Kel-Tec 308

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by MrApathy, Jan 17, 2007.

1. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

saw the pdf and pics of this released at shot show. Kel-Tec
    seems to be a nice company. doing some innovative things.

pdf brochure for the interested
    http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downloads ... 07_web.pdf

I think the ejection system is too exotic. looks good in theory.
    what would one have to do to fix a jam in that.
    though I have seen ar15 and ak47 do some interesting things. cartridge getting caught or winding up where they shouldnt.
    heck I got a saiga that can store spare 7.62x39 cartridge in the frame around the FCG. at a shoot saw a ar15 lodge a case above the bolt forcing disassembly and stopped shooting up for long while with the gun.

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Not coming through on my end.............. :(

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

try right click save as
    need a program like adobe acrobat to view pdf files.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

there it is.......cool.......$$$ ? and does it have lefty ejection......?? [-o<

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

not sure how much. kel-tec's dont go close to msrp though rifles seem to do better value wise.

uses fal mags IIRC not sure if inch or metric.

I am all for 308 rifles using magazines availible. too bad its not HK mags they are so inexpensive selling for $2-$5 a piece cheaperthandirt and other places were damn near giving them away when the AWB fell.

casings are sent through a ejection above and parallel to the barrel.
    they say its lefty friendly but just wait till you see it, I think its crazy.

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

ummmmm, the price probably makes it in the category of "I'd rather have an M1" anyway........bottom ejection would be better (maybe)...... :?:

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

garand or m1a?

read up on springfield and m1a before you purchase.

cmp is good route for a rifle.

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Coming in '08 or here now: You choose

From the Kel-Tec website: http://kel-tec.com/news.html

KEL-TEC RFB Rifle Announced at 2007 SHOT show: The RFB is a Forward ejecting Bullpup rifle chamber for the 7.62 NATO Cartridge ( .308 Winchester). Three different barrel lengths will be available ranging from 18" to 32". The first RFB's are expected to ship during the first quarter of 2008.

So. Hold your tater until '08. Hope it's not timed like a new Windows release.

At least Kel-Tec showed at SHOT. Wonder where the Steyr rumor-mongers were hiding at the show?

Speaking of SHOT news, that "Augs made in the U.S." post also says the 6.8mm version of the "famous XCR" ain't pie in the sky, it's here now in "5.56x45mm, 6.8 Remington SPC (6.8x43mm), and 7.62x39mm. A 7.62x51mm (.308 Win.) version should be available soon."

The XCR's "an ambidextrous rifle/carbine/subcarbine that is as reliable and durable under adverse conditions and high round count as an AK-47/AKM, while simultaneously offering superior ergonomics, accuracy, and accessory mounting/attachment options to the M4/M4A1 Carbine. Wow. Where do I sign up?"

Sounds like a lefty gun nut's dream come true. Maybe I'll add the XCR to my "next rifle" list, right after a Ruger .44 magnum carbine. Uh oh! Found the price halfway down the page: "The retail price of the standard XCR-L 5.56 is $1,249.99." I'll be saving my pennies for quite a while.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=669

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Both...... :lol:

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Re: Coming in '08 or here now: You choose

Not a bad price.....I've considered Robinson. I have one of their Russkie imports..........

11. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Nice!!!

Some months back I broke my piggy bank for a SOCOM II. $1850 well spent!
    ________
    mugdava

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Wulf <-- Would settle for a mini-ranch in 308 Win. 8-O

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I agree, little heftier barrel synth stock..........I'm in...lets call Ruger and put our orders in.............. =D>

14. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Guys!

I know Ruger is due to release The Mini in some new calibers, but I've heard nothing of 308 Win. I've gotta Mini Thirty(7.62x39) that I've had for over 10 Years and just recently added a Eotech552 for good measure. :D
    ________
    mugdava

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

No kidding ?????? that would be interesting..........a mini 30cal......or 6.8

16. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

My Mini Thirty(30cal) is the old blued finish w/ a non-synth stock(wood), no longer an option w/ Ruger. I don't think the 6.8 is gonna be an option until summer(or later!). The Mini is notorious for it's bad sights, so the red dot was a nice addition. I've also gotta Eotech552 on my SOCOM II(M1A).
    ________
    mugdava

17. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Hopefully the new upgrades on the mini include sights, supposedly the barrel and trigger have been improved........ 8)

18. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

At least I don't have to worry about blowing another $1,250 for at least a year.

19. The Keltec .308 Bullpup has forward ejection that is almost like the FN FS2000, which by and large has had decent reviews in terms of reliability and allows for true ambi-handling (ie. now you can go to your weak side with a Bullpup without taking brass in the face).

I am skeptical though as Keltec has not been known for their superior products up until this point they have kind of produced cheap firearms that have met with mixed reviews.

If they price this rifle at closer to the $1k mark than the $2k mark I think it will sell well.

I am a HUGE fan of bullpup rifles and this may be my rifle purchase for 08'.

20. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

that ejection is pretty strange......Being left handed has kept me from the bull-pup , and Steyr hasn't been available or affordable..........