there is some way to exploit this knife thing. Well-meaning but stupid social legislation always creates opportunities for the cunning (see Capone, Al or Kennedy, Joe and Prohibition).
    Here's my take on the whole thing-- If they take away the kitchen knives, the Brits will just find some other way to kill each other after a night of pub-crawling. That wonderful ale they drink is 6-7% alcohol, and over there a pint holds 20 oz. And if you think it is all castles and daffodils, there are some pubs there with an ambience that would fit right in down in LA (Lower Alabama). :wink:

7. Alabama

Alabama New Member

mmmmmmmmmm...
    The Tiki...
    The Florabama
    Bogarts (Rip :cry:
    PAPA ROCCO's!!!

Sometimes I wish I'd never gotten old enough to drink wherever I want to... :roll:

8. alagator

alagator New Member

Yeah, where I grew up there was a cluster of five bars just across the state line in Florida. One of them was "repectable" which meant the shootings were out in the parking lot instead of inside like the other four. That was a great place for a teenager to learn to keep your mouth shut and your eyes off other men's women. Lessons: If the lights go out, head for a wall and slide along-- it will take you to a door or window. If a woman starts screaming and pulls a 25 out of her purse--dive for the floor immediately-- the only one not gravely endangered is her intended target! Man, you couldn't pay me to go in those places today. I am looking forward to the re-opening of the FloraBama-- I wish I had a $10 bill for every wedding ring that has been taken off at the front door of that place!! :lol:

9. Ripped

Ripped New Member

Chef , what range do you frequent? reigs? EOSS?Oak ridge?

10. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

usually oak ridge, except Mon nights at East Orange for "practical" sessions

ORGR is kinda the worst range to shoot at (cramped and dim), but I don't always get charged :wink: and woody will ALWAYS beat any price i find on any toy or accessory. I've also converted a couple of the other regulars there to steyrs

GAWD the Florabama 8O there's a place I've not thought of in probably a decade