Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looking forward to checking it out but the link isn't working for me either. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The link was corrected ... sorry, my bad.

Once you get there, follow the next procedure.

(click these thumbnails to see full res pictures)

Initial screen and "3D" button

Browse parts list until you find "M9A1_Assembled.SLDASM".
You can select any other part, but in that case you'll be able to see only that specific part.

Expand the parts list clicking "+"

Make the list dialog taller to see more parts.

By means of those "+"s you can switch on and off every single single part to be included or not in the display, always keeping its relative position.
Rotate display with left click+drag, move it with right click+drag. Or use the white-on-red upper right arrowheads

In this case only the "multifunction element" is selected.

If you check on everything and de-select these parts and the frame (not shown here), you will be able to see all triggering and firing mechanism.

You can explode any view (after selecting parts). Right hand side cursor controls the distance of parts from the center of the view.

Longitudinal cut view. Dragging the center orange arrow you can change the cutting plane position. Changing the cutting plane on the right (X, Y or Z) you can get the vertical (Y) and horizontal (x) cut views.

Distances and angles measurements.

And that's all folks ... peruse and enjoy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way ... there's a Grabcad app for Android v4. You can get most of display functions from your tablet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now this is pretty darn awesome. Going to be one of the most useful tools available for learning. Should be turned into a sticky at some point.....After everyone has seen it first of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had one of the new actions (with the bearing over the firing pin) I could model it. It can be done also from drawings, but somebody should take very accurate measurements ... or get original blueprints :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Teruteru314,

does this mean you have the exact measurements for cuts in the slide for sights?
If you are willing to share that data, it could really help on the quest for finding aftermarket sights meant for other manufacturers (say Sig, XD etc.).

Nice work all and all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jusa, I believe sights dimensions and position are correct. I have measured them from a real specimen with precision caliper ... although I didn't disassembled them.

Which are the dimensions you need to know/confirm ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Teruteru314, that sounds promising! The 'leg' of rear sight and all of its dimensions are interesting. We call the cut in the slide 'fish tail cut', not sure you use that term in English, but measurements, and angles in which the metal is cut.. ..everything to produce a rear sight. If AutoCAD version of - either slide or rear sight of your model - is exportable, that should do the trick.

Jusa, I believe sights dimensions and position are correct. I have measured them from a real specimen with precision caliper ... although I didn't disassembled them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for the corrected link.

·
Registered
27 Posts

As a shooter who prefers a "conventional" sight picture, having a drawing that could be emailed to to sight manufacturers would be invaluable!

If you could post a screen shot or file showing:

Height of the front and rear dovetails
Width at top of the front and rear dovetails
Width at the bottom of the front and rear dovetails
Angle of the front and rear dovetails.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'll try to put together a drawing of both sights "fish tail" ("dove tail" in english, "cola de milano" in spanish :) ) seats.

But bear in mind I can not guarantee they are mechanically exact further than a good old measurement.

In the end, they may need some experimentation until a good fit is achieved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope this is what you were looking for.

BTW, I don't think is important but the width of dove tails are 21 millimeters the rear sight and 20 millimeters the front sight.

Rectangle Slope Line Plot Font

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, really I thought I had already answered your question Sentinel ... but apparently the answer didn't got through.

It is certainly possible IF ...
- either you have got Steyr blueprints (veeery dificult to achieve)
- or I can get my hands on one L-A1 model to disassemble it and measure every single part ... also very difficult; is a model not yet sold in my country
- or somebody else with some mechanical measurement experience takes all measures for me

I believe that the rear side of polymer frame and all the "small parts" (caddy, sear, trigger, safety, springs, pins, etc.etc.) have the same dimensions, and the changes should be on the front side of the frame, the barrel and slide length, and the recoil spring guide ... but this is just a wild guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts