Kel LRP-16

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Buzz, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Kel-Tec LRP-16 (.223)?
    Buzz

[​IMG]

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It's very cool, but I have some serious concerns about the effectiveness of .223 out of that short of a barrel...

On second thought, I suppose it's not a gadget made for anything more than social distances, anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Net, the LRP is an extremely loud gun, as you've said. Plus, Kel-Tec sells a muzzle break that reduces the muzzle jump (which isn't that bad to begin with) at the expense of sending shock waves sideways onto other shooters. I opted for a Vietnam era styled three-prong flash hider instead. It's going to be noisy one way or the other so I figured I would minimize discomfort to neighboring shooters. Also, enjoy the CZ. It reminds me a bit of my CZ97. The SP-01 is my favorite of the lot.

Syntax, the range reports that I've seen for the LRP indicates a surprisingly small loss of velocity and sub one inch groups at 100 yards (.75" with some ammo) and very respectable groups at 200. Most seem to scope these guns as they are accurate far more distant than one can see. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to use this gun for other than fun shooting, but for now I'm going to start with a reflex holographic sight and maybe go to something with magnification down the road.

Another reason why I acquired this gun as I'd bet dollars to donuts that it will soon be banned. The writing is on the wall. With the top serious contenders for the presidency (in both parties) the future president will almost certainly abandon the Second Amendment like rats on a sinking ship. If a few more miscreants shoot up a mall or a school the game is over. Buy them now.

Buzz

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Care to share a few sources? I'm real curious how one could keep close to the same velocities while losing 7-11" of barrel...

From the Kel-Tec webpage...
    [​IMG]

The muzzle velocity is already at the minimum required speed to get fragmentation from standard M193 and SS109. I would call a 650fps loss pretty substantial (compared to the standard 20"). Methinks they should have opted for a 1:7 twist instead of 1:9 - at least then you might have better luck with some of the heavier hollowpoints. A six inch drop at 200 yards seems pretty rainbow-like...

I DEFINITELY wouldn't opt for anything with magnification...
    [​IMG]

A beta c-mag, on the other hand, would be pretty wicked. :twisted:

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Read it in a review. I'll share it if I come across it. BTW, I never said that it was "close to the same" velocity. It did drop off but not nearly as much as they expected it to. That's all that I recall. It really matters little to me as an issue.

Buzz

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I'd also add that I'm not really looking at this gun for self defense. The velocities that I have seen chronographed, if memory serves correctly, were between 2150 and 2500 fps which are certainly significant for a handgun, but, as you have pointed out, inadequate for fragmentation (other than varmint rounds). As there seems to be a great variance with velocities between rounds, and some might even approach fragmentation velocity, it really isn't that kind of gun. Most seem to look at it for varminting, small game hunting, and punching holes in paper at much greater than typical pistol shooting distances, where some very tight groups have been reported, especially using Black Hills. The gun is also a fun toy adding another dimension to the enjoyment of shooting. I own the gun for the same reason that I will eventually own something like a derringer: two extremes, but each offering a unique experience.

Buzz

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Here's one of the reviews that mentioned less velocity loss than expected: http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_PLR-16.htm

"I tried the PLR-16 with a variety of ammunition, as mentioned above. While the short barrel does sacrifice some velocity, it does not lose as much as I expected. For example, ball ammo that clocked 3088 feet-per-second (fps) from a sixteen inch barreled AR-15, still achieved a respectable 2670 fps from the short-barreled Kel-Tec."

That's somewhat better.

Buzz

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Here's the gun with the basics added including Magpul polymer mags:
    [​IMG]

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That looks pretty good - gotta love the p-mags :twisted:.

Probably a stupid question :wall:, but is that one yours, or just a pic of a modded one you stumbled across?

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

This one is mine. I took some pics yesterday as I do with every gun that I own. The only thing left to add is the loop for the single point sling. Eventually the cheapo holographic sight will be replaced by either an Eotech or the Aimpoint Micro which can also be used on my Brugger & Thomet.

I agree, the pmags are very nice. The main thing is to make sure they are dated 7/07 and later. Magpul is replacing mag bodies on those produced earlier than that.

BTW, a beta-C mag would be wicked, but I doubt I could lift the darn thing to shoot it!

I think this gun is going to be pretty much a range toy. They are selling it as a varmint gun and target pistol, but I don't have much need for varminting in suburban Atlanta, and for a target pistol in .223 I'd probably go with something like a Thompson Contender. My range only goes out to 100 yards so it will fill the bill anyway.

Buzz

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Looks awesome to me! Maybe add a more wicked flash hider (is the barrel threaded?), or perhaps a green laser - 31 rounds from the hip placed through the bullseye as fast as you can pull the trigger would surely put a smile on your face :mrgreen:.

I'll bet it would be a tank with a c-mag :lol:

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The last time I tried shooting from the hip was a Franchi Law 12. I almost ended up on the ground. That gun could put eight twelve gauge rounds down range in something like 2.3 seconds. It was a great gun but a royal pain to strip and clean.

I have seen videos of guys bump-firing the LRP but that kind of thing doesn't appeal to me, at least in a financial sense. Plus, I'd get thrown off the range!

But, the LRP does look wicked, and that would really tick of the gun-grabbers, so that's okay by me.

I'm wondering if they went with a 1:9 twist rather than a 1:7 twist to burn off more of the powder (I do know that incomplete burn is an issue with short barrel rifles) and maybe increase velocity. I admit that I'm not at all knowedgable about ballistics so maybe/probably I'm way off on that.

Buzz

14. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Good advice. I did so, ordering one today. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I went with the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom. I like their stuff and use their flip-up sights on my AR. I couldn't bring myself to get one with those jagged front edges. You could hurt someone with that :oops:

Buzz

[​IMG]

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Why not the Jagged Edged One, Buzz?

Who ya afraid of hurting????

I have the jagged Edge one.....

....Hopefully never have to use it!!!!

:| :|

16. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Myself.