'Just ordered an MA1 in 9mm - you guys are good!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by kraigster414, Nov 11, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

After my dismal experience with the S&W M&P, I was a little gun shy (no pun intended) about running out to buy a new gun that I am not familiar with, let alone one that I've never even handled but I pulled the trigger today (again, no pun intended)....I just ordered online a brand new MA1 in 9mm that should arrive at my local dealer's shop next week. I can't wait! You guys really sold me. Tell me I did good or I'm the cheapest date on the planet.

Again great site, thanks to all for the feedback.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I don't know, you may be the cheapest date on the planet, but you definitely did good to "pull the trigger" on a Steyr. Wait until you really pull the trigger and then you'll know for sure that you made a smart move. :mrgreen:

3. Congratulations.

You're about to become a member of a club of pistol owners who aren't entranced by marketing or who follow the herd, but instead seek out the best pistol available. You'll have a hard time keeping a straight face when you here other pistols marketed as having a "natural point," after owning a Steyr.

Make sure to read the cleaning tutorial and IDPA grip tutorial. Check out the holster thread and unless you're looking to torture test probably best to keep to good pistol ammunition like WWB and CCI Blazer Brass. Avoid Wolf, Range Reloads, and even Remington UMC like the ebola virus for the first 500 rounds.

Have fun at the Range and keep us up-to-date.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

welcome to the club.

and please, i'd like to see more puns. truly an enjoyable part of any language.

range report required!!!

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Bigtaco, the only thing missing is your wizbang recoil spring assembly. :D

As soon as I get my gun, the spring is off to you for a "rodectomy" not to be confused with a colonoscopy.

6. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Yep, I learned my lesson with UMC in my brand spanin' new Walther P99 compact 9mm. I had failures to fire and failure of the slide to return to full battery for the first couple hundred rounds. I had no idea it was the ammo until I started reading the forums. In fact with the Walther P99, they say you should start with a couple hundred 124 vs. 115 grainers to break things in. I get Federal Hydra-Shoks (standard load 124 grain) free so I'll probably start with that. When it's on my own nickel, I too use WWB and Blazer Brass.. For carry, I am a big fan of the Corbon DPX - I hope the latter is a reliable round in the M9A1.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I am enjoying this site very much. :)

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, Kraigster* :shock:

Send me bouta 1K rounds, for tax purposes. :twisted:

Wulf

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

And here she is!! 'Just picked her up today (Davidson's shipped overnight to my local shop). I can't wait to go to the range this weekend. That's a Lone Wolf medium slip on grip by the way. It has no finger grooves. I don't think I need finger grooves on top of finger grooves.

Fraulein Steyr pictured below is lubed and read to go ( Hmm. That didn't sound too good did it?). Ok , she's been prepped and is ready to be fired (not sure that's any better but you get my meaning. :))

[​IMG]

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

There's a new grip I hadn't heard of, the Lone Wolf medium? Looks just a bit shorter than the Hogue slip-on but I like that texture and you're right, you really don't need more finger grooves when the grip already has them.

Let us know how the grip works out as well as the pistol. :mrgreen:

10. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Net, I have the same Lone Wolf medium size slip-on on my HK P2000 and it works great. It can be ordered online at the Lone Wolf website. They also make a large and I'm wondering how that would do on the M9A1.

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey Kraigster* :)

Our contact at Lone Wolf Distr is JR Shepard. Should any SC member wish to purchase anything from Lone Wolf, ask for JR and tell 'im you're a Steyrclub member and thanx for the extra mile. I'll know more in the next few weeks, but we're workin' onna Club discount for SC members. We're nearly 3K members strong now and its time to start takin' advantage of our purchasing power as a group, IMHO. Don't be scared ta talk ta the sales staff and spread the word. Take 'er easy, Bro. :)

Wulf

12. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Wulf, JR and I are pals from Glock Talk. Heck of a guy. (Ask him about moose hunting some time.) I was one of the testers of his 3.5 lb. Glock connector when still in prototype and am a major fan of his Glock barrels. JR! Take care of us! kraigster414 (Rich)

13. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

+1 (+3!!) on JR and Lone Wolf Distributors. I kind of screwed up my order for a threaded Glock 17 barrel and some other bits but JR couldn't have been more helpful and fair. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy again from LWD.

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest